Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone successfully applied to Uni using UK results

Wikiposts

Anyone successfully applied to Uni using UK results

Old May 26th 2005, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone successfully applied to Uni using UK results

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
Our eldest son is taking his A levels as we speak and has been accepted (subject to results of course) at all his uni choices here in the UK. However now that we have our visas we are hoping to be in Melbourne by September. As a PR we believe he is entitled to apply for uni, but its uncertain whether he will get a commonwealth assisted place like an austrailan citizen would because that is determined on their ENTER score apparently and we don't understand how this will be determined for UK qualifications. If anyone can advise on this we would be really grateful, as we certainly don't want to leave him behind to do his degree here, he wants to study Marine biology, but also don't want to get to Oz and fine he can't get in!!

Went to Melbourne University web site, searched for undergraduate courses, PR Visa holder, A levels, searched for Marine Biology course and found this:

GCE Cambridge 'A' Levels: Mathematics and two of Biology, Chemistry, Physics and at least grade C in an accepted AS Level English subject (General Paper, General Studies, English Language and Literature, English Literature, English Language). Students with grades of ABB(13) may complete Mathematics and one of Biology, Chemistry or Physics.

GCE Cambridge 'A' Levels: Mathematics and two of Biology, Chemistry, Physics and at least grade C in an accepted AS Level English subject (General Paper, General Studies, English Language and Literature, English Literature, English Language). Students with grades of ABB (13) may complete Mathematics and one of Biology, Chemistry or Physics.

English language requirements

Entry scores

Required minimum entry scores (fee-based places) 2005
GCE "A" Level CCC(9)

It still sounds like gobbledygook to me though. Maybe it means that it's better if you get grades of ABB but if you only get CCC you can get a fee-based place? My problem is that my son did not carry on with English after GCSE. He has done Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Politics. Here they are saying they want at least AS in English. I suppose there must be a way round it. It seems the online admissions process starts in August for 2006 entry. Not sure if I'm helping here
Your helping a lot, believe me!! Grades for entry seem really high in comparison to those offered by UK universities, most of his offers have been BBC or BCC. Hope he can push himself to get the higher grades, but don't think I'll mention it to him until after he's finished his exams, they can only do their best after all!

Other problem we'll have is also that he took the subjects recommended for UK uni's, i.e 2 sciences and one other, so he's doing Biology, Environmental science and French plus AS Chemistry and A2 General studies, which is compulsory at his college but useless for exam entry at UK universities of course. Like you no Engish and Maths past GCSE.

I think they may be able to do a foundation course or something as a type of bridging unit when they arrive, but not sure how this works either. Its all a real mine field, just hope we're doing the right thing in turning down his UK places and taking him :scared:

If you get any other info regarding this would greatly appreciate it.