Reload this Page >

Anyone successfully applied to Uni using UK results

Anyone successfully applied to Uni using UK results

Old May 25th 2005, 11:46 am
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy

PortJackson is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone successfully applied to Uni using UK results

Hello
Has anyone here successfully gained a place in an Australian Uni using their UK school results and / or previous 3rd level qualifications?

Just trying to get an idea on the comparison on UK requirements to Australian.

Thanks if you can help
Old May 25th 2005, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

noregrets will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone successfully applied to Uni using UK results

Originally Posted by PortJackson
Hello
Has anyone here successfully gained a place in an Australian Uni using their UK school results and / or previous 3rd level qualifications?

Just trying to get an idea on the comparison on UK requirements to Australian.

Thanks if you can help
Hi Im not sure what 3rd level qualifications are but I have been accepted at an aus uni with my uk degree. The best thing to do is look up a university in the state you want as they all seem to have prospective international students link and you should find the requirements there - even if you dont have them all offer foundation courses - its just that bumps up the expense.

good luck

george
Old May 25th 2005, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by noregrets
Hi Im not sure what 3rd level qualifications are but I have been accepted at an aus uni with my uk degree. The best thing to do is look up a university in the state you want as they all seem to have prospective international students link and you should find the requirements there - even if you dont have them all offer foundation courses - its just that bumps up the expense.

good luck

george
thanks
Sorry 3rd level = Uni / college level i.e degree/Diploma/cert etc.
Mind me asking your previous degree and current course of study. foundations look a possiblity ~ thanks
Old May 25th 2005, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

thanks
Sorry 3rd level = Uni / college level i.e degree/Diploma/cert etc.
Mind me asking your previous degree and current course of study. foundations look a possiblity ~ thanks

Oops should have known that then!!

I ve done a uk law degree, and I have applied to Bond uni gold coast who assessed the degree (paid 250AUD and had to send certificate, certified copies of transcripts and degree structure and marking criteria) they told me I have to do 5 undergraduate subjects -some I have done but it is the aus equivalent. Then I'm doing the legal training programme which will qualify me as an Australian solicitor. It will be expensive but it just about breaks even with the legal training here which is why I decided to do it in OZ

What are you thinking of studying ?

george
Old May 25th 2005, 12:31 pm

I ve done a uk law degree, and I have applied to Bond uni gold coast who assessed the degree (paid 250AUD and had to send certificate, certified copies of transcripts and degree structure and marking criteria) they told me I have to do 5 undergraduate subjects -some I have done but it is the aus equivalent. Then I'm doing the legal training programme which will qualify me as an Australian solicitor. It will be expensive but it just about breaks even with the legal training here which is why I decided to do it in OZ

george
Thanks
Engineering UNSW - 4 years but have PR already under my belt which is a good thing. But as I already have PR not sure how many places they would offer to a "local" student as compared to a student visa applicant (more cash for Uni etc). Hence the questions
ATB with the conversion (undergrad subjects)
Old May 25th 2005, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Parker is on a distinguished road

I went to an international school but we did UK exams and got UK qualifications. Loads of kids went to Australia to attend uni and at that time there was no issue with UK school qualifications being accepted.

No idea about uni level qualifications but know that certain vocational training like teaching and law and even medicine (not nursing) may not be recognised in various states and require additional study and Aus qualifications.
Old May 25th 2005, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond repute

george
Sorry to jump onto this thread but Ive just had a quick look at http://www.bond.edu.au/law/prospects/rules.htm does this mean that once you sort out your degree etc, you just do the legal practice course and then you can go into practice without having done a 2 year training contract type thing ?

Might have a look at that myself.

cheers

Chaval
Old May 25th 2005, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks
Engineering UNSW - 4 years but have PR already under my belt which is a good thing. But as I already have PR not sure how many places they would offer to a "local" student as compared to a student visa applicant (more cash for Uni etc). Hence the questions
ATB with the conversion (undergrad subjects)

well I'm a bit lost on this one but I would not assume that uni's only take international students because their fees are higher. The fees are higher so that tax payers like you don't have to pay for foreigners like me to study there. I dont think that the universities profit regardless of which type of student they take, a course costs what it costs.

or am I being naive ?

george
Old May 25th 2005, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chaval
Sorry to jump onto this thread but Ive just had a quick look at http://www.bond.edu.au/law/prospects/rules.htm does this mean that once you sort out your degree etc, you just do the legal practice course and then you can go into practice without having done a 2 year training contract type thing ?

Might have a look at that myself.

cheers

Chaval

YES YES YES YES and only one exam to do if you decide to return to the uk!

there is method in my madness are you studying law now - I just wanted to know before I start rambling ?

george
Old May 25th 2005, 1:05 pm

well I'm a bit lost on this one but I would not assume that uni's only take international students because their fees are higher. The fees are higher so that tax payers like you don't have to pay for foreigners like me to study there. I dont think that the universities profit regardless of which type of student they take, a course costs what it costs.

or am I being naive ?

george
The way I read it is that there is a UAI points to enter Uni for what are know as local students. However if the student falls short of this they can actually apply as fee paying students ( approx 4 times as expensive compared to a commonwealth supported place) but they dont need the full points (UAI) can actually fall a little short. Then there are the international students who , again , pay more than local students and there are places set aside for them. Local and fee paying need PR but international are student visas (temp Res) So I believe the Uni's can set aside places for each of the above ~ sort of quota's. You are right Uni's get payed regardless but I think there may be more in it for them as regards international students. Hence my wondering if it is slightly harder to apply as a local student (lower fee's) with overseas quals.
I may be wrong on some/all of the above but it is my understanding from personal research
Old May 25th 2005, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond repute

YES YES YES YES and only one exam to do if you decide to return to the uk!

there is method in my madness are you studying law now - I just wanted to know before I start rambling ?

george
Not anymore..did the LLB...even passed the bar, just didnt do pupillage...
but feel free to ramble
Old May 25th 2005, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Hence my wondering if it is slightly harder to apply as a local student (lower fee's) with overseas quals.
I may be wrong on some/all of the above but it is my understanding from personal research

I'm sure they do have quotas but that is probably to ensure fairness (naive again!). I hope you can find a solution and i hope you are not thinking of applying for a student visa that would be madness as it is my understanding that your PR would be cancelled.

george
Old May 25th 2005, 1:20 pm

I'm sure they do have quotas but that is probably to ensure fairness (naive again!). I hope you can find a solution and i hope you are not thinking of applying for a student visa that would be madness as it is my understanding that your PR would be cancelled.

george
Ah no will certainly be as a PR. However as you know with this whole " different culture" it is hard to get a grasp on what your actual level is i.e if it was a UK uni I could easily calculate what my chances are. With Aus I am waiting and hoping someone at the Uni's will get back to me a give an idea what my UAI would be and plan accordingly ~ will it be a foundation course, possible entry straght in to 1st year on quals or forget it
Old May 25th 2005, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chaval
Not anymore..did the LLB...even passed the bar, just didnt do pupillage...
but feel free to ramble

OMG you have done the bvc too - I'm sure there would be a way of getting your qualifications recognised in the Oz. Surly you would be qualified to work there without a vast amount of extra study defiantly as a paralegal

anyway the solicitor route - whereas here the law society has 7 subjects of compulsory study in Oz it is called the priestly eleven So the LLB depending on the electives you took in the UK requires 4 - 8 additional undergraduate subjects before next stage.

Dont really know very much about the barrister route in either UK or Oz.

the legal training programme might be a good route same as LPC but no 2 year traing contract, but it seems a waste of the bvc.

george

Last edited by noregrets; May 25th 2005 at 1:31 pm.
Old May 26th 2005, 1:05 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

george
PRs can study freely, and no-one with PR should even *think* of applying for any other kind of visa, such as a student visa. Unless they want to lose PR.

Jeremy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.