Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone studying Child Care in Queensland?

Anyone studying Child Care in Queensland?

Old Dec 5th 2007, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

Davey n Di is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone studying Child Care in Queensland?

Hi,

We are going to Queensland in April (hopefully) if all goes well, and I will be studying on a child care course. Going with the two kids (and hubby), so this is a big move for us and we don't want to have to come back. Once we go that will be it, don't think we would ever get back onto the property ladder if we had to come back.

Obviously I am a little bit sceptical about the whole student visa thing (as it seems to be running quite smoothly at the moment and is a huge outlay).

Has anyone else been on this course, or have anything to say about it?

Regards,
Di
Old Dec 6th 2007, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

AHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone studying Child Care in Queensland?

Originally Posted by Davey n Di
Hi,

We are going to Queensland in April (hopefully) if all goes well, and I will be studying on a child care course. Going with the two kids (and hubby), so this is a big move for us and we don't want to have to come back. Once we go that will be it, don't think we would ever get back onto the property ladder if we had to come back.

Obviously I am a little bit sceptical about the whole student visa thing (as it seems to be running quite smoothly at the moment and is a huge outlay).

Has anyone else been on this course, or have anything to say about it?

Regards,
Di
Hi Di, you may need to provide more details of your course so people know which one you are referring to.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Just to warn you, TRA told me that the child care diploma and advanced diploma are NOT enough to pass you for the TRA for child care co-ordinator. A couple of agents are still saying this course is fine to then get perminant residency with, others are saying it isn't. Personaly I would go with that the TRA say as they are the ones who make the decisions.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

Yeah, I read your response to something similar about this on another thread, that is why I was asking the question, as I am slightly worried about it all.

My agent told me that the TRA assessment (factsheet on their website) is for Child Care Coordinators (qualified in another country) and that they would need to have at least three years experience after qualifying. I was advised that this will not apply to me as I will be obtaining the Diploma in Australia.

I will be studying at LITC in Coolangatta.

What agents have you spoken to?

Di
Old Dec 6th 2007, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

I asked the TRA speciafically about qualifications obtained in Australia and that was still what they told me, and another agent. A friend of my hubbies cousin is studying it in Adelaide and has also been told the only way she can get PR afterwards is if she finds a sponsor, which I wouldn't think would be THAT hard if you were already out there, but just makes it that bit harder.

The e-mail address for TRA is [email protected] if you would like to ask them yourself. I would love to have done that course, but just could not afford to take the risk.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

My agent is getting me a sponsor before I even get there which is really good. Hopefully I'll have a telephone interview lined up with him next week sometime. This is in order that he knows I definately want to work in this particular area after I get my diploma. I will be coming off the student visa after the first year and then be sponsored and will study my diploma externally. If you are really keen on this course, and would love to work with kids then you could re-consider.

Di
Old Dec 6th 2007, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sorry, but how is he going to get you a sponsor and have you come off the student visa after a year? To get the 457 visa, which has to be one of the things on the skilled list, and the same standards apply you need to have relevant qualifications of at least a diploma, which takes two years.
If you were in rural Australia (which some of QLD is counted as) then you could get a regional sponsored migration scheme visa, but again you have to have the diploma already. I would double check that with another agent first, and read the immigration web site REALLY well.

George Lombard on here is really good, it would be worth asking him or JAJ if this is possible, as everything I have read on the immigration web site says it isn't (I failed at being sponsored on a 457 visa, with qualifications equivalent to a diploma, so I have read through them SO many times).

Good luck
Old Dec 6th 2007, 10:05 pm
Banned

LIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to all

Hello, another member has brought my attention to this thread and asked me to have a look at it.
If you would like me to have a serious look at your situation and plans I am happy to do so. It is extremely important that when you are planing a Study and Stay route to PR in Australia that you choose:
1/ A good and experienced education agent
2/ A good and experienced migration agent
I can refer you to a very experienced education agent based in Queensland. I have worked with her for years and she 'knows her stuff'. She will be able to work with you to ensure that the course you book into will lead to a successful skills assessment and then of course, permanent residency.
I was a little worried when I heard your agent will 'get you a sponsor' but without knowing more it could be completely fine. Are they helping you to find work in Australia? After the first year of study will you have the qualifications required for the position intended for nomination for the 457?
Happy to provide you with my thoughts if you want to PM me.
Liana
Old Dec 6th 2007, 11:19 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davey n Di
Hi,

My agent is getting me a sponsor before I even get there which is really good. Hopefully I'll have a telephone interview lined up with him next week sometime. This is in order that he knows I definately want to work in this particular area after I get my diploma. I will be coming off the student visa after the first year and then be sponsored and will study my diploma externally. If you are really keen on this course, and would love to work with kids then you could re-consider.

Di
Dear Davey and Di,

I am very concerned about the question of whether you could be approved by TRA on the basis of a qualification alone. While it is true that for some occupations there are different rules for offshore and onshore trained applicants, I am not aware of any differentiation with respect to the principles in the TRA Uniform Assessment Criteria, which is as follows:

14. Child Care Co-ordinator
14.1. Applicants must have completed a two year accredited post-secondary course in child care (diploma or advanced diploma) or three year accredited tertiary course in early childhood care or education.
14.2. Applicants must have three years supervisory experience that reflects the responsibilities, duties and tasks of a Child Care Co-ordinator. This must be obtained in an environment of substantial size and reputation and subject to a regulatory framework, and gained after the accredited course referred to above is completed.

Happy to be corrected on this, of course if someone knows better.

On the question of education agents, I would just add that education agents are insufficiently regulated in Australia with respect to migration advice.

So I would agree with Liana that if you are planning study as a pathway to permanent residence that you confirm with a migration agent that the pathway contemplated is viable.

It's also unfortunately the case that many education agents have commission arrangements with particular education providers and this aspect of the industry is also poorly regulated, imho. If you've been recommended to do a particular course or attend a particular institution, it's a simple matter to go to the CRICOS database at http://cricos.dest.gov.au/ to confirm that the provider and course are registered, and to look for other courses and providers which may be comparable in terms of course, location, cost, quality etc.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Dec 7th 2007, 2:33 am
Just Joined

Riborg S Andersen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Dear Davey and Di,

I am very concerned about the question of whether you could be approved by TRA on the basis of a qualification alone. While it is true that for some occupations there are different rules for offshore and onshore trained applicants, I am not aware of any differentiation with respect to the principles in the TRA Uniform Assessment Criteria, which is as follows:

14.1. Applicants must have completed a two year accredited post-secondary course in child care (diploma or advanced diploma) or three year accredited tertiary course in early childhood care or education.
14.2. Applicants must have three years supervisory experience that reflects the responsibilities, duties and tasks of a Child Care Co-ordinator. This must be obtained in an environment of substantial size and reputation and subject to a regulatory framework, and gained after the accredited course referred to above is completed.

On the question of education agents, I would just add that education agents are insufficiently regulated in Australia with respect to migration advice.

So I would agree with Liana that if you are planning study as a pathway to permanent residence that you confirm with a migration agent that the pathway contemplated is viable.

It's also unfortunately the case that many education agents have commission arrangements with particular education providers and this aspect of the industry is also poorly regulated, imho. If you've been recommended to do a particular course or attend a particular institution, it's a simple matter to go to the CRICOS database at http://cricos.dest.gov.au/ to confirm that the provider and course are registered, and to look for other courses and providers which may be comparable in terms of course, location, cost, quality etc.

Cheers,

George Lombard
I have been working with my migration agent partners in the "Study & Stay?" field, as an education agent, helping people wanting to maximise their chances of gaining Skilled Migration through study for many years.
I would not recommend anyone taking the Diploma of Child Care route, as it is virtually impossible for students to meet the Assessing Body's criteria. They need those 3 years of supervisory experience. To get to that level they may need to work 2 years, and then do 3 years. So, let alone all the visa issues, this works out to be a 2 yrs study +2 or more yrs low level work in a centre +3 years at supervisory level - a 2+2+3 year route to a job in an industry which pays so poorly that they can't attract or keep Aussies in their child Care centres.
There are much better more secure study routes which set people up for recognition in 60 Point Occupations - Cooking, Pastry, Baking, Accounting IT, Tecahing, Nursing, Hairdressing, Welfare Work, Automotive, Bricklaying, Cabinet-making, and many others.
And as George said, there are good and bad education agents - just like there are reliable and not so reliable migration agents - despite their profession being regulated!
There is a bit more to finding the best study option than looking up a course on CRICOS. Just because a course if registered on CRICOS does not mean it is actually run. It also doesn't meant that it will set people up for recognition in that particular occupation. A good education agent working together with a good migration agent, will ensure that people get it right the first time, and maximise their chances of getting the outcome they desire.
Riborg
Old Jan 13th 2008, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

scrappyrosie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, just thought that i would add my thoughts, i have childcare qualifications that are recognised in Australia but have shied away from taking the diploma course as childcare is not on the skills list even though there are lots of jobs available. Play safe go for a course that the skills are needed. xx
Old Jan 13th 2008, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

lossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nice

hey there what childcare qualification do you have ?

am abit stuck on where i would fit in i have my hnc childcare and education
Old Jan 13th 2008, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scrappyrosie
Hello, just thought that i would add my thoughts, i have childcare qualifications that are recognised in Australia but have shied away from taking the diploma course as childcare is not on the skills list even though there are lots of jobs available. Play safe go for a course that the skills are needed. xx
Hi there,

Yeah...I'm not going to do the Childcare course anymore. I took the advise of everyone above and am now going to Sunshine Coast to study Welfare Work (60 point occupation on skills list). Start in July and looking forward to it. As far as I was aware Childcare Co-ordinator is on the skills list and is also a 60 point occupation, just very hard to get into on a study and stay route...best to avoid.

Thank you to everyone who replied to this thread in the first place, you have all been a BIG help.

Di
Old Jan 13th 2008, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lossiepickle
hey there what childcare qualification do you have ?

am abit stuck on where i would fit in i have my hnc childcare and education
it all depends on which state you are going to, to whether or not your qualification is accepted.

sam
Old Jan 13th 2008, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Dear Davey and Di,

Cheers,

George Lombard
That is perfectly correct Mr Lombard!
I think a lot of people will struggle with the 3 yrs senior/supervisory experience as in the uk the qualification accepted (level 3) is the most common qualification required for a general nursery nurse/teaching assistant. People will only meet the requirements if they have managerial responsibilities in the uk.

sam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.