Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone still struggling to find work in Oz due to job scarcity?

Anyone still struggling to find work in Oz due to job scarcity?

Old Jun 30th 2010, 12:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone still struggling to find work in Oz due to job scarcity?

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Available from October is what I meant. I realise it can take a while so I have a plan to use that time wisely.

Ok so after three months, most should be able to find something.

Was just wondering about the general availability of jobs now compared to last year.
There is nothing to stop you applying now if you have your visa sorted and know when you will be arriving

I applied for a job whilst still in the UK and had 2 offers to choose from before arriving so it is definitely worth doing!

Check out www.seek.com.au and explain in the application that you are in the UK and will be arriving in Sept

Good Luck xx
Old Jun 30th 2010, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

tartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant future

In my experience, in Perth, jobs are very easy to come by. My wife is an accountant and found work within 3 weeks of arriving. Not a lower or inferior position, and no Australia experience. She actually got 2 job offers on the same day!

Lots of people like to be negative and call it being 'realistic'. However, a positive proactive approach to employment will be a good place to start. For every doom and gloom, there is a positive experience.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 4:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Flippin burgers aint that easy either!

My 16 year old is still looking for part time work, ( at school ) as are most of his mates, the bloody manger at hungry jacks asked him if he could take time off school to do the morning shift!!!! I was bloody furious if thats what they are asking kids.

Manger at woolworths, was nicer, I know the process to get into a supermarket is 2 interviews and testing etc, but he at least explained they were not hiring except for new stores at the mo.

As for the age thing, ( you said friend over 50 ) I am amazed they can still ask age, in canada USA that is a big no no, UK?? anyone know? . Mind you when I worked for an employer was asked my marital status, how many kids I had what I planned to do with them? Not amused their father was never asked the same question!!
I was going to say the same thing. From where I stand, age is kind of irrelevant and jobs in Hungry Jacks etc are in short supply. My eldest was lucky enough to get permanent part time in Woolies a couple of years ago but she's looking for something else and there's sod all out there. My youngest did a Barista course to give her a step up but again, jobs are few and far between.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

There don't seem to be many threads or posts anymore, compared to a year ago, about new arrivals not finding work quickly or easily.

As we're planning to be there in September (Brisbane - start work in October), I was wondering if most people have found work now or are still struggling to find a job?
It all depends what you do. All i advise is try and do everything you can in the uk so that when you land you are ready to hit the ground running. Also ring all recruitment companies from the uk and see what response you get. Just be very careful mate and way up the pros and cons. Try and base all your findings on matter of fact and dont get caught up in the "were off out of this dump" mentality. I work with very down to earth "working class ozzies" and talk is lately that when all the infrastruture work is completed in brisbane workwise things are going to get very tight. Make sure you bring plenty of disposable cash to get you up and running. $1000 dollars a week here is not a lot of money.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Not easy to find what you want in Adelaide,, must be true what they say `its who you know, not what you know`. I have 8yrs experience in my profession and didnt get 2 jobs I applied for !!!! going for jobs that I dont really want to do now just to get money coming in. Hubby struggling loads for anything casual at all here.

Bluekipper
Old Jun 30th 2010, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

I was lucky to get a job before I landed, but as it is with a multinational financial firm I had to do 4 ineterviews (two by videolink, 2 by phone) and 2 lots of exams then a big background check, in total it took over 2 months.

I think that some companies have pretty long recruitment processes here. the downside is I feel I've been at work since I arrived and haven't had much time to aclimatise.

Coldest June day in 61 years in Sydney today too!
Old Jun 30th 2010, 7:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reedy
There is nothing to stop you applying now if you have your visa sorted and know when you will be arriving

I applied for a job whilst still in the UK and had 2 offers to choose from before arriving so it is definitely worth doing!

Check out www.seek.com.au and explain in the application that you are in the UK and will be arriving in Sept

Good Luck xx
Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
This is the key. It may take 3 months to get a job but you can start the three months off before you reach Australia.

I rang several agents and companies from the UK and had 3 interviews set up for the week after I arrived. Landed July 3, interviews July 10-12, Job offer July 14, started work July 30 (delay at my request).

BB
Originally Posted by freebo
I was lucky to get a job before I landed, but as it is with a multinational financial firm I had to do 4 ineterviews (two by videolink, 2 by phone) and 2 lots of exams then a big background check, in total it took over 2 months.

I think that some companies have pretty long recruitment processes here. the downside is I feel I've been at work since I arrived and haven't had much time to aclimatise.

Coldest June day in 61 years in Sydney today too!

Yes thanks everyone. It appears that starting the ball rolling from here is the way to go. Will start working on it asap.

We want to have a bit of a holiday in September too, but still be available for work/interviews etc...
Old Jun 30th 2010, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

We want to have a bit of a holiday in September too, but still be available for work/interviews etc...
That was my plan too, didn't happen and in some ways I wish it had, instead I'm back to being a wage slave. Good luck though mate
Old Jun 30th 2010, 8:16 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Well in our house we had the two extremes. I got two job offers before I left the UK and started 2 weeks after arriving here.
OH on the other hand still hadn't managed to secure employment after 9 months and ended up doing contract work back in the UK..... There's no way to tell which way the pendulum will swing for you really.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebo
That was my plan too, didn't happen and in some ways I wish it had, instead I'm back to being a wage slave. Good luck though mate
I wish I had a bit more time to settle in too, I will struggle to find the time to find somewhere to live and do those other practical things that need doing upon arrival. My husband has been luckier, I think we can work it so he has a couple of weeks off before he starts his new role ... we both wish it were the other way around though. Still I don't want to complain about both us having jobs lined up, better than the alternative.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 8:34 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xzibit
Subway, Hungry Jacks, Vinyard, litter picking - anything will do me.
All the hard jobs to get! I remember when there was 3 of us all applying for Macca's, KFC, Hungry Jacks, Woolworths, Coles, oh all of em! ... and sweet FA. Oh I lie, I had 2 interviews at Macca's, and a 3 month wait to be told sorry we can't employ you on a temp visa! The visa I explained at the VERY START!!

In the UK people will laugh at you for working in these places. Here tho I dunno what it takes. Maybe just gotta be 15 so they can pay you peanuts maybe ...

Back to OP. The same 3 are still looking for job satisfaction here, 4 years later, but it's very much a waiting game at the mo. Waiting till the economy picks up and are back to 10 pages on Seek for missus criteria instead of current single page worth.

Could be a long wait tho!
Old Jun 30th 2010, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic

In the UK people will laugh at you for working in these places. Here tho I dunno what it takes. Maybe just gotta be 15 so they can pay you peanuts maybe ...
The only kids my boys know who have been successful recently with the maccas, coles etc all speak fluent second and third languages, one Chinese and japanese, one Dutch, the other Japanese and Korean . All 3 are studying the IB programme.

Anyone who wants to flip burgers here had better be very highly educated.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alipally
Well in our house we had the two extremes. I got two job offers before I left the UK and started 2 weeks after arriving here.
OH on the other hand still hadn't managed to secure employment after 9 months and ended up doing contract work back in the UK..... There's no way to tell which way the pendulum will swing for you really.
Yeah I know it can be hit and miss. Most times I've come to the UK I have managed to get work fairly quick and other times it's taken ages. So it all depends on timing and what's out there.

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I wish I had a bit more time to settle in too, I will struggle to find the time to find somewhere to live and do those other practical things that need doing upon arrival. My husband has been luckier, I think we can work it so he has a couple of weeks off before he starts his new role ... we both wish it were the other way around though. Still I don't want to complain about both us having jobs lined up, better than the alternative.
We plan to have at least Sept off as we haven't seen the place yet and it would be nice to able to have a bit of a holiday before starting the grind again.

Fortunately Wifey has something lined up already and we'll hopefully have some cash.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
All the hard jobs to get! I remember when there was 3 of us all applying for Macca's, KFC, Hungry Jacks, Woolworths, Coles, oh all of em! ... and sweet FA. Oh I lie, I had 2 interviews at Macca's, and a 3 month wait to be told sorry we can't employ you on a temp visa! The visa I explained at the VERY START!!
Hmmm, well the only place I hear about jobs being impossible to get is on this forum. I know lots of people in Australia, from citizens, perm residents, and people on WHV's, and none of them have had issues gaining employment, so I'm feeling confident for my arrival.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Boobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really nice

Originally Posted by xzibit
Hmmm, well the only place I hear about jobs being impossible to get is on this forum. I know lots of people in Australia, from citizens, perm residents, and people on WHV's, and none of them have had issues gaining employment, so I'm feeling confident for my arrival.
It all depends on the type of work you are looking for. I'm glad you feel confident, but just because "all the people you know" haven't had issues gaining employment doesn't mean to say that you won't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.