Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is anyone still moving without a job offer

Is anyone still moving without a job offer

Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:40 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone still moving without a job offer

Originally Posted by Green Grass

I'm pretty worried about coming without a job but if I have to search for work by day and work in bars at night to help preserve my savings and future in Australia
Are you qualified to work in a bar? Do you have the right licences?....I am being serious
Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Green Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really nice

I had no idea you need a licence or qualification to work in a bar in Australia. My point is I'm prepared to take any work on arrival while I find a role which fits with my career and qualifications.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAK
Our PR visa runs out in October 2013 so still some time to go yet. We tried to sell our house but no luck with that (it was priced for the market in the area we live I have read all the remarks on here regarding reducing etc). We are now again thinking of renting if we do go. What you are doing is what I would love to do but OH weighs everything up and is worried about not finding a job when we get there. Good luck to you all
We have weighed up the pros and cons for nearly 5 years We have had 3 visits to Oz within that time. We already sold our house in 2006 but unfortunately other factors stopped us going before now though such as my Mum passing away.

We have decided that we cannot think about it anymore (our brains have ached with it some days) We have to just get on with it and take the rough with the smooth. Now I think about it that way, I'm really looking forward to the challenge.

Good luck to you. let us know what you decide

Jo

Last edited by joeyb; Oct 26th 2011 at 11:54 am. Reason: grammar
Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

Come to Mackay! Plenty of jobs here.
HKA
x
Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:38 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAK
I would love to know because this is still stopping my OH from taking the next step.
The vast majority move without a job offer. I did too, but I had been contacted by an agent here in Perth who had arranged interviews for me.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 3:00 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hollykimalan
Come to Mackay! Plenty of jobs here.
HKA
x
I'm on the way!!! Got stuck in the Whitsundays ( we are on a boat) - apparently work is falling off trees but it's nigh on impossible to rent a house?
Old Oct 27th 2011, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

Yes, prosperity is such that you cant find somewhere to live!!
Jobs...easy.
Place to stay is not impossible but you can live aboard at the marina in Mackay. Very nice too it is.
HKA
Old Oct 27th 2011, 10:51 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I will hopefully get a job before I arrive, but OH won't. I'm a nurse so should be ok, OH is a gas fitter so may possibly have to retrain and pick up casual work in the meantime
Old Oct 29th 2011, 11:16 pm
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

We are going to NSW without jobs and will look once we arrive (we did the same in 1981, we arrived on the Saturday and Monday hubby got a job - not in his field but he got a job and stuck with it for around 6 years before moving on. I got a job within 2 months and this time I have had two telephone interviews for a job and they have called for references but wont make an offer until the final meeting soon after we land in around 14 days time!

I think it is unrealistic to expect to get a job whilst you are still in the UK, it can be done and has been done, but the majority of migrants would only fine work once they are in Australia.

You just have to be positive and be prepared to do anything until the right job comes along.

Good Luck