Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anyone sold their house privately in uk?

anyone sold their house privately in uk?

Old Oct 31st 2005, 5:29 pm
arrived perth sept 06

kgray has a brilliant futurekgray has a brilliant futurekgray has a brilliant futurekgray has a brilliant futurekgray has a brilliant futurekgray has a brilliant future
Default anyone sold their house privately in uk?

we are debating whether or not to sell our house privately to save some dosh[ every bit helps!!!] we thought we might give it a go first and then under sufference resort to the estate agent route. has anyone sold on the net? can anyone recommend a firm to use on the net? any help would be much appreciated..... thanks
k
Old Oct 31st 2005, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice
Default Re: anyone sold their house privately in uk?

We're just in the process of selling without an agent. This was more by luck than anything,the buyer is a cousin of someone that works with my husband. They are first time buyers & when they heard we were selling it fully furnished,they came for a viewing. They are off to sort the mortgage next week,so fingers crossed. We told them how much we wanted & agreed to pay the stamp duty for them,as they had no deposit & were going for 100% mortgage. We hope to get all the advice/support from our solicitors,who said it would probably make the sale easier not having an agent involved. We will have to wait & see.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 6:08 pm
arrived perth sept 06

kgray has a brilliant futurekgray has a brilliant futurekgray has a brilliant futurekgray has a brilliant futurekgray has a brilliant futurekgray has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by woogle
We're just in the process of selling without an agent. This was more by luck than anything,the buyer is a cousin of someone that works with my husband. They are first time buyers & when they heard we were selling it fully furnished,they came for a viewing. They are off to sort the mortgage next week,so fingers crossed. We told them how much we wanted & agreed to pay the stamp duty for them,as they had no deposit & were going for 100% mortgage. We hope to get all the advice/support from our solicitors,who said it would probably make the sale easier not having an agent involved. We will have to wait & see.
mmm might put the feelers out and also advertise in the paper lucky that you got a buyer without all the hassle eh? we are not in any mad hurry at the mo so i might give it a try. hope it all goes ok!
k
Old Oct 31st 2005, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

I know,we were really jammy! If we were more clued-up we could probably do without a solicitor too, but better to be safe than sorry
Old Oct 31st 2005, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=woogle we could probably do without a solicitor too[/QUOTE]

you could also defend yourself in a murder case without a lawyer too
Old Oct 31st 2005, 6:41 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

right try again - just lost the last post before hitting the submit button

The idea was attractive to us - why pay someone else to do something when you can DIY. Having now SSTC I am glad we went with an agent.

One thought was that we were paying to access their list of 'suitable' buyers.

We did ask several people advertising their house on an internal (large) company website - the reponses were along the lines of, 'you are the 1st to reply', 'we had 1 enquiry in 6mths'.

At the weekend we asked friends if they tried anywhere but estate agents when they were buying (their 1st house last yr) - no they did not. Why? They thought that private ads were a bit doddy (although admitted in reality they probably were not). On a big purchase they did not want to take the risk.

Another aspect was the agent did his job and got the agreed price up (even from a figure we would have been happy to accept), something I doubt we could have done if we had handled the negotiations.

I think of them as a necessary evil, that even with excessive fees, don't believe their promises, require frequent chasing up, get them down on their fees, push for window/newspaper space, chase up some more, find out what they are doing/doen to promote your property, what viewers think, why they did not offer or not coming to view. Oh and did I say they require a lot of chasing up.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Excuse the ignorance,what is sstc?
Old Oct 31st 2005, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

DAVIES6 is on a distinguished road

sold subject to contract
Old Oct 31st 2005, 7:48 pm
arrived perth sept 06

i didnt know that either! i feel better now!
k
Old Oct 31st 2005, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kgray
k

No probs, glad to be of help, normally i don't know. did this time.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 7:56 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

k
sorry typing it out once is ok, but having to do it twice is a pain. As we are in England and they can back out, I don't like to say it is sold until we have their dosh in our hands
Old Oct 31st 2005, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by walaj
sorry typing it out once is ok, but having to do it twice is a pain. As we are in England and they can back out, I don't like to say it is sold until we have their dosh in our hands

Put our house on the market today, fingers crossed it will sell quick, one went up three weeks ago a few doors down, was under offer in a week.
Hope we are the same, we thought of the private route but didn't want to waste any time just incase it didn't pay off. Off to Mandurah in the new year I HOPE!!
Old Oct 31st 2005, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

arewethereyet has a spectacular aura aboutarewethereyet has a spectacular aura aboutarewethereyet has a spectacular aura about

We are thinking about a DIY sale next year, have a look at http://www.elmleaf.co.uk/ for some advice.
Get some sign boards, banners in the window, cards in the supermarket, small advert in local paper, etc. We live near a busy through road with lots of traffic and a bus route so good advertising potential, it all depends where you live....
Last resort, go to estate agent and pay for the "privilage".

Old Nov 1st 2005, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

I put our house on all the free websites I could find as well as with an agent. In total I think I've had about 5 enquiries through the webistes compared to at least one viewing a week from the agent.

If I remember correctlyI've had 3 enquiries through houseladder.co.uk, 1 through home.co.uk and 1 through buyitprivately.com

One of our current buyers (we have 2 both going for first to exchange) originally viewed it privately but we turned down their original offer as we had accepted one through the agent but then when they saw the for sale sign go back up they went straight round to the agent to put their offer in again.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 10:31 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

We have ... luckily enough

£290K.

The commission in that would have made a parasitical agent VERY happy.

Three Legs

we are debating whether or not to sell our house privately to save some dosh[ every bit helps!!!] we thought we might give it a go first and then under sufference resort to the estate agent route. has anyone sold on the net? can anyone recommend a firm to use on the net? any help would be much appreciated..... thanks
k

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.