Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone shipped vinyl (LP's) before?

Anyone shipped vinyl (LP's) before?

Old Aug 31st 2006, 1:55 pm
Living the dream at last!

Gremlin has a brilliant futureGremlin has a brilliant futureGremlin has a brilliant futureGremlin has a brilliant futureGremlin has a brilliant futureGremlin has a brilliant future
Default Anyone shipped vinyl (LP's) before?

Hi all

First thread, so apologies if this has been asked before.
Hopefully off to Gold Coast sometime late '06 / early '07 and have been looking at shipping costs etc.
We're probably going to have a 20ft container but one thing that concerns me is my collection of vinyl albums and singles that I really want to take over (500 or so). Would there be a problem with temperature extremes or humidity extremes inside the container? They will all be in aluminium 'flight case' type boxes. I spoke to one shipper who said that it wouldn't be a problem as the containers are air tight and don't suffer temperature changes but I'm not convinced!
Although they wouldn't be worth much at all in money terms, they have a huge sentimental value.
Anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks!
Old Aug 31st 2006, 2:08 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone shipped vinyl (LP's) before?

I brought about 100 altogether, mixed singles and LPs, all just packed in cardboard boxes. All fine, no ill effects
Old Aug 31st 2006, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Ours made it over fine too. Pack them standing up, as they would grind together for weeks in the container if they were piled up in stacks.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute

We sold all ours to a collector

Just trying to make out what your avatar is

Good luck with the move
Old Aug 31st 2006, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I brought about 100 altogether, mixed singles and LPs, all just packed in cardboard boxes. All fine, no ill effects
We brought ours over, no problems.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 9:57 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

we brought ours....just make sure that you mark on the box 'this way up' so that they dont get laid flat...also put some silica gel sachets in the box with them
Old Aug 31st 2006, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

dave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to all

I was going to sell all mine, mostly a few hundred singles, and a couple of days before our stuff was due to be shipped over I had one last look through them . I got all sentimental and it felt like I was giving part of my life away and I decided I couldn't bear to be parted from them (bit sad I know) .

Anyway they got here in one piece , although I still haven't got anything to play them on yet.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dave_woodsy
I was going to sell all mine, mostly a few hundred singles, and a couple of days before our stuff was due to be shipped over I had one last look through them . I got all sentimental and it felt like I was giving part of my life away and I decided I couldn't bear to be parted from them (bit sad I know) .

Anyway they got here in one piece , although I still haven't got anything to play them on yet.
Would it be possible to change your Avatar as it is quite offensive , you could may be put a ball and world there. Thanks Quill
Old Aug 31st 2006, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

We had no problem bringing our vinly and they are still packed away almost 11 months later.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenjc
We had no problem bringing our vinly and they are still packed away almost 11 months later.
Same here, we got rid of quite a lot of bits of furniture, kids toys and ornament stuff however we couldnt bear to part with our old records as we have kept them for so long already - always kept them stored safely in the loft ( we dont even have a turntable any more).

They came under the same category as photos and photo albums as far as we were concerned.

The plan is that we will acquire a turntable one day probably when we are old and grey and then will be able to listen to our old lps and singles and reminisce.

They are now packed away in the same cardboard box in the laundry cupboard.

Julia
Old Sep 1st 2006, 4:11 am
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

Box them standing up and tightly packed. That way if it gets got they can't warp.

We did this and ours were fine although my wife still gets grumpy when I play my Wishbone Ash records!
Old Sep 1st 2006, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

dave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by karenjc
Would it be possible to change your Avatar as it is quite offensive , you could may be put a ball and world there. Thanks Quill
Fans of pretty well all Midland Teams hate Villa but I'm guessing your a Blues Fan ?

Villa, well we're the new Chelsea (or maybe in a few years)
Old Sep 1st 2006, 1:25 pm

Gremlin has a brilliant futureGremlin has a brilliant futureGremlin has a brilliant futureGremlin has a brilliant futureGremlin has a brilliant futureGremlin has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Gremlin
Hi all

First thread, so apologies if this has been asked before.
Hopefully off to Gold Coast sometime late '06 / early '07 and have been looking at shipping costs etc.
We're probably going to have a 20ft container but one thing that concerns me is my collection of vinyl albums and singles that I really want to take over (500 or so). Would there be a problem with temperature extremes or humidity extremes inside the container? They will all be in aluminium 'flight case' type boxes. I spoke to one shipper who said that it wouldn't be a problem as the containers are air tight and don't suffer temperature changes but I'm not convinced!
Although they wouldn't be worth much at all in money terms, they have a huge sentimental value.
Anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks!
Thanks to everyone that replied.

I know it might seem sad but I could never get rid of my record collection. I bought a turntable 18 months ago with the good intentions of transfering it all onto CD, but I got bored after the third album as it's so time consuming. Having said that I fully intend having far more spare time over there than I currently have here so hopefully I'll transfer the rest of it at some point (yeah right!!)

I guess I'll just pack them as recommended by you all and take the chance!

By the way my avatar is a picture of someone with their head disappearing up their own backside - sort of reminds me of the whole visa process!!

Cheers!
Old Sep 1st 2006, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by dave_woodsy
Fans of pretty well all Midland Teams hate Villa but I'm guessing your a Blues Fan ?

Villa, well we're the new Chelsea (or maybe in a few years)

Villa will never be the new Chelsea - (with or without Ashley Cole)

Up the Blues!
Old Sep 1st 2006, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by rab
Box them standing up and tightly packed. That way if it gets got they can't warp.

We did this and ours were fine although my wife still gets grumpy when I play my Wishbone Ash records!
You've got me beat there Rab - even my collection doesn't go back that far!