Reload this Page >

Anyone shipped everything..need advice

Anyone shipped everything..need advice

Old May 21st 2009, 9:47 am
Just Joined

Sunderland Ian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone shipped everything..need advice

Hi all,

got a two bed flat and emigrating to Sydney. Got all the furniture we need, two beds, sofas, TV equipment etc...even a new Quashqai car..

advice on shipping, etc would be great ie
costs?
time to ship?
anything not worth shipping?

I'm a complete novice and havent a clue, so normally ask on message boards to get the real info before contacting sales folk!!

Cheers Ian
Old May 22nd 2009, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone shipped everything..need advice

Hi Ian & welcome!
Try using the search facility as loads of threads on this subject including specifics about shipping cars!
Get several quotes & drill them all for tips & advice when they visit!
Good luck
Old May 22nd 2009, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

Ian - have you owned the car for 12 months? If not you'll not be able to ship it. Also have a look into the costs of shipping a car in terms of tax and shipping and customs charges. It's astronomical.
Old May 22nd 2009, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

saxtonj is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Sunderland Ian
Hi all,

got a two bed flat and emigrating to Sydney. Got all the furniture we need, two beds, sofas, TV equipment etc...even a new Quashqai car..

costs?
time to ship?

I'm a complete novice and havent a clue, so normally ask on message boards to get the real info before contacting sales folk!!

Cheers Ian
General rule of thumb with shipping is if it's cheap, nasty, on it's last legs - forget it - buy out there. Otherwise ship it, always more cost effective. Kitting out a typical house in Oz costs around £15-20k ($30,000 - $45,000 Australian). Consider this with the cost of shipping - for your stuff - less than £3k ($6000). If you were to sell you gear as well, you wouldn't get a lot. So economics states ship.

Shipping door to door is generally wround 12 weeks give or take a couple depending on where in Oz you decide to go.

As for the car, as previously mentioned - forget it. Sell it here and get what you can for it. the cost of shipping and taxation and making a uk car compliant with Oz rules will cost you about £5k roughly.

You could get some decent deals on new and nearly new (especiallu asin market cars and holdens).

Hope this helps, and as previoulsy mentioned also - just do a search for shipping and you will get loads of results.

Regards

James
Old May 22nd 2009, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

Bring everything apart from the car.

You can update things at your leisure over here and any crap can go to an Australian tip.

The car is probably more hassle than its worth. It needs quite a lot of paperwork and added costs to bring it over plus the shipping costs.

Only things not to bring are the usual items prohibited, alcohol, plants, etc but read up on that yourself.

My 20 foot container was loaded on the 30th July and delivered to my new house in Oz 19th October.

Everything works over here and if you havent owned it for more than a year then dont tell anyone, dont bring the receipt and no one will ever know.

A 20 foot container is ample for a 2 bedroom flat and it wont cost anymore or less if its half full or full.

Good luck.
Old Jun 20th 2009, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Hsherriff will become famous soon enoughHsherriff will become famous soon enough

Hi this may be a silly question but can we pack aeresol cans such as deoderant etc in our boxes that will go in the container?
Old Jun 20th 2009, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

geordies4life will become famous soon enoughgeordies4life will become famous soon enough

Hi all,

costs?
time to ship?

Cheers Ian
hi ship everything but the car the are cheap enough on this side another . northerner leaving for warmer climates i see lol
Old Jun 20th 2009, 11:26 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

costs?
time to ship?

Cheers Ian
I had to look up what a Quashqai was....

I would highly recommend you do your homework on the car. Its usually never worth doing for a variety of reasons including import costs and of course its resale value would be very poor as a foreign model not sold here and an import rego plate.
Old Jun 20th 2009, 11:56 pm
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree on the import resale, but the car I own you wouldnt get 500 quid for in pommyland, retails here for around $12,000 but given its a import price drops to around $8000....

No takers yet, and I feel quality european cars arnet the go here unfortunately for me, but I may now leave it on the side, and put the gearbox on the front lawn....

Benefit it, I didnt have to rush around to buy a bomb....

do the maths on it all like conturian said, and the headache factor if its something you can handle or not.

Originally Posted by Centurion
I had to look up what a Quashqai was....

I would highly recommend you do your homework on the car. Its usually never worth doing for a variety of reasons including import costs and of course its resale value would be very poor as a foreign model not sold here and an import rego plate.