Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone in the SES or RFB ?

Anyone in the SES or RFB ?

Old Dec 16th 2005, 11:05 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone in the SES or RFB ?

Looking to join either the SES or the Rural Fire Brigade - anyone in either organisation? How are you finding it?
Old Dec 16th 2005, 12:22 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Anyone in the SES or RFB ?

Originally Posted by Hutch
Looking to join either the SES or the Rural Fire Brigade - anyone in either organisation? How are you finding it?
Badge is in the rural fire brigade in Victoria - can anyone forward a message to him for Hutch as he asked for his account to be deleted?

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 16th 2005, 9:10 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in the SES or RFB ?

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Badge is in the rural fire brigade in Victoria - can anyone forward a message to him for Hutch as he asked for his account to be deleted?

Cheers

Buzzy
Ah yea, I remember him mentioning it in his farewell post. It's okay Buzzy, looking to trade posts with anyone involved in it. Don't know why, I thought more expats would join such organisations.
Old Dec 17th 2005, 1:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I work for CDRS, the govt department that provides backup and admin support to the SES in Queensland. If anyone is interested in joining in QLD then I can put you in touch with your local group - you get the chance to go along to training sessions and meetings to see what its like, before you actually join up.
Its very rewarding, but can also be very hard work - storm season, ie this time of year, some volunteers are out all night putting tarps on roofs, shifting trees etc. You also get calls for missing persons searches, pulling people out of swollen rivers - no two shouts are the same.
Most employers are OK about time off for it, but it is a voluntary thing, so you have to talk to them regarding pay etc. You are provided with overalls and personal protective equipment - helmets, safety glasses, all that sort of thing - thats the stuff that my dept organises.
Most people that I see applications from - I see them all cos I do the criminal history checks - are Aussies; its quite rare to see one from a Brit.
Old Dec 17th 2005, 3:00 am
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I work for CDRS, the govt department that provides backup and admin support to the SES in Queensland. If anyone is interested in joining in QLD then I can put you in touch with your local group - you get the chance to go along to training sessions and meetings to see what its like, before you actually join up.
Its very rewarding, but can also be very hard work - storm season, ie this time of year, some volunteers are out all night putting tarps on roofs, shifting trees etc. You also get calls for missing persons searches, pulling people out of swollen rivers - no two shouts are the same.
Most employers are OK about time off for it, but it is a voluntary thing, so you have to talk to them regarding pay etc. You are provided with overalls and personal protective equipment - helmets, safety glasses, all that sort of thing - thats the stuff that my dept organises.
Most people that I see applications from - I see them all cos I do the criminal history checks - are Aussies; its quite rare to see one from a Brit.
Ah cool - well this is one brit that'll be applying. It was the varied nature of things that appealled to me about the SES and being self-employed, time off shouldn't bother the boss.
Old Dec 17th 2005, 4:03 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Ah cool - well this is one brit that'll be applying. It was the varied nature of things that appealled to me about the SES and being self-employed, time off shouldn't bother the boss.
I'm in the Volunteer Bush Fire Brigade. You have to give it commitment but its very rewarding.

I chose the fire brigade over the SES because in the SES you train and train all year and only get to go out usually at night in the wind and rain and when it comes to a big fire you get to make the fire brigade's sandwiches.