Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anyone renting UK house out while in Oz?

Wikiposts

anyone renting UK house out while in Oz?

Old Aug 19th 2004, 6:17 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: anyone renting UK house out while in Oz?

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Only had one rental property ever, but we are now thinking of selling it, because if we do return to the UK it will be a major hassle. At the moment the 7pm the toilet wont flush call is just a plunger away, if we were in the UK it would become a major drama and probably expensive too.

Tenants are pot luck we got both our lots through same agent, same proceedures, very choosy they knocked back dozens of applications till they found the perfect one, however after just 4 months these tenants want to break the lease, so here we go again.

Having a rental on other side of world sounds like a nightmare to me, because after 3 landlord years you realise how much can go wrong.
I agree about the worry. Having a good agent takes away a helluva lot of the stress, though.

Also, a lot must depend on how much equity you have tied up in the property and the nature of your safeguards (eg checks on tenants, insurance). When I was renting out my UK place, my stress level went up and down according to whether it was let to people I knew, corporate let or unknowns - and as it went up in value I got more worried, too. Now with my NZ place, the equity in it and total value is on the low side so (touch wood) the level of damage a bad'un could cause is at least 'manageable' (hope so, anyway!)
Old Aug 19th 2004, 6:28 pm
owieb

Originally Posted by renth
Our house has just been put on the market and it has coincided with the tennant deciding to stop paying rent.

Lord only knows what she is saying to prospective buyers

I guess we're about to discover that the landlord's insurance policy to cover such eventualities is not worth the paper it is printed on.
This is what happend to us and it was a fr*gging nightmare. The tenant was always late paying, but there seemed to be nothing we could do. She had to default for 3 months in a row before we could serve her with any notice! Which she never did, she just paid late all the time. What was really annoying was that the estate agent would do nothing about it, but still kept taking their management fee every month out of the float money regardless of whether the tenant had paid or not!

And the landlords insurance policy wasn't worth the paper it was written on either!

The other property we rented out had the tenants from hell. Not only did they refuse to pay the rent, they also refused to let anyone come and look at the property! I had to wait till they moved out before the estate agent could take anyone round to have a look at the place.

I feel for you Renth, it's not a great position to be in, hope you can get it sorted ASAP.

Old Aug 19th 2004, 6:37 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by owieb
This is what happend to us and it was a fr*gging nightmare. The tenant was always late paying, but there seemed to be nothing we could do. She had to default for 3 months in a row before we could serve her with any notice! Which she never did, she just paid late all the time. What was really annoying was that the estate agent would do nothing about it, but still kept taking their management fee every month out of the float money regardless of whether the tenant had paid or not!

And the landlords insurance policy wasn't worth the paper it was written on either!

The other property we rented out had the tenants from hell. Not only did they refuse to pay the rent, they also refused to let anyone come and look at the property! I had to wait till they moved out before the estate agent could take anyone round to have a look at the place.

I feel for you Renth, it's not a great position to be in, hope you can get it sorted ASAP.

We also had dodgy plumbers come around and rather than just rod the drain, which I used to have to do about once a year, I got the "your drains have collapsed" scam - including generic video of a collapsed drain.

Nice try lads, codt me 350 quid though.