Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone regretted?

Anyone regretted?

Old Dec 23rd 2007, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone regretted?

Originally Posted by bcworld
I disagree......depending on their circumstances I don't think there is anything wrong with people uprooting themselves
I had a go last night after a few beers, I'll try again but tonight I won't have the same amount of beer
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 12:14 am
jonah

jonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
I had a go last night after a few beers, I'll try again but tonight I won't have the same amount of beer
Had the same problem meself last week. Thought shaz would of sorted it by now
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonah38
Had the same problem meself last week. Thought shaz would of sorted it by now
Did you think our shower needed cleaning, I keep on telling her
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 12:42 am
jonah

jonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
Did you think our shower needed cleaning, I keep on telling her
For F**cs sake slow down -i can only dothis with one finger
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 12:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THR
That is one thing I just can't understand that some people very lightly move to another country and later on regret. Moving away from your country of birth is never a light decision and one should be absolutely convinced that he/she doesn't want to live in that country before drawing the conclusion to move somewhere else.

If you haven't got that figured out in your mind, you are bound to head for troubles in your new country, whatever it may be.
Its not always that simple though. Even with any amount of planning nothing can tell you what it is actually like to live in another country.
And not everyone moves because they think it will be a "better" life, whatever that is....a lot of people move for family reasons, as if you are married to an Aussie then one of you will always be living away from home - that also makes it harder to just go home if you don't like it.
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

It's like any major decisions we make, who to marry, should we have kids, where to live ,career. We don't always make the right choice first time but at that time it was what we wanted. There's too much emphasis on 'getting it right' with lots of things and emmigrating is just another one of those things.
Life isn't static and changing our surroundings etc is just a way of keeping our lives vibrant. Some people could do with having a regretful move to somewhere else to broaden their experience. I like to refer to them as the 'Egg and Chips Brigade' Y'know the ones that go on holiday and won't try anything new!!
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

midwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Glasgowlass
It's like any major decisions we make, who to marry, should we have kids, where to live ,career. We don't always make the right choice first time but at that time it was what we wanted. There's too much emphasis on 'getting it right' with lots of things and emmigrating is just another one of those things.
Life isn't static and changing our surroundings etc is just a way of keeping our lives vibrant. Some people could do with having a regretful move to somewhere else to broaden their experience. I like to refer to them as the 'Egg and Chips Brigade' Y'know the ones that go on holiday and won't try anything new!!
I love what you have written i am going to print it off and look at it when I am having doubts, thank you
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 1:05 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi THR, what company are you doing this market research for?
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of light

Apart from 1 couple who we know, we know no-one in Perth...we have made some friends from being on this site but other then that....

My friend in the UK pointed out the other day, that i had a good circle of friends here, people i can call upon when the car breaks down or im unable to get to the school to pick the children up (cos the cars not working), she couldnt understand how i can give up all my friends and move half way across the world and not know anyone.

I said that i can make friends there, the friends i have here apart from her and 1 other, i have made through work and the children being at school.

I can see where she is coming from but we cant stay in England and wonder what Australia would be like, just cos i have a few friends no matter how good they are.....we will still see them from time to time and theres always the internet.
I intend to get a job and so does Kev when we move so we hope to make friends along those lines...

As for family....well apart from my dad, my family aint worth the light and Kevs mum is pleased for us cos she applied years ago but his dad failed the medical...

Life is what you make it...if you dont try then you never know.

We cant wait and the children cant wait.

Nickie
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THR
Are here any British expats who have moved to Australia and have realised that they have made a colossal mistake and are thinking of moving back to the UK? I have met several British expats who live in Australia and I'm yet to come across one who would regret moving to Australia but the fact that I haven't met anyone who's regretted, doesn't mean that people like that wouldn't exist.

After all, moving to another country is not a light decision to make. You must really be absolutely convinced that you want to live somewhere else where you happen to be living. Are you really ready to leave behind your relatives and friends? If so, do you know anyone in the new country?
Well, firstly, some of the people that would have admitted to it being a colossal mistake have already left. Secondly, how many people are likely to admit to you that they have made a terrible mistake moving themselves/family half-way around the world and spending a motza in the process? There is one thing doing it in an anonymous forum and another thing doing it face-to-face. And the remainder are either happy to remain in Oz or are yet to make up their minds.

Try a different question - perhaps "Would you be happy to die in Oz?" or "If you had to give up your UK passport for an Oz one, would you do it?" You might get more revealing answers.
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by midwife-mandy
I love what you have written i am going to print it off and look at it when I am having doubts, thank you
All I know is life's not easy and we're all just following our noses!