Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone recommend skype or webcam?

Anyone recommend skype or webcam?

Old Dec 8th 2009, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

IMB38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone recommend skype or webcam?

Hi Guys

We are off to Melbourne in February and are looking into getting our parents skype phones and webcams. We havent used any of these before so just wondering if anyone can recommend any? Our parents are a bit technophobic so something simple would be great! We're not sure about price either - around £30 for each.

Thanks
Old Dec 8th 2009, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone recommend skype or webcam?

Hi, I brought an Asus Skype video phone. These do not require a pc and it is very easy to use. It works with wifi or ethernet cable. It cost £190 on ebay - including postage.

Yes, its a lot of money but I do recommend it for its simplicity.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Skype's great - if you can talk parents into using computers/laptop's it's probably good in the long run. You can share photos, videos etc too then, not just chatting.

My husband's parents barely used a computer much before we moved over here (they're in their 70's) and they use it all the time now - always on it! My folks are both younger and more technical .... and hardly ever use it! Bought dad a webcam, thought someone else might start watching him

Skype's good for simple messages too - which is good if you've got kids that just want to tell Granny their tooth has fallen out!
Old Dec 8th 2009, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by IMB38
Hi Guys

We are off to Melbourne in February and are looking into getting our parents skype phones and webcams. We havent used any of these before so just wondering if anyone can recommend any? Our parents are a bit technophobic so something simple would be great! We're not sure about price either - around £30 for each.

Thanks
Been there before. I got my father to buy a Logitech - plenty out there. PC world will have plenty for them to enjoy and best to spend as much as you can (ie if you budget 30 quid then spend 30 quid, not 10). Makes a difference.

To make it easier I set it up before we left the UK and then I subscribe (for free) to Logmein so I can take over my Dad's computer from my office here in Melbourne when they are asleep to resolve any computer issues for him which he has every now and then. Works a treat.

Key thing with webcams is spend the most you can but good quality (and dependant on the speed of our net connection) comes with what you spend. Max 50 quid is all you need for a decent one with manual focus (which I have found to be really good). While the quality of the webcam will change, the ability of the inbuilt mic also makes a difference hence higher price equates to better quality in my experience.

Skype - very easy to use and if you call your parents, they only have to click one button and everything is sorted. As a recommendation, go for a Logitech C300 (35 quid retail but will be cheaper if you look). And make sure it is this model - they changed their product line a while ago and some places have old models in stock.

HTH

Andy
Old Dec 9th 2009, 2:11 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

I purchased a logitech webcam, see link

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-96131.../dp/B0000DBMKK

You can buy in the UK, worth spending more money as you only get what you pay for, the picture quality is great. in my opinion 30 quid ain't enough , you got to spend 60 +

It has face tracking also so it moves around the room with you, so no manual adjustments needed.

Its a good bit of kit.

As for phone go for a wireless VOIP, check this link out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000ND75FW
Old Dec 9th 2009, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slipshot

To make it easier I set it up before we left the UK and then I subscribe (for free) to Logmein so I can take over my Dad's computer from my office here in Melbourne when they are asleep to resolve any computer issues for him which he has every now and then. Works a treat.
That's really good advice, all of it but I hadn't considered using the dial in to fix problems -that's a great idea especially for some of the older generation who are ok while ok but if click on something unusual then they're lost!

There are lots of dial in type free options out there ... we used to use one for work so discuss profit and loss and figure entries remotely with other offices, very handy!

My husbands parents have a local, everyone should have them type, computer friend who comes and fixes but know that's not always ideal for everyone!
Old Dec 9th 2009, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I bought a Logitech Pro 9100 for my computer and use a logitech headset with mic to talk. It's really good!
Old Dec 9th 2009, 6:41 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Another option to bear in mind.

Amongst the many capabilities of the PS3 is being able to plug in a domestic webcam and video conference using your TV. For those that don't want to muck around with PCs, this is a worthwhile option - and the picture is huge.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Andrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by IMB38
Hi Guys

Thanks
Hi,
I have also brought the Asus eee Video phone as it will be used by my in laws who to be honest...struggle with a TV remote control and would never be able to use a laptop. I thought i'd got this sussed by getting a small netbook with Linux operating system - the Linux system looks really easy - even my OH can use it; the trouble i had with this netbook was mainly couldn't get Skype working on it... and before the techies start replying - yes i know it is possible, i even took it to PC World for advice and was told "yes i can be done... but it's not easy" anyway i went for the Video phone: yes it is a little expensive for what it is but from our experiences so far (admittedly we've only tried it out wwithinthe same house) I am more than happy with it, very simple to use and the picture/sound isn't too bad and wifi enabled.What has surprised me is that it hasn't been copied by one of the other PC/Electronic manufacturers yet? I mean it has been out for a while now and it has even been updated to now include touchscreen (I didn't go for this option as it is something else that could cause problems for in laws)

Q. Once in Oz, can we buy 3 mobiles (3 as in the phone company and not the aamountof phones...doh) and use then with skype to call in laws for free? also, can this include video calls via mobiles?

Many Thanks,

Mark
Old Dec 10th 2009, 10:59 am
Just Joined

IMB38 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

thanks so much for all your advice. We will be taking a look at the weekend!! Cant believe we're actually doing this! its all coming around so quick!