Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone recognise these from my garden?

Wikiposts

Anyone recognise these from my garden?

Old Nov 30th 2005, 11:41 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone recognise these from my garden?

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Yep me the family and the mongoose
Not Melbourne ??
Old Nov 30th 2005, 11:43 pm

hutchy59 is an unknown quantity at this point

Why do you want a shovel
Old Nov 30th 2005, 11:44 pm
Account Closed

Why do you want a shovel
No, you need that to dig your hole
Old Nov 30th 2005, 11:46 pm

Lighten up you sound like my mother
Old Nov 30th 2005, 11:48 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Golden rule "if in doubt RUN or if it looks at you RUN" especially if it resembles a snake !!!! but I reckon in the other picture it's sleepy lizard also know as bob tailed blue tongue or shingleback

http://wpni01.auroraquanta.com/pv/au...d=452&img=1420

http://www.abc.net.au/schoolstv/anim...UEDLIZARDS.htm
Old Nov 30th 2005, 11:51 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sel
Golden rule "if in doubt RUN or if it looks at you RUN" especially if it resembles a snake !!!! but I reckon in the other picture it's sleepy lizard also know as bob tailed blue tongue or shingleback

http://wpni01.auroraquanta.com/pv/au...d=452&img=1420

http://www.abc.net.au/schoolstv/anim...UEDLIZARDS.htm
I think you are right Sel. Did you notice the second link lists dangers to THEM. I was more concerned about the danger to ME.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 11:51 pm
Account Closed

Lighten up you sound like my mother
Did you see the ' ' ?
Old Nov 30th 2005, 11:56 pm

Talking Re: Anyone recognise these from my garden?

Sorry but thinking before typing takes the fun out of life[/IMG]
Old Nov 30th 2005, 11:58 pm

How do you get the little green faces up
Old Dec 1st 2005, 12:19 am
Account Closed

How do you get the little green faces up
Just click on it at the side once you typed

Hey, you pinched my saying !!!!
Old Dec 1st 2005, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

vics has a spectacular aura aboutvics has a spectacular aura aboutvics has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by worzel
Sam found the first in the back garden at the weekend. She thought it was a worm at first but definitely looks like a snake. Is it a baby? (I don't want to think about where mum is, if so :scared: )

I found the second one this afternoon while ripping out handfuls of weeds. I must have touched it! It was about 2 inches wide. When I uncovered it I jumped back about 2 yards as from the head it looks just like a large snake! (I am not especially scared of snakes, you understand, but anything that could deprive my daughter of a father is best kept at a distance). It had legs so a Lizard of some sort, presumably? When I found it is stayed motionless for a few minutes but when I went away for just a minute and came back it had high-tailed it.
Hi

The first picture looks like one of the Lerista family (as has been said), and the second one is a Bobtail lizard - we have both in our garden (Alexander Heights, so not too far from you worzel).

We actually have 2 bobtails - we think they are a breeding pair. They are soooo cool - we see them all the time in the garden, often sunbathing or wandering about eating the bugs. They aren't poisonous but I guess they could give you a bite if they wanted too. Ours just seem to wander off if they decide you are getting too close, although that can be pretty close as like you said they just stand still when they see you at first - I nearly trod on one once as it was so well camouflaged, but they can move quite quickly when they want. They are pretty common around here I think - have also seen them on the sand dunes at Scarborough beach, and in Caversham Wildlife Park (in a display admittedly!).

Don't know much about the Leristas, as don't see them so often and when you do they seem to scarper quickly.

It might be worth you buying a book called "Guide to the Wildlife of the Perth Region" - I bought it in one of the chain bookshops a few months ago and it has been really useful in identifying most of the things we have seen as it covers everything from birds thru spiders thru snakes etc etc etc - even plants and butterflies. It is a bit pricey - $30 odd - but its quite thick, has good photos and is a good investment I think as it stops the worrying!!!
Old Dec 1st 2005, 11:34 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vics
It might be worth you buying a book called "Guide to the Wildlife of the Perth Region" - I bought it in one of the chain bookshops a few months ago and it has been really useful in identifying most of the things we have seen as it covers everything from birds thru spiders thru snakes etc etc etc - even plants and butterflies. It is a bit pricey - $30 odd - but its quite thick, has good photos and is a good investment I think as it stops the worrying!!!
Thanks, I will have to look out for that. I may have to wait for Xmas or my birthday though as books are extortionate out here.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Belt it with a shovel mate then wonder what IT WAS
Clever response? Stupid idea.

The second one looks like a blue tongue lizard. They are your friend, save them from dogs or other domestic animals.

They are welcome neighbours which help keep the snails at bay. Cultivate their friendship. You will make no friends by harming them!

People come to Australia for the wild life and we still have it becasue killing things is not our first response.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 10:46 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
DON'T hit anything with a shovel - be an adult, and walk away...
With the possible exception made for cane toads (though hitting them with a shovel would probably just annoy them - indestructible little b**tards really need a 7 iron)

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 12:31 am
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by worzel
Thanks, I will have to look out for that. I may have to wait for Xmas or my birthday though as books are extortionate out here.
As we were out today I went into Dymocks and bought myself a copy - $35 - told you books are expensive out here. I am still not sure whether the big one is a blue-tongue or a bobtail. The markings are more like the bobtail but it had a longish pointy tail which doesn't match with the book. Either way it is friend not foe. But I made the mistake of flicking through the book and now have new things to give me nightmares tonight. I feel a re-reading of Bill Bryson's book where he lists all the dangerous things out here coming on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.