Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone recently researched best & cheapest small cars?

Anyone recently researched best & cheapest small cars?

Old Oct 17th 2006, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of
Default Anyone recently researched best & cheapest small cars?

Just wondered if anyone has recent research they'd be willing to share. Looking for a safe small 5 door auto with air con for very little money - I can always dream. We're in Melbourne but not sure if that matters.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone recently researched best & cheapest small cars?

Originally Posted by flip
Just wondered if anyone has recent research they'd be willing to share. Looking for a safe small 5 door auto with air con for very little money - I can always dream. We're in Melbourne but not sure if that matters.
The Getz is a good little car
Old Oct 18th 2006, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

Fardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the rough

Apart from the various motor magazines the state Automobile clubs like the RACV do car comparisons - you might want to look at:

http://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/conne.../compare+cars/

which allows you to compare a range of cars.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

shade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really nice

Toyota Yaris
Old Oct 18th 2006, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

jacksoo is on a distinguished road

[Mazda 2 - about 17K - good milage, safety etc. Quite nippy too.

QUOTE=flip]Just wondered if anyone has recent research they'd be willing to share. Looking for a safe small 5 door auto with air con for very little money - I can always dream. We're in Melbourne but not sure if that matters.[/QUOTE]
Old Oct 18th 2006, 5:35 am
paradise in the redlands

neil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really nice

Hi guys,
Have you tried drive.com.au

Neil.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 6:10 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

We've got a Toyota Echo and it's really economical on the petrol and goes for miles on one tank.

Lorraine
Old Oct 18th 2006, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shade8
Toyota Yaris
I agree, I've just bought one of these and it's great, very economical too. I get about 750k's to a tank.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Thanks everyone, was interested in Honda, Toyota or Masda but considering others as well.

Been in a couple of magazine shops and can't find the equivalent of "What Car" just special interest mags for minis, 4x4s, porches, hot wheels, etc. If anyone knows of a relevant magazine I'd love to hear about it.

Forgot about the RACV though - I get their magazine and have read their reviews in the past.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone, was interested in Honda, Toyota or Masda but considering others as well.

Been in a couple of magazine shops and can't find the equivalent of "What Car" just special interest mags for minis, 4x4s, porches, hot wheels, etc. If anyone knows of a relevant magazine I'd love to hear about it.

Forgot about the RACV though - I get their magazine and have read their reviews in the past.

Thanks again for all your help.

hubbys got a honda jazz, its great & very economical
Old Oct 18th 2006, 10:51 am
There is no "U" in Qantas

MisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really nice

Toyota Yaris has a 5 Star safety rating with side airbags. The Barina has a 2 star rating. If safety is important, spend a little more and go for a Yaris. I work in the industry and have contacts so I may be able to put you in contact with a dealer. PM me for details.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 9:21 pm
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

Toyota Echo/Yaris
Honda Jazz
Mazda 2

Personally I'd go with the Jazz but they are all great reliable little cars, just have a look around and see which you can get a good deal on. As MisterTwo said forget about the new Barina it's just a dressed up Daewoo.
Martyn
Old Oct 20th 2006, 12:55 pm
Not long now..

robs12 is an unknown quantity at this point

We just got a new Jazz & V impressed - it feels much bigger than it looks, & is quiet & comfy. The interior is better than the Getz (IMHO), but then again, it's more expensive. Averaging 5.1lt/100km. Loads of space if you put the rear seats down as well. Haggle whatever you go for. We paid $17.7K OTR.
Jazz has a 3 yr warranty, Getz a 5 yr at the moment IIRC.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 1:41 pm
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

You can compare the prices of all cars on this website, and you will save a significant amount too. www.discountnewcars.com.au
Old Oct 20th 2006, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

A friend has bought a Suzuki Swift and loves it.