British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Anyone recently researched best & cheapest small cars? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/anyone-recently-researched-best-cheapest-small-cars-402706/)

flip Oct 17th 2006 1:43 pm

Anyone recently researched best & cheapest small cars?

Just wondered if anyone has recent research they'd be willing to share. Looking for a safe small 5 door auto with air con for very little money - I can always dream. We're in Melbourne but not sure if that matters.

ohippy Oct 17th 2006 2:48 pm

Re: Anyone recently researched best & cheapest small cars?

Originally Posted by flip
Just wondered if anyone has recent research they'd be willing to share. Looking for a safe small 5 door auto with air con for very little money - I can always dream. We're in Melbourne but not sure if that matters.

The Getz is a good little car

Fardell Oct 18th 2006 3:36 am

Apart from the various motor magazines the state Automobile clubs like the RACV do car comparisons - you might want to look at:

http://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/conne.../compare+cars/

which allows you to compare a range of cars.

shade8 Oct 18th 2006 5:16 am

Toyota Yaris

jacksoo Oct 18th 2006 5:23 am

[Mazda 2 - about 17K - good milage, safety etc. Quite nippy too.

QUOTE=flip]Just wondered if anyone has recent research they'd be willing to share. Looking for a safe small 5 door auto with air con for very little money - I can always dream. We're in Melbourne but not sure if that matters.[/QUOTE]

neil.b Oct 18th 2006 5:35 am

Hi guys,
Have you tried drive.com.au

Neil.

Lindsay Clan Oct 18th 2006 6:10 am

We've got a Toyota Echo and it's really economical on the petrol and goes for miles on one tank.

Lorraine

sassie Oct 18th 2006 6:39 am

Originally Posted by shade8
Toyota Yaris

I agree, I've just bought one of these and it's great, very economical too. I get about 750k's to a tank.

flip Oct 18th 2006 8:12 am

Thanks everyone, was interested in Honda, Toyota or Masda but considering others as well.

Been in a couple of magazine shops and can't find the equivalent of "What Car" just special interest mags for minis, 4x4s, porches, hot wheels, etc. If anyone knows of a relevant magazine I'd love to hear about it.

Forgot about the RACV though - I get their magazine and have read their reviews in the past.

Thanks again for all your help.

poppets Oct 18th 2006 10:08 am

Thanks everyone, was interested in Honda, Toyota or Masda but considering others as well.

Been in a couple of magazine shops and can't find the equivalent of "What Car" just special interest mags for minis, 4x4s, porches, hot wheels, etc. If anyone knows of a relevant magazine I'd love to hear about it.

Forgot about the RACV though - I get their magazine and have read their reviews in the past.

Thanks again for all your help.

hubbys got a honda jazz, its great & very economical

MisterTwo Oct 18th 2006 10:51 am

Toyota Yaris has a 5 Star safety rating with side airbags. The Barina has a 2 star rating. If safety is important, spend a little more and go for a Yaris. I work in the industry and have contacts so I may be able to put you in contact with a dealer. PM me for details.

tin Oct 18th 2006 9:21 pm

Toyota Echo/Yaris
Honda Jazz
Mazda 2

Personally I'd go with the Jazz but they are all great reliable little cars, just have a look around and see which you can get a good deal on. As MisterTwo said forget about the new Barina it's just a dressed up Daewoo.
Martyn

robs12 Oct 20th 2006 12:55 pm

We just got a new Jazz & V impressed - it feels much bigger than it looks, & is quiet & comfy. The interior is better than the Getz (IMHO), but then again, it's more expensive. Averaging 5.1lt/100km. Loads of space if you put the rear seats down as well. Haggle whatever you go for. We paid $17.7K OTR.
Jazz has a 3 yr warranty, Getz a 5 yr at the moment IIRC.

CadburysFingers Oct 20th 2006 1:41 pm

You can compare the prices of all cars on this website, and you will save a significant amount too. www.discountnewcars.com.au

matt-and-jenny Oct 20th 2006 9:47 pm

A friend has bought a Suzuki Swift and loves it. :)