British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Anyone recently moved to Perth or planning to? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/anyone-recently-moved-perth-planning-649012/)

Clark Family Jan 13th 2010 3:24 pm

Anyone recently moved to Perth or planning to?

Hi,

Brand new to the forum.

I am currently in the process of securing a job and my family and I are planning to move to Perth as soon as possible.

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone can give me a heads up for what areas are good places to live in which are close to schools / shops / parks etc.

We are also planning to enrol our daughter into a dance classes as an out of school activity…any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Neil C

:D

OilDigger Jan 13th 2010 3:38 pm

Re: Anyone recently moved to Perth or planning to?

Neil,

We are a family of four going 17th February currently living in Morpeth. :thumbsup:

Permanent visa 176 and heading north of river to woodvale, once you get enough posts in for PM feel free to drop me a line. There may be info we can help you with, but you will find much of what you need by searching the forum. ;)

Good luck with your plans and move. :cool:

joe_ach Jan 13th 2010 3:42 pm

Hi Neil

We're hoping to move end of March/1st week in April
We're moving to Secret Harbour, it's about 40 minutes from Perth center

Sorry can't help with schools and stuff but wish you all the best with your move.............it's all a bit scary!

Good Luck
Ach

Clark Family Jan 14th 2010 12:50 pm

Thanks everyone.

Just had an interview this morning, and it went pretty well (I think)? Fingers crossed for that one!

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

Neil

:)

amberg Jan 14th 2010 1:03 pm

Hi,

We are just starting the visa process too, and looking to live in Perth. We are looking for information very similar to yourselves (including the dance class for our 6 year old).

Any information you could pass on our way would be appreciated, sounds like you will get there first.

Good luck

Clark Family Jan 14th 2010 1:15 pm

Amberg,

It's a very exciting time...just would like to know either way on where I stand with the job. I've also got 2 recruitment agencies working my corner and spoke to them and both seem pretty sure I can gain employment fairly quickly. Here's hoping!

My little girl is 2 on the 19th but loves to dance. It will also encourage an active life style and since the Mrs won't let me play football with her I think it will be great! But I think i'm going to need a lad too.

All the best for the future.

Neil

ToWAorBust Jan 14th 2010 2:42 pm

Secret Harbour looks perfect to me to. It is small has both schools near the ocean and inexpensive. I would think it is windy there with the surf beach. We are going to wait to find a suitable area to settle. We are up in Fort McMurray Alberta Canada, it was -29 windchill all day yesterday. You just cannot get outside at all.

Martin72 Jan 14th 2010 6:21 pm

I am moving with my family (7 of us) on a perm 176 to Woodvale. Our flights are booked for the 20th Feb 2010.

Container leaves on Monday and should be ready for delivery by the end of March.

Good luck everyone.

Alfresco Jan 14th 2010 6:28 pm

Good luck to all you soon-to-be Perthites. :thumbup:

We were planning to move there and would love to visit Perth and will defo make a point of doing so.

Jealous for those moving so soon.

Alf

Alfresco Jan 14th 2010 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by ToWAorBust (Post 8248449)
Secret Harbour looks perfect to me to. It is small has both schools near the ocean and inexpensive. I would think it is windy there with the surf beach. We are going to wait to find a suitable area to settle. We are up in Fort McMurray Alberta Canada, it was -29 windchill all day yesterday. You just cannot get outside at all.

-29 :blink:

I'll bet you can't wait to get to Perth. :fingerscrossed:

stuart.and.michelle Jan 14th 2010 6:52 pm

Good to see we aren't going to be the only new ones to Perth in the coming months!!

We hope to make the move around March/April time this year (got our 175 visa granted last week) and we also have a 3 year old daughter. We're trying to find suitable areas to move to but need to find a holiday home for the first couple of months. Hoping that'll give us the opportunity to find the kind of suburb that suits ours and our daughters needs.

Zenshin Jan 14th 2010 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Martin72 (Post 8249008)
I am moving with my family (7 of us) on a perm 176 to Woodvale. Our flights are booked for the 20th Feb 2010.

Container leaves on Monday and should be ready for delivery by the end of March.

Good luck everyone.

Ok I have to ask - how do you manage to ship everything and not leave until a month later especially with 7 of you? We are planning on moving back to Perth around that time but I still can't get my head around what we will do once everything is shipped. Was thinking of leaving only a week after shipping so we don't have to "camp" in our own house or eat out too much. I am finding organising it all is getting a bit much.

Martin72 Jan 14th 2010 7:56 pm

We were lucky as moved in with my mother in law. Its a tight fit, but its was the best way to sort everything.

We actually sold our house at the end of last year and have most of our stuff in storage since. The storage is basically just being moved into the container so was easy for the shipping company to cost as we already had the total dimensions of all our stuff.

Zenshin Jan 14th 2010 8:05 pm

Gosh that many people in one house - I dread the thought. Unfortunately we have no family in the UK so that isn't an option for us. Don't think I could burden our mates by asking them if we could move in even for one or two weeks.

Who have you chosen to ship your stuff? Are you using a full 20ft container? How much have you been quoted? I am hoping to make a final decision in the next 2 weeks and it would be helpful to know other peoples price estimates especially since it is the same time of year.

Thanks

OilDigger Jan 14th 2010 8:31 pm

Good luck Martin72 especially all of you in with the ML :o

We have had a quote from pickfords for a 20ft for £3800 plus insurance at 2.5% and 407 AUD for the AQIS quartine inspection. Crown are coming next week, i expect a similar ammount just need to get a feel for the service they will give. 7 to 9 weeks door to door, hoping to send our stuff 3 february, have a rental here for two weeks and leave the 17th Feb.