British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   anyone in the RAAF? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/anyone-raaf-545917/)

alan_blue Jun 29th 2008 7:08 pm

anyone in the RAAF?

hi all, im moving over and joining the RAAF next year, just got visas to do now once the police certificates arrive that is!!

My question is, is there anyone here in or have moved over to the RAAF as I have a question about the married quarters. How much they cost and the basic standards.

cheers
al

alan_blue Jun 30th 2008 8:04 pm

Re: anyone in the RAAF?

bump

kelv the raf painter Oct 24th 2008 8:43 pm

Hi, I'm still trying to get in. Ive sent all my paperwork of twice because they lost my medical paperwork, I'm still waiting for my meds to be cleared. I wont get my labour agreement untill thats gone through, Tanya said start my visa paperwork. How far on are you? do you know where your posted?

paul.joanne.fraser Oct 28th 2008 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by alan_blue (Post 6516603)
hi all, im moving over and joining the RAAF next year, just got visas to do now once the police certificates arrive that is!!

My question is, is there anyone here in or have moved over to the RAAF as I have a question about the married quarters. How much they cost and the basic standards.

cheers
al

Hi Al, I have an interview with the RAAF next wednesday night(05/11/08) any pointers. I also have a mate who has just been accepted and is due over there around March 09. With regards to housing, I am led to believe that the majority of the ADF live in rented accommodation and this has a capped limit dependant on rank. Which base/bases have you applied for. I am doing research at the moment on all the main operational units. Regards, Paul

kelv the raf painter Oct 28th 2008 9:47 pm

Hi Paul,

Regards your interview, just be yourself. I went to Australia House London for mine it was quite relaxed and informal. I had a list of questions that I asked, shows your keen and interested. I asked:
Where will I be posted?
What’s the promotion like for my trade?
Will I go out of area?
Where can I be posted?
and trade related questions
Questions on those lines.

He/She will ask why do you want to join the RAAF?:blink:

If you are successful in your interview you will get an offer of service and you will be told on the offer letter where you’re posted, you don’t get to choose. You could ask where your trade is undermanned.

Good luck :thumbup:

paul.joanne.fraser Oct 30th 2008 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by kelv the raf painter (Post 6919604)
Hi Paul,

Regards your interview, just be yourself. I went to Australia House London for mine it was quite relaxed and informal. I had a list of questions that I asked, shows your keen and interested. I asked:
Where will I be posted?
What’s the promotion like for my trade?
Will I go out of area?
Where can I be posted?
and trade related questions
Questions on those lines.

He/She will ask why do you want to join the RAAF?:blink:

If you are successful in your interview you will get an offer of service and you will be told on the offer letter where you’re posted, you don’t get to choose. You could ask where your trade is undermanned.

Good luck :thumbup:

Thanks for the reply, I am trying to get information to Cpl Woods (woody) from Wittering as he is looking at applying as your trade is down the pan! Do you know him? Have you dates for going and where do you want to go?

Regards,

Paul

kelv the raf painter Oct 30th 2008 1:08 pm

Hi,

Yeah I know Woody, If you need a contact number for him let me know.
I've got a date of 30th June 09 and will be posted to RAAF Williamtown. But everything is subject to your visas being granted. I know someone whos been told to apply in Jan because the have there numbers 09.

dave wood Oct 30th 2008 11:01 pm

My son has just been accepted and starts basic training on Tuesday.He got all his information off www.defencejobs.gov.au and its only taken about 6 weeks since initially applying.I think there is information about the married quarters etc on the site. Good luck

islandergirl Oct 31st 2008 9:42 pm

The married quarters are generally regular Aussie standard houses, new -10 years old (which are less solid than the houses in the UK but larger).

Most are located near the bases so if you are talking about Adelaide then in the "less desirable" northern suburbs, or the north east which is nice enough but a long way from the city (though there is some Army housing closer to town that you may luck out and get into). In Canberra the MQ's are in the north which is reasonably close to the city, or Jerrabombera which is not too far away either.

Housing is graded according to your rank and will be a precentage of your salary, with defence housing topping up the rest, so you will pay quite a bit less than the market rent. Depends on where you are posted and what your rank is but somewhere between 150-300 per week would be your contribution.

The lifestyle, depends on your mustering, but expect to get posted whenever and wherever, there is no onus from the career management group to consider your children's education or your spouse's career - and I am actually quoting what was said to us recently.

This can create issues for kids as each state has a slighlty different education system, worst of course for older children in the 14+ age group as they are getting closer to exams etc.

A lot of the wives don't work, as it is pretty difficult to manage a dual career when you might live in 2-3 different places in the space of 12 months, so hopefully your wife will enjoy going to coffee mornings and playgroups, tupperware parties and the like.

But if you are in a mustering that doesn't get posted then this won't be an issue for you - best of luck with it.