Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone quitting Aus due to the high cost of living

Anyone quitting Aus due to the high cost of living

Old Jul 29th 2013, 11:30 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone quitting Aus due to the high cost of living

We are finding many things here cheaper especially groceries, lots of things MUCH cheaper and others about the same or more. Petrol is more but running the car doesnt actually work out to be more expensive overall. On top of it being cheaper the choice and variety is enormous, we didnt leave Australia because it was expensive but the difference we are finding is certainly a bonus.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Petrol is more but running the car doesnt actually work out to be more expensive overall.
That's probably partly due to you now having a full hybrid car, meaning lower consumption and tax disc. Have you done a like-for-like comparison of the vehicles you owned in Australia?
Old Jul 29th 2013, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
yup....59 actually .......but same ole same ole
Ha ha. Completely regret speaking up about my experienes of a few weeks back. Granted .... my experience was purely holiday. Eating and drinking out .... oh and rail travel between London and coast .... now that killed my wallet.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 4:26 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
That's probably partly due to you now having a full hybrid car, meaning lower consumption and tax disc. Have you done a like-for-like comparison of the vehicles you owned in Australia?
My wife has a diesel wagon, £100 to tak instead of $600 rego, insurance no different so overall depending on miles covered of course there would be little in it. She is getting a Mini which will be the same to tax as my Prius, £30. A Prius would have been too expensive in Australia and with no Government incentive to drive one I wouldnt have bothered.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 5:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

We are finding many things here cheaper especially groceries, lots of things MUCH cheaper and others about the same or more. Petrol is more but running the car doesnt actually work out to be more expensive overall. On top of it being cheaper the choice and variety is enormous, we didnt leave Australia because it was expensive but the difference we are finding is certainly a bonus.
My wife has a diesel wagon, £100 to tak instead of $600 rego, insurance no different so overall depending on miles covered of course there would be little in it. She is getting a Mini which will be the same to tax as my Prius, £30. A Prius would have been too expensive in Australia and with no Government incentive to drive one I wouldnt have bothered.
Fair does to all of that.
I'm guessing some groceries are the biggest savings.
There would be things that are quite a bit more in the UK too, or 'the same' - but not cheap.

The petrol one comes up a bit - and one thing I say is that we tend to drive a lot more economically in semi-rural Melb than in outer London.
So that makes petrol charges cheaper in Australia - for us. Labour rates are not too bad here either.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 5:09 am
Love Machine

lumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of light

Can someone name a list of 10 things that are cheaper in Australia than the UK. I'm struggling to think of anything apart from petrol.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 5:13 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lumpommer
Can someone name a list of 10 things that are cheaper in Australia than the UK. I'm struggling to think of anything apart from petrol.
I could but you wouldn't be interested
Old Jul 30th 2013, 5:14 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

TVs
Old Jul 30th 2013, 5:15 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Mitsubishi Tritons
Old Jul 30th 2013, 5:18 am
Proudly Deplorable

iPads (if you are a girl and want a fashion accessory)
Old Jul 30th 2013, 5:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Flights to Singapore
Old Jul 30th 2013, 5:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

Fresh Prawns
Old Jul 30th 2013, 5:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Private schools
Old Jul 30th 2013, 5:29 am
Proudly Deplorable

Car insurance
Old Jul 30th 2013, 5:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Ugg boots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.