Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone quitting Aus due to the high cost of living

Anyone quitting Aus due to the high cost of living

Old Jul 26th 2013, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all
Default Re: Anyone quitting Aus due to the high cost of living

Thanks Mike,
I generally only lurk on AHB, I post more on Coopers but I will now check out Homebrewdownunder
Old Jul 26th 2013, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lumpommer
Sometimes I think I would like to move there but I think at the moment the country is a rip off.

Brits spend thousands getting visas, emmigrate, stay for a couple of years and struggle because of no or low paid work.

Extortionate housing and food and living costs eat away at savings.

So what if the weather is better all year round is it worth it if it is financial suicide.

After a couple of years they leave and a new platoon of immigrants come over the hill to replace them.

To me Immigration is a scam. And Australia makes millions out of it.

People need to wake up and think about the nightmare and not the dream.

Hi,

We met quite a few migrants (especially the newer ones) who were really struggling with the cost of living in Aus....some were really sticking to a budget and some were planning a return home, I suppose it all depends on how much you really want to make something work and there is nothing wrong with either of these ways of thoughts etc. We did find Perth was so much more expensive than when we first arrived years ago and we both (my DOH) earned a high income as well. If I was migrating now I would certainly (we hardly did anyone homework when we migrated ....oh to be so young again lol)take in to consideration costs, salaries, homes etc as no matter the sunshine I would still like the lifestyle we have/had but each to their own.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 3:20 pm
Live to dream

Sashi is an unknown quantity at this point

Dae Ja Vu, I thought I had read the OP a while back.

I do think the OP has a valid point, Immigration to Aus may to some seem like a scam, however I value the freedom of choice that it gives to people who do want to make the move. Imagine if all the borders were closed!!

We are lucky to have a choice of where we want to live in the world to a certain extent, its up to the individual to carry out the research first and make an informed choice.

I am dreading the expense, but am still going for it,

I hope I dont have to come back to the UK with my tail between my legs, but if I do at least I did it as oppose to just talk about it and live in regret of never going.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Back in the 1970s a lot of migrants would arrive (Australia actually used to do assisted passage - the Ten Pound Poms) and you had to stay a year otherwise you had to refund the full cost.

Then many would go back to the UK but after a couple of years, guess what, here they are again (but at their own expense).

It was commonly called "The two thousand dollar cure"
Old Jul 27th 2013, 5:28 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
at times I wish I could use a lump hammer on certain posters he keeps posting this same question can't we just delete it this time mate
Old Jul 27th 2013, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Graham and Maria
Thanks Mike,
I generally only lurk on AHB, I post more on Coopers but I will now check out Homebrewdownunder
Graham weren't we on a train together once after getting ratted at the Scratch bar or wherever it was ?
Old Jul 27th 2013, 6:29 am
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point

What makes me laugh here, is people chase a dream, of big houses with pools on the beach, jetskis, cars, holidays etc.

Sometimes people migrating need to align themselves with a similar financial standing as in UK, suburb, surroundings, and ask are you happy with it.

Just because you migrate doesnt mean you get better jobs, houses, and lifestyle....

Yes its sunny, but you have to work still... and you cant eat the sand or a McMansion.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by La Vida loca
What makes me laugh here, is people chase a dream, of big houses with pools on the beach, jetskis, cars, holidays etc.

Sometimes people migrating need to align themselves with a similar financial standing as in UK, suburb, surroundings, and ask are you happy with it.

Just because you migrate doesnt mean you get better jobs, houses, and lifestyle....

Yes its sunny, but you have to work still... and you cant eat the sand or a McMansion.
No but the shit smells better downunder
Old Jul 27th 2013, 7:12 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
You've got to admire lumpommer's consistency - nearly three years and his opinion hasn't changed by as much as a single word! Not many politicians could make the same claim.

Although you have to wonder why he bothers.
He hasnt done a 'housing crash' thread in a while or 'the mining boom is about to end'.

Old Jul 27th 2013, 10:22 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheetah7
He hasnt done a 'housing crash' thread in a while or 'the mining boom is about to end'.

oh gawd don't start him off again mate
Old Jul 27th 2013, 10:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

oh gawd don't start him off again mate
Ach don't worry, we'll soon take it nicely off topic again - I mean this one ended up talking about home brew
Old Jul 27th 2013, 10:37 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Ach don't worry, we'll soon take it nicely off topic again - I mean this one ended up talking about home brew
what about lettuce and the weather we haven't discussed those in a while
Old Jul 27th 2013, 10:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

what about lettuce and the weather we haven't discussed those in a while
And bananas....don't forget the bananas.....
Old Jul 27th 2013, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Don't talk to me about bloody bananas.

North of Coffs Harbour is a major banana producing area around Woolgoolga that was established by Indian Immigrants (legal, not boat people, see other thread ) and as well as a magnificent temple they ran a beautiful Indian Restaurant. Last time I stayed in Woolgoolga, Cyclone Larry had just gone through North QLD and wiped out the banana crop. So bananas went to $15 a kilo and the unscathed banana farmers in Woolgoolga made a killing for a year or more.

The sad result was that: why bust your bum cooking in a restaurant when you can be out there helping uncle and making literally millions, so the restaurant closed down.

It was the best Indian apart from Cardiff. (the Real Cardiff)
Old Jul 27th 2013, 11:12 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone ever watch Alias Smith and Jones?

Just thought I'd ask.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.