Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone quitting Aus due to the high cost of living

Anyone quitting Aus due to the high cost of living

Old Jul 25th 2013, 6:00 pm
Love Machine

lumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Anyone quitting Aus due to the high cost of living

Sometimes I think I would like to move there but I think at the moment the country is a rip off.

Brits spend thousands getting visas, emmigrate, stay for a couple of years and struggle because of no or low paid work.

Extortionate housing and food and living costs eat away at savings.

So what if the weather is better all year round is it worth it if it is financial suicide.

After a couple of years they leave and a new platoon of immigrants come over the hill to replace them.

To me Immigration is a scam. And Australia makes millions out of it.

People need to wake up and think about the nightmare and not the dream.

Old Jul 25th 2013, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone quitting Aus due to the high cost of living

Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo
Old Jul 25th 2013, 8:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=737883

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=698349
Old Jul 25th 2013, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Owned!! Lol!!

We pay a lot to see that big yellow sun in the sky hey!!

But would I change it, nope!! Just worker harder with a big smile on me chops!!
Old Jul 25th 2013, 9:16 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

at times I wish I could use a lump hammer on certain posters he keeps posting this same question can't we just delete it this time mate
Old Jul 25th 2013, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Tax rate at 45% to tax rate of 0%
Old Jul 25th 2013, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Currently I'm a carer and on a pension plus a bit of super. Anyone on a pension gets (if renting) around A$900 a fortnight and their caree gets around $860 a fortnight with cheap prescriptions, can travel anywhere in NSW for $2.50, pays no car rego, free ambulance, electricity rebate, two free donuts with a cup of coffee at Donut King etc etc. If I were a sole breadwinner, paying tax and full prescriptions, full rent, rego, full electricity, my own donuts etc I calculate I would need to be grossing around $80K to maintain identical lifestyle.

As I worked in the UK for quite a few years I'll be eligible for a part pension next year so well aware of the social security situation in UK: Current UK pension rate around A$400 a fortnight as well as having to pay $2.60 a litre for petrol. Won't be going back anytime soon.

Probably been said before but it's comparing apples with oranges. A bit like the Americans and Australians who marry Philippinas, move there for a cheap lifestyle then complain that it's far more expensive than they were led to believe because they try to replicate the lifestyle from back home in all its minute details, instead of going "local".

Not quite the case in Australia but you know what I mean. I really believe you should just cut that tie otherwise you are always mentally bound to the old place and everything tends to get put through the filter of "this is different to the old country". What a waste of grey matter when you could be using it to learn the Cello or something.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Erm, has the OP ever been here?
Old Jul 25th 2013, 11:04 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Australia is expensive, but it's inflation is roughly the same as everywhere else in the Western world. Wages are generally higher in Australia to compensate, but certain things are subject to the general economy of scale, so Aussie will always be an expensive place. If houses were priced sensibly here people would have more money to spend on the high street, instead all their wages go to the banks every month like in the UK. This is a matter of government regulation, but government is owned by the banks. It's what it is.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 11:12 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
Erm, has the OP ever been here?
You've not been here (on the forum) that long, Mike... the OP only has one type of post and this is it.

(And probably not)
Old Jul 25th 2013, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sounds like some of the guys on the home brew forums who start a new thread every few months, despite having been offered reams of good advice "Why isn't my airlock bubbling?"

Old Jul 26th 2013, 3:44 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

You've got to admire lumpommer's consistency - nearly three years and his opinion hasn't changed by as much as a single word! Not many politicians could make the same claim.

Although you have to wonder why he bothers.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 3:46 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
You've got to admire lumpommer's consistency - nearly three years and his opinion hasn't changed by as much as a single word! Not many politicians could make the same claim.

Although you have to wonder why he bothers.
i reckon they let him out of the asylum every now and again and hes forgot he mentioned it last time
Old Jul 26th 2013, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
Sounds like some of the guys on the home brew forums
Which forums would they be? (from an avid HB'er)

Austrailia is mega expensive, good job they generally pay mega wages to compensate
Old Jul 26th 2013, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Graham and Maria
Which forums would they be? (from an avid HB'er)

Austrailia is mega expensive, good job they generally pay mega wages to compensate
I was on AHB (Aussie Home Brewer) until recently but left as it's become a troll's paradise. Much prefer the more gentlemanly forums such as Homebrewdownunder which is undergoing a renaissance thanks to refugees from AHB. Also Jim's Home Brew Kit in the UK.
I believe they are trying to get a Sunny Coast club or group going based at the Sunshine Coast Brewery.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.