Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Apr 24th 2011, 2:12 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

High cost of living aside...another reason to quit:

I allowed a software vendor access on Thursday evening for a certain agreed period to install an upgrade. I have just received a call: we ****ed up on Thursday and are trying to connect but cannot login to fix it....

If they called on Thursday; I would have extended their access...

AMATEURS - in 12 years of IT in Europe, never have I had to wait 3 days before someone called and said "we ****ed up, can we have another hour"
Old Apr 24th 2011, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkMC
AMATEURS - in 12 years of IT in Europe, never have I had to wait 3 days before someone called and said "we ****ed up, can we have another hour"
You've obviously never worked with offshored work to India then
Old Apr 24th 2011, 2:17 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sr71
You've obviously never worked with offshored work to India then
HAHA yep I have, but offshore to (many countries) is the same from UK or OZ... some good..lots bad.

edit - why discriminate against India when several other neighbouring countries are the same
edit2 - at least they call and say we ****ed up...

Last edited by MarkMC; Apr 24th 2011 at 2:20 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 9:46 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkMC
High cost of living aside...another reason to quit:

I allowed a software vendor access on Thursday evening for a certain agreed period to install an upgrade. I have just received a call: we ****ed up on Thursday and are trying to connect but cannot login to fix it....

If they called on Thursday; I would have extended their access...

I'm not sure that's a good enough reason to drag me back to the UK.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 10:57 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
Really? I'm packing my bags as we speak....
Old Apr 25th 2011, 2:16 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno, the rubbish truck left our bin lying on it's side last week, it all adds up to the hell-hole in which we live.

Just goes to show, if deep down you think you should leave then you'll find what you deem to be justifications in every aspect of life ... why waste your own precious time and just get gone?
Old Apr 25th 2011, 3:24 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I dunno, the rubbish truck left our bin lying on it's side last week, it all adds up to the hell-hole in which we live.

Just goes to show, if deep down you think you should leave then you'll find what you deem to be justifications in every aspect of life ... why waste your own precious time and just get gone?
You're right. Sometimes they leave the bin 2 metres further down the road from where they picked it up. They just want to make life more difficult.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 4:12 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

You're right. Sometimes they leave the bin 2 metres further down the road from where they picked it up. They just want to make life more difficult.
They ain't called 'rubbish men' for nothing.

Them and the local paper delivery guys that leave them right at the bottom of the drive meaning I have to trek out to get them.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 4:16 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. I've seen it on this forum, I saw it numerous times on the one I ran, and to some extent I saw it in myself once I'd mentally checked out of Singapore - I was starting to find fault with everything and everybody and wanted to leave before I started hating the place. As it is I still love visiting, but it reinforces why we left and I love coming home.

MarkMC - I really advise you do what I did and start putting your effort into making plans, looking forward.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 4:39 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Seasider
Agreed. I've seen it on this forum, I saw it numerous times on the one I ran, and to some extent I saw it in myself once I'd mentally checked out of Singapore - I was starting to find fault with everything and everybody and wanted to leave before I started hating the place. As it is I still love visiting, but it reinforces why we left and I love coming home.

MarkMC - I really advise you do what I did and start putting your effort into making plans, looking forward.
I did the same with Ireland, I packed the car with every intention of moving out there ... Once there I realised I had made a huge mistake and lasted a grand total of two weeks.

I also started making silly excuses which were just a smokescreen for 'I don't want to do it'.

Now, some people will say 2 weeks is a ridiculous time to give a place (and I've been known to put people down here for not giving it a fair go ) but it's better to cut and run than waste your time/money/energy on something that will only get worse.

I love Ireland, don't get me wrong, I'd bypass the UK and holiday there given a choice ... I just didn't want to live there.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 5:00 am
Rhino with a big horn!

I did the same with Ireland, I packed the car with every intention of moving out there ... Once there I realised I had made a huge mistake and lasted a grand total of two weeks.

I also started making silly excuses which were just a smokescreen for 'I don't want to do it'.

Now, some people will say 2 weeks is a ridiculous time to give a place (and I've been known to put people down here for not giving it a fair go ) but it's better to cut and run than waste your time/money/energy on something that will only get worse.

I love Ireland, don't get me wrong, I'd bypass the UK and holiday there given a choice ... I just didn't want to live there.
Those traffic light sequences are enough to throw anyone.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 5:03 am
Mostly Harmless

Those traffic light sequences are enough to throw anyone.
That was my main gripe coupled with the fact I couldn't pronounce some of the Irish names ... It was a double-whammy that was insurmountable.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 5:04 am
Rhino with a big horn!

That was my main gripe coupled with the fact I couldn't pronounce some of the Irish names ... It was a double-whammy that was insurmountable.
The Irish for Arch is always a giggle though
Old Apr 25th 2011, 9:52 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

They ain't called 'rubbish men' for nothing.
They're not called rubbish men... they're garbo's. Sounds so much better.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 11:53 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
They're not called rubbish men... they're garbo's. Sounds so much better.
I was waiting for the correction May we deem them Greta's?

Gawd blimey, luv a duck, etc, etc ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.