Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Nov 3rd 2011, 1:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by Bix
Have you just "come out"?
No, she's been out here a few years now......
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 1:11 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Whereas us uneducated, uncultured halfwits who like Australia are in denial.
We agree on something
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 2:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the reasons for returning are subjective though don't you think. Also, why are people who are happy here that weren't in the UK in denial. Surely if you apply the same reasoning the people who are unhappy in Australia and happy in the UK are somehow rubbishing Australia to make themselves feel comfortable with their decisions to return home. No of course, the doomers don't think that reasoning would apply to them, they are far to intellectual for that. Whereas us uneducated, uncultured halfwits who like Australia are in denial. Amazing
The message is that It Depends, and rubbishing will take place on both sides. Actually, I think some people moving back are socially and culturally superior but first select the comparison. Many I feel are socially and culturally inferior to some residents here - the Middle class ready meal types.

Objectively, I think Australia is becoming a poorer option for new arrivals, and objectively it offers a lifestyle that when measured by particular criteria is often and sometimes inferior; but who sets the criteria, and who is moving here?

British migrants will always cop it. But we are all more diverse than people think: there are outlyers on the graph.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 2:12 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
The message is that It Depends, and rubbishing will take place on both sides. Actually, I think some people moving back are socially and culturally superior but first select the comparison. Many I feel are socially and culturally inferior to some residents here - the Middle class ready meal types.

Objectively, I think Australia is becoming a poorer option for new arrivals, and objectively it offers a lifestyle that when measured by particular criteria is often and sometimes inferior; but who sets the criteria, and who is moving here?

British migrants will always cop it. But we are all more diverse than people think: there are outlyers on the graph.
Nobody is inferior, just different views. This is what gets me about the stuck up posters, just because someone likes it here they are somehow uneducated and uncultured. Anyway, I try not to get embroiled in these threads these days as somehow it always ends up getting personal.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 2:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody is inferior, just different views. This is what gets me about the stuck up posters, just because someone likes it here they are somehow uneducated and uncultured. Anyway, I try not to get embroiled in these threads these days as somehow it always ends up getting personal.
You're right that you don't have to be uncultured to live here and like it.

Acknowledging that you have socially superior peers is part of life - I don't see it as being stuck up. I just find people uninteresting or interesting and often money - often a single criterion on BE- the last thing on my mind.

I would never consider people stuckup - I have no word for them - they would just be people with more money than sense and a bit gauche/dull etc ..everyone else is doing fine..
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 2:42 am
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paulry
Nobody told me that I would never be allowed to disapprove of out-of-control-immigration in my country on pain of being labeled a hypocrite because I myself am a migrant in another country which manages it's immigration well.

But as an aside, don't you consider 3 million people in just 10 years to be a tad much? And what for the next ten years? Another 3 million?

Ironic, I know.
So you do have a grasp on irony then? By the way, it's not your country anymore pal, surely Australia is ?!. The only venom is being spouted by you at people who you consider a lesser quality of migrant, they entered the country legally (and yes I know the UK system is flawed, but many Aussies think the Australian one is too) for the sake of their own improvement which makes them different to you how exactly??
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 3:56 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish
So you do have a grasp on irony then? By the way, it's not your country anymore pal, surely Australia is ?!. The only venom is being spouted by you at people who you consider a lesser quality of migrant, they entered the country legally (and yes I know the UK system is flawed, but many Aussies think the Australian one is too) for the sake of their own improvement which makes them different to you how exactly??
It's my country for as long as I hold citizenship - and I have no intention of relinquishing it. As a citizen of the country I have every right to state my opinions relating to it, are you suggesting that I don't? Likewise Australians have the same rights relating to Australia. Your venom remark: Show me the "venom" that you are referring to or retract the accusation. For the rest I refer you to post number 2394 of this thread.

And finally, you're in favour of the 3.2 + 1 million arrivals in ten years?
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 4:07 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

My God, the true figure is said to be 5.5 million!

Blair defends opening the door to mass migration and says it had a very positive impact on Britain
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 4:24 am
Account Closed

It's my country for as long as I hold citizenship - and I have no intention of relinquishing it. As a citizen of the country I have every right to state my opinions relating to it, are you suggesting that I don't? Likewise Australians have the same rights relating to Australia. Your venom remark: Show me the "venom" that you are referring to or retract the accusation. For the rest I refer you to post number 2394 of this thread.

And finally, you're in favour of the 3.2 + 1 million arrivals in ten years?
Mate, you obviously thought it easier to escape than to stay and fight off the hoards of migrants, so if you couldn't do anything about it there (however hard I'm sure you tried) then what makes you think rambling on 12,000 miles away on an internet forum is going to make any difference?

As for the retraction, even carefully worded venom is still venom, so I shan't.

3 - 3.2 - 4.2 - 5.5, you will let me know when you've finalised the figures.

Not for one minute saying you shouldn't have a say in what goes on in the UK, but you can't expect the fact that you might one day return to factor in policy developement, they have to fill the void left by people like you and me
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 4:43 am
Banned

Mate, you obviously thought it easier to escape than to stay and fight off the hoards of migrants, so if you couldn't do anything about it there (however hard I'm sure you tried) then what makes you think rambling on 12,000 miles away on an internet forum is going to make any difference?

As for the retraction, even carefully worded venom is still venom, so I shan't.

3 - 3.2 - 4.2 - 5.5, you will let me know when you've finalised the figures.

Not for one minute saying you shouldn't have a say in what goes on in the UK, but you can't expect the fact that you might one day return to factor in policy developement, they have to fill the void left by people like you and me
Another lame reply from you I see

I dunno how even the most rabid multi-culturalist can justify a net inflow of even the lowest estimation of 3 million people, and by the looks of it, in true slippery fashion you can't either. So you do have some redeeeming qualities - even if you wont admit to them
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 4:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I dunno how even the most rabid multi-culturalist can justify a net inflow of even the lowest estimation of 3 million people, and by the looks of it, in true slippery fashion you can't either. So you do have some redeeeming qualities - even if you wont admit to them
Paul - did you personally feel that the migration to where you lived caused problems and eroded your way of life?

There is at least one person on this forum who has stated that his way of life was changed. (That sounds like a Monty python quote...)
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 5:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

That's nuts. Blair/Brown have a lot to answer for.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 5:03 am
Account Closed

you should seriously consider unplugging your web cam, it's sending out spurious photos of you.

Are you saying that you're NOT a multiculturalist? just teeing up
Attached Thumbnails Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living-untitled.bmp  
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 5:17 am
Account Closed

In all seriousness Paul, I can see where you're coming from, and you've every right to voice it, but even you have to see that you're on a very sticky wicket. As far as illegals are concerned, we've butted heads before, and I do admire the way you fight your corner, but as far as legal migrants are concerned, I'm afraid that you're very much missing the point.

BTW, since being here 3 families have rented my house in the UK, 1 Polish family, 1 South African family, and an English couple, I'll leave you to guess which ones lost their bond due to the state of the place. So the tidal wave has been good to me so-far

Last edited by stevenglish; Nov 3rd 2011 at 5:30 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 5:28 am
Banned

you should seriously consider unplugging your web cam, it's sending out spurious photos of you.

Are you saying that you're NOT a multiculturalist? just teeing up
I have much more hair than that

Nah, never much liked multi-culturalism - it's similar to apartheid just with a fluffy name

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.