Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Dec 29th 2010, 10:24 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by Beoz
Looks pretty tough for those who are determined to own their own home and raise kids in Oz right now. But for the dual income, no mortage, no kids, likes of myself and my partner I can't see there is a better place to be right now. For us, we are moving for a change of scenery but mostly we are moving for the money, cash up, and hopefully add a little more to the retirement fund than we could in the UK right now.. A bit like Aussies did 10 years ago - come to London, cash up on pounds, travel a bit and return home. I still have some Aussie mates who have done 10 years in London with a wad of pounds saved up and are furious they can't return home with them.

We have a dual income £90,000 in the UK. We haven't seen a pay rise in 3 years. In fact I had to take a pay cut 2 years ago. Our jobs in Oz are earning us $280,000 dual income and on my fx rate estimation that is £180,000. Even though there is a cost of living increase in some areas what we will be able to save in Oz will hammer what we can save in the UK right now. Probably planning on sending a third back to the UK to take advantage of the FX rate, pop a third into some high interest account in Oz and spin the rest on some high risk stocks and the like. Who knows - open to suggestion.

I understand that most people aren't in our relatively flexible position, and I hope we're doing the right thing. Haven't seen anything yet to suggest otherwise.
Good luck to you both, I hope the quantity outweighs the quality for you........I will pop back in 20 years time on BE, God willing, to check this out and to check in with you...............

Last edited by Beedubya; Dec 29th 2010 at 10:29 am.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

As I said, we don't have the financial commitments of most, I recognise that and as I said I have yet to hear anything that would make me believe that staying in the UK right now is the right thing to do.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 10:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Good luck to you both, I hope the quantity outweighs the quality for you........I will pop back in 20 years time on BE, God willing, to check this out and to check in with you...............
Who knows where any of us will be in 20 years time, including you.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

The ultimate irony of this thread is that it was kicked off by someone who doesn't even live here.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 10:56 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Who knows where any of us will be in 20 years time, including you.
Very true Miss MP, probably dead at this rate of living/ existing...........
Old Dec 29th 2010, 10:57 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by 77hil
The ultimate irony of this thread is that it was kicked off by someone who doesn't even live here.
Lots of ironies in this thread..............including what is deemed to be the quality of life...........
Old Dec 29th 2010, 11:03 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of ironies in this thread..............including what is deemed to be the quality of life...........
Which I said earlier will be entirely subjective.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 11:16 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Has anyone actually defined "quality of life" in this thread? If so, can you provide examples and explain why you think they're ironic?
Old Dec 29th 2010, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Has anyone actually defined "quality of life" in this thread? If so, can you provide examples and explain why you think they're ironic?
I agree .... I'm a bit mystified by that. Having spent lots of time in Australia I like the warmer weather and the things that go along with that. Other than that I can't think of anything else. In London I like the culture, the proximity to Europe, and bizarrely I actually really liked the recent snow dump. Quality of life can be acheived in both locations. You just have to be creative and get on with it.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 12:49 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Why so defensive? I am entitled to my opionion just as you are........

I don't need to give examples I am merely observing and contemplating.............
Old Dec 29th 2010, 1:34 pm
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Indented Head
Interesting points going on.

I moved to Australia 10 weeks ago , I agree its expensive to buy groceries , do a meal planner for the week . We eat very well and can afford a bowl of ice cream at the end.

Cars are expensive to buy I agree , but look at this to buy a 14 year old Corsa its about £3,500 . So cars hold some value unlike the UK.

House prises are high , as in the UK . But I did come from a 2 bed terraced in Barnsley and made a healthy return on the sale.

The cash is currently sat in the HSBC in the Uk whilst I decide what to do with it , bring it over and get 5% on my every day savings account in Australia or keep it in my 1% account in UK. A good point to Australia you get a decent savings rate.

I am looking at a $290,000 mortgage in Australia and this will get me 3 bed , 2Bathrooms and a drive with a double garage and utility, I could not of afford this in the UK ever , unless I moved to Grimethorpe in a new Haslam home that are currently up for sale at £100,000 and I would of paid £129,000.

If I dont use my Uk cash towards this buy and deduct the £13,000 first home owners grant the Australian government give me I will be able to afford this .

Happy to do overtime to pay for the special extras I may want , thats life.

Also the land and house package people like you to negotiate I managed to get $40,000 off and carpets and curtains and kitchen up grade.

Rentals are cheap if you look around in Australia , I pay $900 a month for a two bedded near the beach (3 mins away) sounds expensive but salaries cover this.

Life is not easy , I knew the rates were crap before I left the UK. But my house sold and didn't in 2002 when I last put it up for sale when the $ was strong.

I came with savings ' saved it to spend it '.

But in 2002 I would not have the cash sat in the bank I have now. And in 2002 I bought a flat in Sheffield that has a tenant in it , and its a long term investment.

In 2002 my good old Mum said dont buy a flat there not going to go up in value ????????? £20,000 since 2002.

You have to ride with the economy spite what country you are in , dont live beyond your means and you will be fine.

Last thing , two weeks ago I had $20 disposable cash before pay day. Me and some friends spent $50 between us (£35) and spent the evening at the beach and used the free gas BBQ the government provide. Fantastic evening with a burger and a few beers.

Barnsley will not give you this ' Dus Tha No Wat A MEEN '?. Make things happen.

Great post mate, good luck and god bless, hope you stay and enjoy Oz, its a fantastic place to live.

Keith
Old Dec 29th 2010, 7:21 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Indented Head
Interesting points going on.

I moved to Australia 10 weeks ago , I agree its expensive to buy groceries , do a meal planner for the week . We eat very well and can afford a bowl of ice cream at the end.

Cars are expensive to buy I agree , but look at this to buy a 14 year old Corsa its about £3,500 . So cars hold some value unlike the UK.

House prises are high , as in the UK . But I did come from a 2 bed terraced in Barnsley and made a healthy return on the sale.

The cash is currently sat in the HSBC in the Uk whilst I decide what to do with it , bring it over and get 5% on my every day savings account in Australia or keep it in my 1% account in UK. A good point to Australia you get a decent savings rate.

I am looking at a $290,000 mortgage in Australia and this will get me 3 bed , 2Bathrooms and a drive with a double garage and utility, I could not of afford this in the UK ever , unless I moved to Grimethorpe in a new Haslam home that are currently up for sale at £100,000 and I would of paid £129,000.

If I dont use my Uk cash towards this buy and deduct the £13,000 first home owners grant the Australian government give me I will be able to afford this .

Happy to do overtime to pay for the special extras I may want , thats life.

Also the land and house package people like you to negotiate I managed to get $40,000 off and carpets and curtains and kitchen up grade.

Rentals are cheap if you look around in Australia , I pay $900 a month for a two bedded near the beach (3 mins away) sounds expensive but salaries cover this.

Life is not easy , I knew the rates were crap before I left the UK. But my house sold and didn't in 2002 when I last put it up for sale when the $ was strong.

I came with savings ' saved it to spend it '.

But in 2002 I would not have the cash sat in the bank I have now. And in 2002 I bought a flat in Sheffield that has a tenant in it , and its a long term investment.

In 2002 my good old Mum said dont buy a flat there not going to go up in value ????????? £20,000 since 2002.

You have to ride with the economy spite what country you are in , dont live beyond your means and you will be fine.

Last thing , two weeks ago I had $20 disposable cash before pay day. Me and some friends spent $50 between us (£35) and spent the evening at the beach and used the free gas BBQ the government provide. Fantastic evening with a burger and a few beers.

Barnsley will not give you this ' Dus Tha No Wat A MEEN '?. Make things happen.

A great post with a positive attitude

All things can be overcome when we have the will to succeed, put our thinking caps on and are willing to humble ourselves

Good luck to you mate!
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:17 pm
If all else fails...smile

smiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond repute

Not read all the posts, so apologies if duplicating - but from my opinion, the way I see it is that people will do what they want to do for me whilst I am stuck here in the dismal dull blighty, believe me I could not understand that someone would want to come back to it, however I do appreciate people have their reasons for wanting to.....BUT if people are coming back because they think it will be cheaper be warned.....interest rates about to sky again because inflation is rising, petrol/diesel is on the up again this week, £120.0/£125.9 (the green supermarket price without advertising them), which means everything else will go up again - I am lucky to spend less than £120 on food each week, which doesn't always include meat - property rental prices are on the rise and the only ones who seem to be winning in it all are the government and the bankers!!!
We are falling to bits over here and I don't think it will be long, before something drastic happens.....jobs are on the out.....public sector workers are going quicker than that.....it's certainly not pretty!
But hey, if you want to come back for your own reasons then go for it......but as for me, I'm outta here as soon as I can
Ems x

Oh and forgot because the weather is so pants, heating and electric bills are skying too!!

Last edited by smiling4; Dec 29th 2010 at 8:18 pm. Reason: added
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:44 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by smiling4
Oh and forgot because the weather is so pants, heating and electric bills are skying too!!
Just a oneliner.... my last Winter electricity bill was $1100 for a quarter. At current exchange rates I make that 722 quid.

A bargain huh?
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Just a oneliner.... my last Winter electricity bill was $1100 for a quarter. At current exchange rates I make that 722 quid.

A bargain huh?

How the hell did you manage to get a bill so high!! I though mine was bad at $450

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.