Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Jul 17th 2011, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

No
Old Jul 17th 2011, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
I agree. The river and city scape from Kings Park are stunning views. But that makes up a tiny fraction of the city and most people dont live with such nice views. A lot hardy ever see them unless they work in the CBD. So if we are going to consider a city as being pretty based on maybe 5% of its area then surely my home town of Middlesbrough must be up there. It has the most pig ugle centre, but my parents on the outskirts have a view of the moors which is world class.
I think a lot of world minor cities have edges on national parks - most Australian cities have 'hills' or 'mountains'. The UK north has national parks, on the doorsteps of conurbations...

To me, it's the ease with which you can get around and the relative access to all the facets of city - and country life which makes a place livable.

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I don't think you can compare Perth to London or New York. But in terms of physical attraction, which I know is subjective, when I'm looking out on the city and the river from Kings Park or driving next the river on Kwinana or Stirling, I can't think of any large UK provincial city that comes close.

As for Perth suburbs, sure they are as dull and as soulless as they come but this in my experience is the same the world over. To judge the aesthetics of a city based on its suburbs is like trying to rate the beauty of a woman based on her toe nails.
..invariably painted...

True - the suburbs in Australian cities do cop it.

I'm not a big fan but having said that there are burbs which are a bit more established which are fine.

To be honest, some are better than the UK equivalent if there is lots of terracing and little vibrancy. There are estates in the UK which are just as souless. Parts of Essex comes to mind.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I think a lot of world minor cities have edges on national parks - most Australian cities have 'hills' or 'mountains'. The UK north has national parks, on the doorsteps of

To be honest, some are better than the UK equivalent if there is lots of terracing and little vibrancy. There are estates in the UK which are just as souless. Parts of Essex comes to mind.
It's the uniformity of the middle and outer suburbs that depress me in Perth

At least in the uk those periods of growth - pre WWI, inter war, post war council estates, 80s cul de sacs - led to differences even if many of them remain uninspiring.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 2:06 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil248
No
You too huh?
Old Jul 17th 2011, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
It's the uniformity of the middle and outer suburbs that depress me in Perth

At least in the uk those periods of growth - pre WWI, inter war, post war council estates, 80s cul de sacs - led to differences even if many of them remain uninspiring.
I like the middle burbs in Melbourne...after a fashion..
It was the 80 estates I had in mind...!
Old Jul 21st 2011, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisneyland
No. I'm comparing housing costs.
And Brissy isn't even comparable to Nottingham for city size or amenities so you sure can't compare housing to London
Old Jul 21st 2011, 11:32 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

A modest "townhouse" near us in Canberra sold recently for $540k: Getting on for double the value of our good sized three bed house near London. Sod this buy a house in Australia lark - I think I'll rent here and buy another in the UK.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
A modest "townhouse" near us in Canberra sold recently for $540k: Getting on for double the value of our good sized three bed house near London. Sod this buy a house in Australia lark - I think I'll rent here and buy another in the UK.
Yep. Sound thinking. Earn the money here and spend it elsewhere.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 4:42 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Just found a major rip-off product:

Official replica RWC2011 shirt:
SA online - $75 plus delivery
UK online - $85 plus delivery
Canterbury Store Perth - $180!

I'm not into the game so much as to pay that much more!

Last edited by Amazulu; Jul 22nd 2011 at 5:15 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Just found a major rip-off product:

Officoal replica RWC2011 shirt:
SA online - $75 plus delivery
UK online - $85 plus delivery
Canterbury Store Perth - $180!

I'm not into the game so much as to pay that much more!
Are 'Officoal' products big in Perth then? Never heard of them here in Adelaide.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 5:14 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xzibit
Are 'Officoal' products big in Perth then? Never heard of them here in Adelaide.
huge
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Amazulu
huge
www.officoal.com.au ??
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 5:20 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by xzibit
fully
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 5:41 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Yep. Sound thinking. Earn the money here and spend it elsewhere.
But what a slating immigrants who send money home often get! I think this recession is the first time many people have become aware of the pressures 'economic migrants' often face. I know it's the case for me - hadn't had to tighten my belt like this since I was in my early twenties. Have never ignored the local shops to buy everything online to save money ....
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:02 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
But what a slating immigrants who send money home often get! I think this recession is the first time many people have become aware of the pressures 'economic migrants' often face. I know it's the case for me - hadn't had to tighten my belt like this since I was in my early twenties. Have never ignored the local shops to buy everything online to save money ....
Economy migrants more like

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.