Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Jul 16th 2011, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by NELBHOY
Eh!!!? Get real!
I am. I spent a fair bit of my life in some big council estates and if the worst happend financialy i could go back and not be too unhappy. But i would rather slit my wrists than live in one of the big burbs. Though a fair bit of the depression has a fair bit to do with the thought of living with the sort of people that find these place great.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 9:00 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Crocodiles are way more aggressive than Alligators, the latter become almost dog tame in captivity whereas Saltwater Crocs never tame down.

Originally Posted by Moneymatters
I'd prefer to take on a croc than an alligator. I went on a "croc cruise" up in Cape Trib and saw one croc. Plus, the guide told us that an Aboriginal had crossed the Daintree, swimming, for a carton of VB. More chance of being killed by a coconut falling on your head
Old Jul 16th 2011, 9:02 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a fan of council estates anywhere but I hate the huge manufactured suburban estates just as much, bland soulless places.

Originally Posted by verystormy
I am. I spent a fair bit of my life in some big council estates and if the worst happend financialy i could go back and not be too unhappy. But i would rather slit my wrists than live in one of the big burbs. Though a fair bit of the depression has a fair bit to do with the thought of living with the sort of people that find these place great.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 9:03 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I'd prefer to take on a croc than an alligator. I went on a "croc cruise" up in Cape Trib and saw one croc. Plus, the guide told us that an Aboriginal had crossed the Daintree, swimming, for a carton of VB. More chance of being killed by a coconut falling on your head

I don't think the family members that lost family to crocs up that way in the last couple of years would agree with the guide.
He's talking shit.
Croc numbers are growing as are human attacks.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
A very cogent post. ;-)

I think that people get so caught up with comparing, say Melbourne (or even Sydney) to New York and London and explaining how they can never compare (define compare) people forget that many Australian Capital Cities are biggish...and have things going on..people knock Brisbane and redneck Queensland - but I am not so churlish to write it off completely - for example there will be stuff going on in most Australian capitals of interest if you seek it out....and maybe have more going on than in other UK cities outside London, Birmingham and Manchester.

Melbourne does compare favourably, with Birmingham which in world terms is pretty small - (clearly it's part of the West Midlands conurbation). Even Manchester has a population of half that of an Australian capital city.

There are cities in the US - practically outside the limelight - which have almost 1M odd people living in them. Even Jacksonville, Florida has 3/4M - as does Fort Worth, Texas..

Clearly I have chosen to concentrate on population to illustrate a point - I expect to be taken to town for it....
I think when you compare Australian cities to the UK it should be done individually, the vastness of Australia means when you take say Perth and Western Australia for instance it should be compared to living in the whole of Western Europe. And when you do such a comparison then it really shows how limited and just how much there is going on. If you live in the UK most events or cities are doable on a day trip. UK and Victoria are roughly similar size, Victoria has 1 fairly large city and then pretty much nothing else. UK has 1 mega city and then a few large urban areas and a whole host of small cities, if you lived in the midlands everything would be on offer. Another difference between Australian cities and UK cities is the British have always had a penchant for living in the country and leaving the city behind. The exact opposite is true for Australia.

Football could be a good example, In football mad Victoria they have 8 AFL teams to support, 7 in Melbourne and 1 just down the road in Geelong. In the UK you have over 100 professional football teams to support in a similar geographical area.

So my point is to make a fairer comparison between the countries take your individual state and compare it to the whole of the UK.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 9:38 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
I don't think the family members that lost family to crocs up that way in the last couple of years would agree with the guide.
He's talking shit.
Just because you only see one on a croc spotting trip doesn't mean there aren't plenty around. Go at night with a torch and check out how many eyes you can see in the mangrove.

We went for a walk on an island in the Gulf of Carpentaria sailing around there - came back to the dinghy and a 5 metre croc had appeared on the beach between us and the dinghy. That was one heck of a sprint back to the dinghy - and thankfully for once the outboard started immediately! No way I'd underestimate a crocodile - for anyone who is complacent about the risks check out the deaths....

http://ozmagic.homestead.com/austral...leattacks.html
Old Jul 16th 2011, 10:20 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Just because you only see one on a croc spotting trip doesn't mean there aren't plenty around. Go at night with a torch and check out how many eyes you can see in the mangrove.

We went for a walk on an island in the Gulf of Carpentaria sailing around there - came back to the dinghy and a 5 metre croc had appeared on the beach between us and the dinghy. That was one heck of a sprint back to the dinghy - and thankfully for once the outboard started immediately! No way I'd underestimate a crocodile - for anyone who is complacent about the risks check out the deaths....

http://ozmagic.homestead.com/austral...leattacks.html
Saltwater crocs are very clever. They have to be to eat. Not being spotted is a part of their skill.

Having said that, they eyes in the mangroves may well be courting couples getting it off in a risky environment to add the the pleasure.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 10:26 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
Saltwater crocs are very clever. They have to be to eat. Not being spotted is a part of their skill.

Having said that, they eyes in the mangroves may well be courting couples getting it off in a risky environment to add the the pleasure.
Do you know the Ramree Island story? When around 500 Japanese soldiers were eaten by crocs in Burma escaping from the British....

(what am I saying? You were probably there!)
Old Jul 16th 2011, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Moneymatters is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bix
He's talking shit.
Well, yes. But fatal croc attacks have dropped significantly over the years thanks to extra safety precautions and signage.

Ok let me rephrase, Alligators certainly have the stonger bite

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't like to be caught in the water with either.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Well, not sure what a "world class" city is. But other than in population i dont see how Perth could be compared to places like London, New York or HK in any way. Perth is just a big version of Kalgoorlie.

As for being so beautiful. It does have its charms but i find the sprawling re faceless suburbs as depressing as the worst council blocks i have ever seen.

Population is irrelervant. To rank a city and how good it is to live there based on the number of people who do then why arent we all living in China or Mexico city.
I don't think you can compare Perth to London or New York. But in terms of physical attraction, which I know is subjective, when I'm looking out on the city and the river from Kings Park or driving next the river on Kwinana or Stirling, I can't think of any large UK provincial city that comes close.

As for Perth suburbs, sure they are as dull and as soulless as they come but this in my experience is the same the world over. To judge the aesthetics of a city based on its suburbs is like trying to rate the beauty of a woman based on her toe nails.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I don't think you can compare Perth to London or New York. But in terms of physical attraction, which I know is subjective, when I'm looking out on the city and the river from Kings Park or driving next the river on Kwinana or Stirling, I can't think of any large UK provincial city that comes close.

As for Perth suburbs, sure they are as dull and as soulless as they come but this in my experience is the same the world over. To judge the aesthetics of a city based on its suburbs is like trying to rate the beauty of a woman based on her toe nails.
I agree. The river and city scape from Kings Park are stunning views. But that makes up a tiny fraction of the city and most people dont live with such nice views. A lot hardy ever see them unless they work in the CBD. So if we are going to consider a city as being pretty based on maybe 5% of its area then surely my home town of Middlesbrough must be up there. It has the most pig ugle centre, but my parents on the outskirts have a view of the moors which is world class.

Having lived and worked in countries around the world i do consider the burbs of Perth as being exceptionally dull. It is as if they have dreamt up some bizzare competition for making lifeless, slit your wrists dullness a major competition and are going all out to win.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 2:33 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Don't see there is a debate here really.

My personal experience of large cities is limited to European countries and Australia but I have yet to see anywhere the so called burbs are any different.

They are all inherently the same sprawling masses of built up areas with some taller than others and some with varying layouts.

None are exactly pretty or ugly.
They are what they are and have become what they are by necessity at some stage.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 2:57 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Well, yes. But fatal croc attacks have dropped significantly over the years thanks to extra safety precautions and signage.

Ok let me rephrase, Alligators certainly have the stonger bite

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't like to be caught in the water with either.
They tell me thats the issue. Croc bites aren't fatal, (although shock and loss of blood may be) but the buggers drag you in and under. On land you might be able to fight one off, if you were determined and lucky. In water you are dead meat. Literally.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

boots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud of

Was in Broome just after Malcolm Douglas died,staying at Cable Beach the disturbed bloke who jumped the fence into the croc park did die from infections recieved from a croc bite.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by papilon
I think when you compare Australian cities to the UK it should be done individually, the vastness of Australia means when you take say Perth and Western Australia for instance it should be compared to living in the whole of Western Europe. And when you do such a comparison then it really shows how limited and just how much there is going on. If you live in the UK most events or cities are doable on a day trip. UK and Victoria are roughly similar size, Victoria has 1 fairly large city and then pretty much nothing else. UK has 1 mega city and then a few large urban areas and a whole host of small cities, if you lived in the midlands everything would be on offer. Another difference between Australian cities and UK cities is the British have always had a penchant for living in the country and leaving the city behind. The exact opposite is true for Australia.

Football could be a good example, In football mad Victoria they have 8 AFL teams to support, 7 in Melbourne and 1 just down the road in Geelong. In the UK you have over 100 professional football teams to support in a similar geographical area.

So my point is to make a fairer comparison between the countries take your individual state and compare it to the whole of the UK.
Mobility is definitely a key in the UK, yes.

But I find Melbourne compares favourably to the UK for me on many levels because I'm not interested in London or some of the Uk conurbations. I would live anywhere other than the Midlands.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.