Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Mar 29th 2011, 11:41 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by brendarover
How about a thread

"Anyone not going to Aus because of the high cost of living and the cr@p exchange rate".
There's been a few of them, if you were interested enough to find them.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

pink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of light

I don't give a flying fook how how the cost of living is over here
7 months now and lurving it much
We are both working living in the best complex in the world (holiday every min we are not at work hehe) 10 min walk to the beach
fantastic people (except bus and taxi drivers) (except for the one who found my hubbies wallet in his taxi and bought it round to the house )
At the end of our fortnight we are penniless but the sun is shining people are smiling and the gym 4 pools jacuzzi and BBQ are in with the rent i know where i would rather be short of cash
Quitting nah no on your nelly
Old Apr 9th 2011, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

davet19650 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all not sure where to start seen all your pros and cons on here about whether better living in oz or the uk ....OK heres my situation have our visas 176 process of the move been on the go for 3 years now, hopefully just sold the house now have serious doults above moving, did the recky march 2010 house prices and rental prices have shot up since then, mrs wont work when we get there as i cant see here getting a job with out transport because we wont be able to afford 2 cars, cost of moving out there etc etc starting a fresh for a new life can we actually do it ????????????????????
Old Apr 9th 2011, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davet19650
Hi all not sure where to start seen all your pros and cons on here about whether better living in oz or the uk ....OK heres my situation have our visas 176 process of the move been on the go for 3 years now, hopefully just sold the house now have serious doults above moving, did the recky march 2010 house prices and rental prices have shot up since then, mrs wont work when we get there as i cant see here getting a job with out transport because we wont be able to afford 2 cars, cost of moving out there etc etc starting a fresh for a new life can we actually do it ????????????????????
If you live in the right location you wont need two cars That means Inner Cities probably though. Oz Inner Cities are pretty good places to be.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 11:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Rentals can take time to find being so competitive but not sure it's correct to say house prices have risen so much over the year.
In Perth there has been a movement down slightly,from a very inflated base,i grant you,but no upward movement from what i can detect.
PLaces like Gold Coast and Cairns,have seen declines and a slow moving market.
Be surprised if big movements upwards in other cities,treading water at best,i would have thought.
Will the high dollar though at the moment folk will feel some pain.

As for the car,neither of us had access to a car for the first couple of years,but OH did indeed require one as time passed for her employment.
We live in Inner City though so take advantage of train and bus links.

But life certainly isn't cheap in a whole swag of things as i'm sure you'll have discovered.

Good luck on the forth coming move.....
Old Apr 9th 2011, 11:55 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Be surprised if big movements upwards in other cities,treading water at best,i would have thought.
Melbourne prices have spiked...if anywhere is in a bubble it's Melbourne.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
If you live in the right location you wont need two cars That means Inner Cities probably though. Oz Inner Cities are pretty good places to be.
Even out of the inner city, you might not need 2 cars, although one of you at least would have to be working in the CBD or near good transport links. And of course you'll need to live near public transport as well. We live in the middle suburbs and only have one car. We are near a train line and both work in the CBD and have no need for a 2nd car.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 9:53 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Not read all the posts, but finding it hard to justify staying here.

Moved up to Gold Coast (working in Brissie) money is apparently good but I was earning the "figure" in the UK (swap the $ for a pound sign).

Boss keep telling me SEQLDis cheaper than Sydney, I totally disagree. Rent is still $460 a week (same as we paid in Sydney) only we have 4 beds instead of 3. Guys at work agree, house still costs the same, just you get a bigger yard here.

As for the amazing lifestyle we apparently have here... yep granted we can go to the beach on weekends, and get to see some great sunsets on evening walks but the whole lifestyle is much worse. In the UK we could afford 3 overseas holidays a year if we wanted, and I'm not talking Europe, more like Canada, Hawaii, etc. We would often head to the smoke for a weekend, meals out, pubs, theatre etc, we can only dream of affording a weekend back in sydney/melbourne for the theatre.

We used to run 3 cars, petrol was never an issue, here we struggle to run one and I have to put up with a packed train for commuting...

Only decision now, is do we clear off tomorrow, or put up with this crap existence for another 18 months just to get a passport that will probably never get used...
Old Apr 10th 2011, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkMC
Moved up to Gold Coast (working in Brissie) money is apparently good but I was earning the "figure" in the UK (swap the $ for a pound sign).
Ouch...guess was never going to be equivalent lifestyle with a salary roughly 2.2 times lower (based on avg salaries).

How did you drop that much...contract IT role in UK to permanent in Oz?
Old Apr 10th 2011, 10:33 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fish.01
Ouch...guess was never going to be equivalent lifestyle with a salary roughly 2.2 times lower (based on avg salaries).

How did you drop that much...contract IT role in UK to permanent in Oz?
Yep, Been trying to go contracting up here, but can't get more than $60 an hour (inc super) not worth giving up the permy job for that.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Davesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to all
Smile Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Mrkmc

Have you been back to the uk ? Things have changed since you left according to your sig , and I don't care how much you earn or where you live - 3 cars is gonna bankrupt you for starters . Think carefully about that green grass :0)
Old Apr 10th 2011, 12:23 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davesax
Mrkmc

Have you been back to the uk ? Things have changed since you left according to your sig , and I don't care how much you earn or where you live - 3 cars is gonna bankrupt you for starters . Think carefully about that green grass :0)
Davesax

Have you actually ever lived in Australia?
Old Apr 10th 2011, 12:43 pm
mmmmmm duff

Originally Posted by Davesax
Mrkmc

Mrs went back for a family thing, couldn't afford for both of us to go.

I'm still in touch with guys I worked with, things had slowed, but starting to pick up now apparently.

Looking on Autotrader.co.uk, cars are cheaper than ever.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 12:58 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkMC
Mrs went back for a family thing, couldn't afford for both of us to go.

I'm still in touch with guys I worked with, things had slowed, but starting to pick up now apparently.

Looking on Autotrader.co.uk, cars are cheaper than ever.
Go now then, a year and a half is a lot of time to waste for a 'mercenary'.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 2:58 pm
Love Machine

lumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Go now then, a year and a half is a lot of time to waste for a 'mercenary'.
Dim, How dare you hammer him.

He is only stating the truth and trying to do the best for himself and his family.

People need to wake up and smell the coffee - AUSTRALIA IS TOO EXPENSIVE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.