Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Dec 28th 2010, 9:14 am
Love Machine

lumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Sometimes I think I would like to move there but I think at the moment the country is a rip off.

Brits spend thousands getting visas, emmigrate, stay for a couple of years and struggle because of no or low paid work.

Extortionate housing and food and living costs eat away at savings.

So what if the weather is better all year round is it worth it if it is financial suicide.

After a couple of years they leave and a new platoon of immigrants come over the hill to replace them.

To me Immigration is a scam. And Australia makes millions out of it.

People need to wake up and think about the nightmare and not the dream.

Old Dec 28th 2010, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Rubbish. Started off sensible enough. Too expensive, don't come. Simple as.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 9:29 am
Love Machine

lumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 77hil
Rubbish. Started off sensible enough. Too expensive, don't come. Simple as.
Sorry mate but you need to remove your blinkers.

I feel that you can get what Aus can offer in other countries for a fraction of the price

Old Dec 28th 2010, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lumpommer
Sometimes I think I would like to move there but I think at the moment the country is a rip off.

Brits spend thousands getting visas, emmigrate, stay for a couple of years and struggle because of no or low paid work.

So what if the weather is better all year round is it worth it if it is financial suicide.

After a couple of years they leave and a new platoon of immigrants come over the hill to replace them.

don't come to uk then , if you want cheap living just put in 36 liters of diesel £48 1.30 per liter
Old Dec 28th 2010, 9:40 am
Love Machine

Originally Posted by concretepump
don't come to uk then , if you want cheap living just put in 36 liters of diesel £48 1.30 per liter
I agree mate 1.30 per litre is disgusting. But in Aus fuel costs have seen large hikes in recent years.

They may as well put it up to 2 quid a litre in the UK because we would still pay it.

We all moan but collectively do nothing.

Old Dec 28th 2010, 9:44 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry mate but you need to remove your blinkers.

I feel that you can get what Aus can offer in other countries for a fraction of the price

I disagree because everyones circumstances are different. My family couldn't have the quality of life we have anywhere else in the world. It won't be the case for someone else because that is the way life is.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 9:53 am
ABCDiamond

I agree mate 1.30 per litre is disgusting. But in Aus fuel costs have seen large hikes in recent years.

They may as well put it up to 2 quid a litre in the UK because we would still pay it.

We all moan but collectively do nothing.

Not everyone moans, some of us do things to fix it, and live in relative comfort

Food and living costs do not have to be extortionate, but you do need to shop around.

Housing also does not have to be extortionate, but if you want city or beachside living, then it will cost, and that is something that should be expected.

Property in Brisbane for example, in the 3 months ended Sept 2010, there were 3,117 new lettings of 3 Bed houses, with a median of $380 pw.
That median Brisbane 3 Bed house rent is 27% of the average Male Full time wage in QLD. Maybe high, but not extortionate.

Old Dec 28th 2010, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

On balance, the cost of living is pretty much on par with the UK. Some things are more expensive and some things are cheaper. All the people we know that have migrated to Oz are certainly not better or worse off financially, but all have stated that they have a better standard of living.
Although they all miss certain aspects of the UK, who wouldn't, none of them have plans to return.
Regards Derren
Old Dec 28th 2010, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

You can't buy warm sunshine in the UK for whatever the price.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

The weather isnt better all year round but it is very expensive.

Ive just come back from melbourne spending a week with relatives from UK.
They have recently been in Perth and nearly died from the temps they have some photos of each other black with flies They were also shocked at just how wet qld could be. (450ml in some parts this month ).

I find food expensive in QLD, but it seemed even more expensive in melbourne even at the markets, we were in south yarra and went to markets and woolworth ( safeway there) and OMBGeven more expensive than qld, which I cant say I have noticed before. EG, cherries 15 a kilo, mangos 4 each, lemons 6 a kilo, apples 8 a kilo, the pom rels were astounded at almost all food costs. The tiny south yarra townhouse we were at for lunch was going up for sale for over 1 million and its a dated worn place that needs a good reno, at that price the buyer will also need over 50 k for stamp duty. We went to the city for lunch, $81 for 2 entrees, some bread and 3 glasses of wine, even I fell over with shock!

I could see the rels were extremely shocked at the cost of stuff here, but most seemed to think we were all having a 'lovely' lifestyle here and overall seemed to think life was 'easier', 'less stressful' in OZ, but they saw us in christmas mode, dressed up, dining in luxury, doing the tourist stuff. Dont know what they would have made of us on a wet monday morning with traffic, job, school run??

Super expensive for sure, but I know christmas week we certainly gave them the wow factor, so maybe some might still think its worth it.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 10:04 am
Love Machine

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The weather isnt better all year round but it is very expensive.

Ive just come back from melbourne spending a week with relatives from UK.
They have recently been in Perth and nearly died from the temps they have some photos of each other black with flies They were also shocked at just how wet qld could be. (450ml in some parts this month ).

I find food expensive in QLD, but it seemed even more expensive in melbourne even at the markets, we were in south yarra and went to markets and woolworth ( safeway there) and OMBGeven more expensive than qld, which I cant say I have noticed before. EG, cherries 15 a kilo, mangos 4 each, lemons 6 a kilo, apples 8 a kilo, the pom rels were astounded at almost all food costs. The tiny south yarra townhouse we were at for lunch was going up for sale for over 1 million and its a dated worn place that needs a good reno, at that price the buyer will also need over 50 k for stamp duty. We went to the city for lunch, $81 for 2 entrees, some bread and 3 glasses of wine, even I fell over with shock!

I could see the rels were extremely shocked at the cost of stuff here, but most seemed to think we were all having a 'lovely' lifestyle here and overall seemed to think life was 'easier', 'less stressful' in OZ, but they saw us in christmas mode, dressed up, dining in luxury, doing the tourist stuff. Dont know what they would have made of us on a wet monday morning with traffic, job, school run??

Super expensive for sure, but I know christmas week we certainly gave them the wow factor, so maybe some might still think its worth it.
At last a bit of balance and perspective.

Old Dec 28th 2010, 10:10 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

anyone quitting Aus due to high cost of living is kidding themselves UK is any better. It's a cop out cos it's swings and roundabouts and if anyone wants to go back, they need to do it but don't blame it on the cost of living. Aus is not the land of free for all and neither is the UK.

Build a bridge and get over it. easy as
Old Dec 28th 2010, 10:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Massive generalisation and completely ignoring the fact that thousands go through the migration process and live here more than happily for many years. Your statement may be true for you but please don't assume it's fact for everyone else. I'm awake, not having a nightmare and not even living a dream. I'm living my life as I wish and where I wish. As for better weather the year round, that's bullshit. It's better for me here than in the UK but for stacks of people it's not but the benefits of their lives often outweighs the problems they have with the weather.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
anyone quitting Aus due to high cost of living is kidding themselves UK is any better. It's a cop out cos it's swings and roundabouts and if anyone wants to go back, they need to do it but don't blame it on the cost of living. Aus is not the land of free for all and neither is the UK.

Build a bridge and get over it. easy as
I reckon the main reason any would go back now is the exchange rate.

We were discussing over chrissy lunch if cousin sold his South Yarra townhouse for the mill he could go to UK with 650 GBP ( based on that days exchange rate ) . Even in SE england, thats more than a 2 bed townhouse with windows that fall out when you open them
Old Dec 28th 2010, 10:29 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

If you work in Australia it shouldn't be overally expensive. The issue here is that people that are migrating here are still under the impression that it's 2002 all over again with cost of living and price. Clearly Australia has moved on since then.

Brits are so stubborn to the fact that Britain is an expensive country when in reality its not. So when they find a place that's more expensive (and theres many) then the country is just a rip off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.