Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone planning on joining the fire brigade in Oz?

Anyone planning on joining the fire brigade in Oz?

Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

GILDOC will become famous soon enough
Default Anyone planning on joining the fire brigade in Oz?

Ultimately my husband plans to go full time in the fire brigade in Oz or NZ, he is in the retained fire brigade in scotland at the moment. However we believe that he would be unable to apply until he is a permanent resident. Anyone know if there is anyway round this?
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone planning on joining the fire brigade in Oz?

Originally Posted by GILDOC
Ultimately my husband plans to go full time in the fire brigade in Oz or NZ, he is in the retained fire brigade in scotland at the moment. However we believe that he would be unable to apply until he is a permanent resident. Anyone know if there is anyway round this?
No I very much doubt there is a way round it. Be prepared to have a Plan B because the competition to get in is very high just like in the UK. Not sure about the rules in NZ.

Good luck!
Old Mar 17th 2009, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

jackhigh is a jewel in the roughjackhigh is a jewel in the roughjackhigh is a jewel in the roughjackhigh is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by GILDOC
being full time or retained cuts no ice in Oz. You takes your chances with the thousands of others who are trying to join the fire, police and ambulance. Not a good time to be trying to get into the fire service here IMO as with unemployment on the rise many people are now viewing public services as a safe job thus applications have gone through the roof
Old Mar 17th 2009, 11:09 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Without putting a downer on your plans, it's incredibly hard to get into the fire service here. Any experience, whether in another state or another country is not recognised and in fact seems to be a hindrance as they like to take a clean slate (person) and train them in their ways and methods.

Your husband will be applying along with shedloads of youngsters who they also prefer as they'll get more service out of them. They have a high number of people applying each year and only do one or two intakes a year so he'll be up against it.

If he really wants to continue firefighting, I would suggest he starts off applying for the volunteer rural fire brigades, he'd at least be a) doing something he enjoys and b) in the right place for moving upward. This website has some useful info including all the state websites.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

Axel is an unknown quantity at this point

The fire brigade is a state government and you need to have a PR.
There are brigades who "sponsor" experienced fire fighters if they have an shortage with experienced people.

I applied for a vacancy as a experienced fire fighter and they put me on hold until i received a visa. Then i have to contact them asap.

Also in the Netherlands the competition among the youngsters is very high. At the moment we have a very, very young crew and it is not always good for the "quality".
Old Mar 18th 2009, 6:33 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Axel
The fire brigade is a state government and you need to have a PR.
There are brigades who "sponsor" experienced fire fighters if they have an shortage with experienced people.

I applied for a vacancy as a experienced fire fighter and they put me on hold until i received a visa. Then i have to contact them asap.

Also in the Netherlands the competition among the youngsters is very high. At the moment we have a very, very young crew and it is not always good for the "quality".
Here in WA they prefer slightly older applicants, mid twenties is a good age. They want people with a bit of life experience.

As a volunteer firefighter I know many career firefighters, it's very tough to get in and most who do get in do so after several attempts, it's rare to get in first time. The physical tests are pretty thorough but most seem to fail the notorious "psych" test.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

it's rare to get in first time. The physical tests are pretty thorough but most seem to fail the notorious "psych" test.[/QUOTE]

I did a charity boot camp the other month through work. One of the days was the physical test for the Victorian Metropolitan Fire Brigade. I like to think I am quite fit for my age, (very good looking late forties) but I would have failed, mainly on the beep test

Try having a word with badge, I think he was trying for the MFB but don't know how he got on.

John
Old Mar 18th 2009, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Axel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth
Here in WA they prefer slightly older applicants, mid twenties is a good age. They want people with a bit of life experience.

As a volunteer firefighter I know many career firefighters, it's very tough to get in and most who do get in do so after several attempts, it's rare to get in first time. The physical tests are pretty thorough but most seem to fail the notorious "psych" test.

I am allready a career fire fighter for 8 years now.
Guess i am one of the lucky ones to get in the first attempt, our physical test is more tough than the average because all recruits HAVE to dive until they reached the age of 40.

About 2 years ago a officer from the Brisbane area visited our station and i guided him in our station. He kind of offered me to transfer me to their brigade without all the physical stuff.
But unfortunally we couldn't leave at that stage.

Now we know several station officers and a regional officer who are willing to help me into their brigade. I only have to take care that i will have the interview and after that they can help me furter (as a lateral entry). Probably without the physical stuff. ( they said: you allready done the whole process so why do it again)

First take care we get the visa and than contact the TFS asap.

Cheers,

Axel