Reload this Page >

Anyone in OZ happy with life??

Wikiposts

Anyone in OZ happy with life??

Old Aug 26th 2003, 10:15 am
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey bondipom, are you renting in Sydney and what trade are you in.

I luv Sydney and cant wait, just getting worried about the job front.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I've been out here 10 years, 7 in NZ and 3 in Oz. Never even been back to UK for a holiday. Had a couple of hoildays in Oz when living in NZ and decided to move across to Brisbane.

Still cannot decide wether I like NZ or Oz best, but I consider they are both better than UK. Mind you I'm single and have no close ties left in the UK and so don't have the pressures of family half the world away.

The only down side as far as I'm concerd is the work situation in Oz. I'm in IT and postions avalable are pretty few and far between, I found the situation much better in Auckland.

I believe the IT situation is better in Sydney and Melbourne but then I'd be just getting back into the rat race I escaped from by leaving the UK and I've no intension of doing that.

With what I can see tradespeople are in great demand down here as most Oz kids aim for Uni, get qualifications and then find their aren't the no of hi tech job available down here for them, so have to head abroad to find relevant work.

I'm not saying their aren't any hi tech jobs here because their are it's just their are too many people chaseing them compared to the UK.

A lot of people denigrate the the weather here, but I find it's a great morale booster to KNOW the sun is going to shine every day, the daytime temp is going to be 20C plus every day, and at the weekends I'm within an hour of beaches, mountains and islands, non of which will be overcrowded with other people.

It won't suit everyone, but it suits me just fine.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 11:37 am
owieb

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
I've been out here 10 years, 7 in NZ and 3 in Oz. Never even been back to UK for a holiday. Had a couple of hoildays in Oz when living in NZ and decided to move across to Brisbane.

Still cannot decide wether I like NZ or Oz best, but I consider they are both better than UK. Mind you I'm single and have no close ties left in the UK and so don't have the pressures of family half the world away.

The only down side as far as I'm concerd is the work situation in Oz. I'm in IT and postions avalable are pretty few and far between, I found the situation much better in Auckland.

I believe the IT situation is better in Sydney and Melbourne but then I'd be just getting back into the rat race I escaped from by leaving the UK and I've no intension of doing that.

With what I can see tradespeople are in great demand down here as most Oz kids aim for Uni, get qualifications and then find their aren't the no of hi tech job available down here for them, so have to head abroad to find relevant work.

I'm not saying their aren't any hi tech jobs here because their are it's just their are too many people chaseing them compared to the UK.

A lot of people denigrate the the weather here, but I find it's a great morale booster to KNOW the sun is going to shine every day, the daytime temp is going to be 20C plus every day, and at the weekends I'm within an hour of beaches, mountains and islands, non of which will be overcrowded with other people.

It won't suit everyone, but it suits me just fine.
Agree totally, Perth is very much the same, I'm 5 mins from the beach which puts a big smile on my face everyday!

Only been here a year, but I have no intention of wasting my hard earned dollars on a trip back to the UK when there is so much beautiful stuff to see in Australia.

Old Aug 26th 2003, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

jah4reds is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anyone in OZ happy with life??

Originally posted by wolfens_wife
Is there anyone out there that is originally from the UK that feel that they have made the right move emigrating?? There are so many negative comments on this board, is there anybody out in OZ happy??

Hi wolfens_wife,

We've been here 4 1/2 years - and had two children as well since arriving.

There's good points and bad points to living here - but overall we are still convinced that this has been the right move us to migrate.

We are still happy

AndyH
Old Aug 26th 2003, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm happy!

I've been here nearly 3 years now. I fell in love with my Adelaidian boyfriend over in London, spent a year here on a WHV and then got a de facto spouse visa. I'm just in the process of getting everything together for my 2 year re-assessment (so much easier the second time around).

I love Adelaide. I'm 24, and earlier this year bought a flat with my boyfriend, the next month we got a dog. With the work I'm doing and the funds we'd saved this would not have been possible in London, and if we'd done it in Nottingham, or similar, we would never have got such a nice place for the equivalent price.

I love the attitude here, it suits me well. I'm sure if I was a bit more ambitious I might be better suited to Melbourne or Sydney.

The weather's great. We get four seasons in Adelaide, with spring and autumn being my favourites - Summer is mostly lovely, but when you get 10 days in a row when it's over 35c it can get a bit too much (especially 3 days in a row over 40c!).

The winter weather is slowly abating - 16c here today, so that means the barbeques will start happening again. We can resume sitting on our balconies in the evening. Al fresco eating and drinking in the city is so pleasant.

I miss my family and friends, but I'm happy knowing that we get on well and speak often, I've been home once, and they're coming over here in stages.

I won't go on about the downside to living here, but can tall you that the upside makes my stay and love it!

Nara
Old Aug 26th 2003, 7:05 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

There are huge tax implications. When you fill out your IR I am leaving Britain for good form they specifically ask if you still have a property.

The tax return here also asks what foreign income including rent from overseas that you have.

For a start look at www.ato.gov.au.