Anyone Over 50

Old Aug 30th 2005, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: was Bradford then poole dorset then Sydney,Forster, Kanwal,Gosford,and now Erina
FRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Over 50

Originally Posted by suzannepatricia
Hi Janet. I am emigrating hopefully very soon when my house is sold. I am just(yesterday) 62, on my own , (ex husband died some years ago)and my son also lives in Sydney with his wife and 4 children( one of his own and 3 step) His first wife lives in Perth with my granddaughter.My only other child lives near me, not attached, and he will follow me out there when I have settled in.
I am also going on the contributory parent visa, but it's worth doing to speed up the process. I decided to make a complete clean break :scared: , as my son in Sydney is very sure that I will not want to go back. I agree. I have done accounts all my life, but recently became a carer for adults with learning disabilities and love it, so hope to pursue that down under, just on a part time basis.Or may try something else. My hobbies are varied, but include amateur theatricals, so feel that I should be able to start up a social life pretty easily. I am actually going to rent, and will start off, after an initial visit to Sydney, in Perth. I don't think age has anything to do with it, just your attitude to life and challenges. Be lucky! Suzanne
Thank you for the reply i hope everything goes well for you Janet
Old Aug 31st 2005, 8:33 pm
reallywanabeeaussie

dmb357 is on a distinguished road

Hi Janet
We are in a similar position, hubby 64 me 51 and we are really up for this move, definately no turning back. We realize there may be down sides(little tiny ones!) but we need the challenge!!! I applied for jobs out there when we were visiting last year and if I had had a visa then I would have got one. I wish my mother had the same attitude as yours, its getting a bit emotional now.
Go for it! Its going to be great!!
Diana

Originally Posted by FRAYNE
This is my first visit to the site and i would value any feedback from anyone who has taken the plunge and emigrated in there fifties i am 51 and my husband is 55,our son has lived in Sydney for 7 years we are in the process of getting a parent contribution visa i know its expensive but we really do not have a choice.

My husband was in the army for 22 years and the last 10 years he has worked for himself as a mobile mechanic 3 days a week and teaches car repairs 2 days a week at a private school, i was a post office manager we are not sure what we will do when we get out there.

We have decided to rent our house out in the UK for a year just in case things do not work out, we have lived away from our parents for over 30 years so we are not likely to get home sick and we have been out to Australia many times to visit our son .my mum who is in her seventies says go for it life isn't a rehearsal and other people think its a big risk at our age is there anyone out there who as done what we plan to do any feedback from anyone are we mad?.
thanks Janet
Old Sep 1st 2005, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: was Bradford then poole dorset then Sydney,Forster, Kanwal,Gosford,and now Erina
FRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmb357
Hi Janet
We are in a similar position, hubby 64 me 51 and we are really up for this move, definately no turning back. We realize there may be down sides(little tiny ones!) but we need the challenge!!! I applied for jobs out there when we were visiting last year and if I had had a visa then I would have got one. I wish my mother had the same attitude as yours, its getting a bit emotional now.
Go for it! Its going to be great!!
Diana
Hi Diana good luck with your move i hope your mum comes round to your way of thinking, my mum and dad are really great about our move they have both been very ill in the past with cancer and they think life is to short i have 3 younger sisters who all still live a short distance from them which makes things easier i don't feel like i am abandoning them some times you have to do whats best for you any way good luck Janet
Old Sep 1st 2005, 4:21 pm
Honeybun

Honeybun will become famous soon enoughHoneybun will become famous soon enough

Hi Janet. I am emigrating hopefully very soon when my house is sold. I am just(yesterday) 62, on my own , (ex husband died some years ago)and my son also lives in Sydney with his wife and 4 children( one of his own and 3 step) His first wife lives in Perth with my granddaughter.My only other child lives near me, not attached, and he will follow me out there when I have settled in.
I am also going on the contributory parent visa, but it's worth doing to speed up the process. I decided to make a complete clean break :scared: , as my son in Sydney is very sure that I will not want to go back. I agree. I have done accounts all my life, but recently became a carer for adults with learning disabilities and love it, so hope to pursue that down under, just on a part time basis.Or may try something else. My hobbies are varied, but include amateur theatricals, so feel that I should be able to start up a social life pretty easily. I am actually going to rent, and will start off, after an initial visit to Sydney, in Perth. I don't think age has anything to do with it, just your attitude to life and challenges. Be lucky! Suzanne

Good luck Suzanne, I am in exactly the same position, 62 this month and by myself. Am going to Perth on a contributory parent visa to be with son and grand-daughters. I want to spend some time with them, so taking the bull by the horns, spending lots of money to do this, but if not, would I see them very often? Son lives in Perth, and daughter, also not attached, will follow once I am settled. She will probably have to get in on a "last remaining relative" visa, as she is now too "old" to get a working visa. Have been trying to sell house since Easter, as will need the money to buy out there, government pension from UK not being enough to live on. Houseing market very slow, and people want perfection for very little money. I am really looking forward to the change and must make the best of it. We only have one chance in this lifetime and I dont want to regret not taking it, further on down the line. Lets face it, we just want to live!

Good luck and if you want support, I am at the end of the typewriter.

Honeybun
Old Sep 1st 2005, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

suzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant future

Hi Honeybun! Gosh we must be twins!!!!Where do you live now? Anywhere near Northampton? There is a meet on Saturday. We have so much in common. I have a problem at the moment, because I am trying to pay the second part of the VAC on my credit card, which has ample of credit limit, and a small credit balance, and they keep refusing Aus Immi and asking them to authorize it, as it is such a large amount! Tearing my hair out. Am not putting my humble little home on the market until I have the visa in my hot sticky little hands, but have to make my initial entry to Oz by end of March 2006.Good luck with your house sale, nightmare isn't it! I am going to rent in Perth. Keep in touch, Suzanne
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 10:12 am
Parent Contr.143

lened is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I'm emigrating to Perth soon I'm in my mid fifties and I'm on my own .My husband died last year so if you would like to meet up for a coffee I'd love to hear how your getting on I have a daughter and grandchildren in Perth but don't know anyone of my age .
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

suzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant future

Keep in touch either by email or through this site which is brilliant! When are you going? Have you a house to sell? You know 2 people already who will be in Perth, me and Honeybun!
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 3:58 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

my brother has lived in aus for some 8/9 years now, and NZ b4 that. we are in the middle of trying to get a visa, my sister has just started the process, and my younger brother will probably follow us too in a few years time.

our parents, aged 65+ are going to apply for PR if my sister and myself get into aus. i am sure they have their reservations (mum more than dad!!), but are really looking forward to it.

everyone on here has said go for it.........so you go for it

good luck
SB
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 5:01 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

You really aren't ever too old. My parents (mum 71, dad 66) moved out four years ago and now we're following them. They love their life there (they're in Berry NSW), the lovely mild weather, the scenery and the people. Best thing they ever did, so they tell me.
Old Sep 3rd 2005, 8:33 am
Parent Contr.143

lened is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Anyone Over 50

It's really nice to know there's other out there doing the same as me. My house has been on the market for 5 months and no buyers . Last year they were sold in a month in this area (Wirral) So my advice is don't wait too long before putting your house on the market . From what I can read on this site and Pomsinperth site so many people are being held up from moving because their house is still not sold. I'm renting to start with in Glen Forrest , the Hills area> I will definately keep in touch although it's a bit hectic at the moment . I've just changed from a Contributory Parent class 143 to a Contributory parent class 173 because my son-in law doesnt have two years tax invoices and so I've got no assurance of support and no other relatives earning so there's a bit of a problem and it means withdrawing and reapplying (more fees) but still . I've got my plane ticket for mid. October (medicals and police checks all done ) so I hope everything is settled by then . So I'm looking forward to talking to you and Honeybun . My name knickname is Ed by the way
Old Sep 3rd 2005, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Hi Ed
I am putting my house on the market in a couple of weeks. I am going on a contributory visa as well, its the 173 if that is temporary one. The reason being is that it gives me 2 years to pay the rest, but I may well pay it off when I sell my house. Have got some capital (not a lot)coming when I am 65. My son (jokingly) says that if I meet and marry an Aussie I wont have to pay it!! Haha, more chance of winning the lottery. :scared: The latest problem I am encoutering is that my creditcard company needs Aus Immi to authorize the amount they are asking for as it is large, and everyone is dragging their heels! Ah well THIS TOO, WILL PASS! We will laugh at this in years to come as we sit and watch the sun set over the Indian ocean, said to be the most spectacular sunset in the world, sipping a glass of something cool! Sigh! Suzanne
Old Sep 3rd 2005, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Paylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nice

Hi

We arrived in Perth nearly three weeks ago - I have retired aged 60 - and are here on a 410 retiree visa. We have visited yearly for the last five years.
Both sets of our parents are dead, but we have left four children aged 26-33 and three children-in-laws and three grandchildren behind.
It was a hard decision to leave and a hard parting at the time BUT since we are here for 3 weeks the prospect has improved tremendously - our daughter and son-in-law are coming to spend the new year with us and are submitting their visa applications and our eldest son has applied to join the WA police and will be bringing wife and out 3 grandchildren too!. It would seem they were all hanging on waiting to see if we really meant to go through with the emigration!
So far we have a wonderful time , not a holiday, just doing the daily things you do - shopping, gardening, paying tax, getting frustrated at red tape etc BUT LOVING IT.
Our advice , heard many times on here before is "do it now - sooner rather than later" and "You live to regret what you DONT do, not what you DO do"
Old Sep 3rd 2005, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BettyBoop
Hi,

Go for it!!!! As your mother said 'it's not a dress rehearsal'.
What have you got to lose? (except a shedload of cash)!!!!!

I am 46, and have recently re-qualified, hubby is 43. We have been trying to get into Oz for many years, and only managed to obtain a visa (3 WEEKS AGO) with a new visa brought out last year.

Take the bull by the horns, so to speak, you can always come back!!!

Best of luck

BB
Hello BB,

I was interested in you having come out on a new visa brought out last year. Can you tell me more.
We are already out here on an 457 Business Visa, but I would be very interested as we are around the same age group.

Whisky
Old Sep 3rd 2005, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paylia
Hi

We arrived in Perth nearly three weeks ago - I have retired aged 60 - and are here on a 410 retiree visa. We have visited yearly for the last five years.
Both sets of our parents are dead, but we have left four children aged 26-33 and three children-in-laws and three grandchildren behind.
It was a hard decision to leave and a hard parting at the time BUT since we are here for 3 weeks the prospect has improved tremendously - our daughter and son-in-law are coming to spend the new year with us and are submitting their visa applications and our eldest son has applied to join the WA police and will be bringing wife and out 3 grandchildren too!. It would seem they were all hanging on waiting to see if we really meant to go through with the emigration!
So far we have a wonderful time , not a holiday, just doing the daily things you do - shopping, gardening, paying tax, getting frustrated at red tape etc BUT LOVING IT.
Our advice , heard many times on here before is "do it now - sooner rather than later" and "You live to regret what you DONT do, not what you DO do"
Peter
Glad to hear you have finally arrived and are enjoying Perth.
Until this thread started I've often wondered if there are ANY other 45+55+60 BE members other than my hubby & I ,you and Grayling!
This thread has given me some hope that if we don't find the job to apply for RSMS visa it is still possible to go for an investor/retirement visa to enable us to move to OZ.
Hel-in-uk
Old Sep 4th 2005, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by helinuk
Peter
Glad to hear you have finally arrived and are enjoying Perth.
Until this thread started I've often wondered if there are ANY other 45+55+60 BE members other than my hubby & I ,you and Grayling!
This thread has given me some hope that if we don't find the job to apply for RSMS visa it is still possible to go for an investor/retirement visa to enable us to move to OZ.
Hel-in-uk
Well yes, here is another 50+ BE member, though I have lived in Australia a long time (19 years). It's nice to read a thread that is all about what this site is supposed to be about! Good luck to all new arrivals in Australia who have passed the 45 watershed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.