Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone offered positions on Gorgon Project?

Anyone offered positions on Gorgon Project?

Old Oct 18th 2009, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

kaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to all
Default Anyone offered positions on Gorgon Project?

As per title, is there any regular here on BritishExpats.com that have been offered a position for the Gorgon Project?

I have had a look at the websites of companies involved in the project, but none seems to have advertised for the post of civil engineer.

Agencies are not helpful either, a number of agencies that I have spoken to appears to me to discriminate against people from the UK, and saying that they are not interested if you don't have Australian work experience.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 7:29 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone offered positions on Gorgon Project?

Originally Posted by kaungchiau
As per title, is there any regular here on BritishExpats.com that have been offered a position for the Gorgon Project?

I have had a look at the websites of companies involved in the project, but none seems to have advertised for the post of civil engineer.

Agencies are not helpful either, a number of agencies that I have spoken to appears to me to discriminate against people from the UK, and saying that they are not interested if you don't have Australian work experience.
Well it is a hot air project (GAS) ie probably need local experience for that
Old Oct 18th 2009, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

jamiefrod will become famous soon enoughjamiefrod will become famous soon enough

I have found this with agencies, aparantly having WA work experience sets you apart from the rest of the world??!! I find the best thing to do is fill them with the same BS the feed to you. I've heard from some people in the know that after xmas is when it's going to kick off on the jobs front, and in a big way too
Old Oct 18th 2009, 9:14 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamiefrod
... having WA work experience sets you apart from the rest of the world??!!
Meaning either:
a) you proven that you can work in stinking heat and / or extreme isolation, or,
b) can't be bothered telling you more plainly that you are not wanted.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 9:21 am
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

I wouldn't bother going through agencies. Chevron are advertising positions on their website so why not apply direct. If agencies are only looking for Australians with LNG design experience then they have truly lost the plot. I may have said it before on another post but few Aussies have solid LNG plant design experience (unless they have worked overseas) because no LNG plants are designed in Australia. I am talking about the LNG trains, not utilities parts of the plant, and other infrastructure, because all that is done overseas as is the case for this project.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 9:32 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Why wait to stand in line with other job advertisement respondents? Show some initiative and sell YOU, NOW and beat the lowing crowd.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

If you have oil & gas experience and are in London then you may well get a chance to work on the Gorgon, KBR are designing the trains there. If you are planning on coming to Australia to work on the Gorgon, then good luck, not much of it is being done here, until KBR have designed it and the Thai/Japanese have built the trains there's only peripheral site works going on. Not much at all is being designed in Perth.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

my "boyfriend" (god im too old for that phrase) is working on Pluto and currrently being hunted down agencies to get him onto gorgon so they are def recruiting now. Word is (from him) that they are also lookin at 457 visas to fill the posts. read into it what you like
Old Oct 18th 2009, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WillBlack
Why wait to stand in line with other job advertisement respondents? Show some initiative and sell YOU, NOW and beat the lowing crowd.
HEAR HEAR!!! coming from someone whos significant other (is that a better phrase??) they are lookin for someone prepared to send a decent cv and letter! some of the crap he has been sent is embarrassin! if people cant be bothered to spell check and grammer check why on earth would they make it past the first stage when thousands of applicants are arrivin each day on the off chance of employment? and yes its thousands!!!! you gotta narrow it down some how and first to get chucked is those who think they dont need to submit a proper cv complete with grammer and spell check - some of them have been an embarrassment to mankind trust me! just cos you gonna be working with your hands doesnt mean that they looking for someone who cant take the time with application! competition is bloody tough so if you want it do it properly or dont bother
Old Oct 18th 2009, 8:53 pm
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

So how's your job searching coming along now that you've been on the ground a few weeks?
Old Oct 18th 2009, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Meaning either:
a) you proven that you can work in stinking heat and / or extreme isolation, or,
Yes, I suppose its a bit much to ask that Australian projects should employ Australians?
Old Oct 19th 2009, 12:24 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Technical Resources (an agency) are advertising a lot of O&G vacancies - including for Gorgon. They have always found me good work and were phoning me before I left the UK, so I had interviews lined up even before I arrived here.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

jamiefrod will become famous soon enoughjamiefrod will become famous soon enough

Meaning either:
probably b, but they should grow some balls and be honest
Old Oct 19th 2009, 1:12 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

Note to self,always spell check your grammer(sic),
Old Oct 19th 2009, 6:56 am
Banned

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Yes, I suppose its a bit much to ask that Australian projects should employ Australians?
Don't have to be an Australian citizen to work legally in Aus - just need to be a legal resident (eg 457 visa). An exception is those jobs requiring Commonwealth security clearance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.