Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone NOT ship furniture?

Anyone NOT ship furniture?

Old Jun 13th 2009, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone NOT ship furniture?

Hi there,

We're just in the process of packing up for the move to Perth (from Canada). Job's waiting, house has been sold.

We originally planned not to bring any furniture, just boxes and whatever suitcases on the plane. The vast majority of our furniture is 1) cheap IKEA and 2) old and worn out...so basically not worth the $$ to ship over. From our discussions with the shippers, our own container would have started at about $12,000 Cdn and we're going with a shared option for about $3,000.

I was wondering if anyone else went over with no furniture and what did it cost to outfit the house once there...and were there items you wished you had brought after all?
Old Jun 13th 2009, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

siamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone NOT ship furniture?

Originally Posted by Japonica
Hi there,

We're just in the process of packing up for the move to Perth (from Canada). Job's waiting, house has been sold.

We originally planned not to bring any furniture, just boxes and whatever suitcases on the plane. The vast majority of our furniture is 1) cheap IKEA and 2) old and worn out...so basically not worth the $$ to ship over. From our discussions with the shippers, our own container would have started at about $12,000 Cdn and we're going with a shared option for about $3,000.

I was wondering if anyone else went over with no furniture and what did it cost to outfit the house once there...and were there items you wished you had brought after all?
Hi there Japonica, there is an Ikea in perth and you will be able to kit yourself out there with no problems.... I cant speak for you in Canada, I sent everything from a 4 storey house in the UK over to Australia and I was pleased I did. Linen, crockery, cutlery, pot pans etc. It does cost a small fortune to start from afresh with good quality items but as you say if your belongings are old and need replacing then exciting times for you. Ikea Kitchen is cheap enought to replace all. Good luck and happy travels ss x
Old Jun 13th 2009, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! Yeah...most of our furniture isn't anything spectacular...TV cabinet...15 years old...dining room set...15 years old and looks it. It would be different if they were family heirlooms or something but seeing as the cabinet was about $200 and the dining room set about $500, then I can't see spending that much on a container to send them over.

But as we are shipping boxes, it is worth stocking up on housewares? Linens, pots and pans etc.?
Old Jun 13th 2009, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

I think lots of people came with just their cases. Have a search through old threads.

There are also furniture places that have start up packs with sofa, tv unit, bed etc for a couple of thousand $$ but Ikea is there so you'd have all they have to offer as well.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

siamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nice

Thanks! Yeah...most of our furniture isn't anything spectacular...TV cabinet...15 years old...dining room set...15 years old and looks it. It would be different if they were family heirlooms or something but seeing as the cabinet was about $200 and the dining room set about $500, then I can't see spending that much on a container to send them over.

But as we are shipping boxes, it is worth stocking up on housewares? Linens, pots and pans etc.?
Japonica,
For me I love my linen, therefore I brought everything over, I personally havent seen the quality of good french linen over there and its a top price (my opinion), I took my Le Creuset pots pans, table ware because it is expensive in Australia and I will never regret it, so if you prefer your own makes over there maybe consider it. You can obtain top of the range items in Australia but they mostly are imports and therefore pricey. I agree with you regarding your furniture, sure you can replace and there are some good furniture shops around and its like making a fresh start which is also exciting. Why not check on line, shops likehttp://www.target.com/ have bottom and medium range ..... Myers are also in Perth and they stock good quality items. K Mart also good and reasonable. Not having an idea what anything costs in Canada it is difficult to compare, but you could look on line. ss x
Old Jun 13th 2009, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by siamsusie
Japonica,
For me I love my linen, therefore I brought everything over, I personally havent seen the quality of good french linen over there and its a top price (my opinion), I took my Le Creuset pots pans, table ware because it is expensive in Australia and I will never regret it, so if you prefer your own makes over there maybe consider it. You can obtain top of the range items in Australia but they mostly are imports and therefore pricey. I agree with you regarding your furniture, sure you can replace and there are some good furniture shops around and its like making a fresh start which is also exciting. Why not check on line, shops likehttp://www.target.com/ have bottom and medium range ..... Myers are also in Perth and they stock good quality items. K Mart also good and reasonable. Not having an idea what anything costs in Canada it is difficult to compare, but you could look on line. ss x
Thanks Susie...I'll check out some of the online stores but I'm sure it'll work out. We have really no-frills tastes when it comes to furnishings and housewares so I'm sure we'll be okay...
Old Jun 14th 2009, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, we didnt bring any furniture with us just came with 2 suitcases of clothes and boxed up a lot of other stuff which has still stayed in the UK even though we have been in perth for 3 years now !

You really dont need anything other than clothes
Old Jun 14th 2009, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

lekkilizard is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

We arrived in January with 3 suitcases and hand luggage.

We did ship some bits and bobs especially saucepans, cutlery, utensils, books, toys , DVD's CD's and all that jazz.

Had a blast choosing new furniture for our new life. Didn't buy cheap either but there were some fab bargains to be had at Harvey Norman Osborne Park Perth. Furnished a 4 x 2 complete with all electricals for half the price it should have cost so shop around and barter especially for electricals. Sales guys/girls have a good margin to play with. Our outlay has been under $20,000 AU / £10,000 for everything including the necessary beer fridge and Patio gear. Shop wisely and you will be surprised what you can get.

Do have a friend who shipped the whole house contents and has not regretted it so it is swings and roundabouts.

Have fun shopping til you drop !!

Nicki