Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone NOT received their free money yet ???

Anyone NOT received their free money yet ???

Old Dec 19th 2008, 9:50 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Anyone NOT received their free money yet ???

Originally Posted by renth
I reckon those who didn't get it because they earn too much need to get a new accountant. Regardless of how much you earn the name of the game is engineering your income to come in under the family tax bar.
For some of us that's an awful lot of engineering! If you're just over the limit than that's understandable that something can be done.

But how would you be able to drop your income down $50,000? How about $75,000 or higher? Is that possible.... I doubt it unless you have a lot of losses somewhere.

Edited to add: even if we could salarify sacrifice or mortgage payments it still wouldn't get us low enough.

Last edited by comet555; Dec 19th 2008 at 10:11 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 9:57 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
For some of us that's an awful lot of engineering! If you're just over the limit than that's understandable that something can be done.

But how would you be able to drop your income down $50,000? How about $75,000 or higher? Is that possible.... I doubt it unless you have a lot of losses somewhere.

The only way we could do it is if we could salary sacrifice our mortgage payments which is just not possible.
Dunno, I'm not an accountant but it's amazing how many ultra rich people if they ever go to court or are sued manage to be skint or able to have their legal fees paid.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 10:12 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Dunno, I'm not an accountant but it's amazing how many ultra rich people if they ever go to court or are sued manage to be skint or able to have their legal fees paid.
True enough, but for most people it's probably not possible to adjust their income so that on paper they lose up to half of it.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 12:22 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by comet555

Edited to add: even if we could salarify sacrifice or mortgage payments it still wouldn't get us low enough.
FTB part A stops totally when a family with one child under 17, earns $100,801 or more. (Or $160,150 with 6 kids)
I know some accountants that could get almost anyones income down sufficiently, but at $500 ph, it may not be worth it

I think this $1,000 could have been done differently.
It doesn't seem fair that a family on $40,000 gets the same as a family on $100,000.

But then, the aim of this was to spend it all quickly, and boost the economy, so then I ask: why bother paying anyone these $1,000 payments next July ?
It will be too late.

Actually "Losses", mentioned above, do not reduce income for 'Centrelink' purposes, it actually increases your taxable income for 'their' calculations.

Old Dec 20th 2008, 12:26 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
FTB part A stops totally when a family with one child under 17, earns $100,801 or more. (Or $160,150 with 6 kids)
I know some accountants that could get almost anyones income down sufficiently, but at $500 ph, it may not be worth it

I think this $1,000 could have been done differently.
It doesn't seem fair that a family on $40,000 gets the same as a family on $100,000.

But then, the aim of this was to spend it all quickly, and boost the economy, so then I ask: why bother paying anyone these $1,000 payments next July ?
It will be too late.

Actually "Losses", mentioned above, do not reduce income for 'Centrelink' purposes, it actually increases your taxable income for 'their' calculations.
Absalutely - my salary sacrificing "benefit" massively impacted on our joint income in relation to centrelink payments to the tune of $16,000 - great way to retain staff who work in public sector hospitals!
Old Dec 20th 2008, 12:35 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

A difference is if you are self employed or fully employed. I would expect, if a contractor or a own business person, for my accountant to keep my personal income low enough - not to get the $1000 but for various other reasons.

I was landed with the money, I think its a really nice feel good thing. I do agree though that fully employed people with or without kids should get a look in. Except if you smoke ......

Vivienne
p.s. I was a smoker for most of my life, but am enjoying the moment where I can say that.

Last edited by viviennef; Dec 20th 2008 at 12:40 am.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 1:09 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by sme
Absalutely - my salary sacrificing "benefit" massively impacted on our joint income in relation to centrelink payments to the tune of $16,000 - great way to retain staff who work in public sector hospitals!
But at least you do get the main Tax Benefit, that most of us can't get

The public sector hospital staff do get some excellent salary sacrificing benefits like that.

Old Dec 20th 2008, 4:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
Yeah I havent got anything, after all why should full time working people get something.
I mean just because we work our nuts off all the time working all day everyday, lets give it to the lazy part time or no work buggers, or give it to someone because they have popped a few kids out. They chose to have the kids, why should they get a reward for it, it simply makes no sense to me.
Husband works his nuts off all the time working all day everyday, I work part time because we have children and we feel I should be around for them. We are still under the threshold and so have received the payout. Get arsey about not getting it but don't make crap generalisations about people you know sweet F A about.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 5:52 am
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiek
we missed it by 10 days
Hang on, I thought it was for citizens only?
Old Dec 20th 2008, 6:17 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Husband works his nuts off all the time working all day everyday, I work part time because we have children and we feel I should be around for them. We are still under the threshold and so have received the payout. Get arsey about not getting it but don't make crap generalisations about people you know sweet F A about.
Well said! I work full time too and OH works and we pull in nowhere near $100,000 and as for people earning $100,000+ moaning cos they aren't getting anything grrrr
Old Dec 20th 2008, 6:22 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by welshviking
Hang on, I thought it was for citizens only?
and for Permanent Residents.

Old Dec 20th 2008, 10:17 am
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon those who didn't get it because they earn too much need to get a new accountant. Regardless of how much you earn the name of the game is engineering your income to come in under the family tax bar.
So in other words those of us who play a straightbat, pay our dues etc should be "penalised"? It is a great system that basically encourages everyone to "distort" their incomes to get a $1000 per child this year and child benefit most years. So with all the cash being given away by the government now + all the tax cash they are missing out on because of this annual "deception" what should the annual surplus (until Rudd and co blow it) really be and what could be done with it?
Oh, and in reply to someones comment about being just below the threshold...... yes we all work hard but I wouldn't say I earn a massive amount for the job and responsibility that I have. I'd say I'm more middle income, so luckier than some. I've just worked 96hrs over 8 days, and doing 84hrs over 7 days next week, including Christmas Day, so it will be Christmas Day on Dec 30th in our house. But then I will pay the extra tax on my Christmas Day shift penalty, get paid a bit extra and no doubt it will put me above the threshold again next year so no child benefit again. Nice.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

We didnt get ours ! John went to centrelink today and was told they are still going to make payments in January.

Nicky
Old Dec 20th 2008, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
We didnt get ours ! John went to centrelink today and was told they are still going to make payments in January.

Nicky
You did'nt get it because they knew you would spend it down the boat

Di
Old Dec 20th 2008, 9:24 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LAM
We claimed our child support back at the end of the financial year and we said we would claim it again at the end of the next one. So I think we should receive it in about June, I hope!
Thats what i was told by centrelink when i phoned them on Friday

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.