Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

"Anyone not going to Aus because of the high cost of living and the cr@p exchange rat

"Anyone not going to Aus because of the high cost of living and the cr@p exchange rat

Old Apr 1st 2011, 6:17 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Anyone not going to Aus because of the high cost of living and the cr@p exchange

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Go high-tech. Make the things they themselves can't make.

It works for Germany and Japan.

The UK education system is not up to it yet (not enough engineering/science, too much arts) but they could make it so.
Worked brilliantly for Japan during the 'lost decade'...
Old Apr 1st 2011, 6:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Anyone not going to Aus because of the high cost of living and the cr@p exchange

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Worked brilliantly for Japan during the 'lost decade'...
They still make so much (40% of the world's electronic components), which employs millions of people - and it's 'real' jobs, high-tech jobs. They build ships, the biggest diesel engines in the world, an insane amount of vehicles, robotics etc. They are innovative.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

They still make so much (40% of the world's electronic components), which employs millions of people - and it's 'real' jobs, high-tech jobs. They build ships, the biggest diesel engines in the world, an insane amount of vehicles, robotics etc. They are innovative.
The UK in comparison "value adds" (I think that was how Mr Blair once described it) . . . whatever the **** that means . . .
Old Apr 1st 2011, 6:32 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

The UK & Japan economies have a virtually identical services / industry / agriculture split.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 6:32 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
The UK in comparison "value adds" (I think that was how Mr Blair once described it) . . . whatever the **** that means . . .
Since WW2, the decline in UK manufacturing compared to the rise in Japanese manufacturing is brutally stark.

Who won?
Old Apr 1st 2011, 6:33 am

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

They can be as innovative as they like but it still hasn't dragged them out of decades of deflation. They have huge government debt (prior to the recent earthquake) of 200% to GDP and an aging population. Just one point - the shipbuilding industry is suffering from massive overcapacity and isn't currently very profitable.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 6:36 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

They can be as innovative as they like but it still hasn't dragged them out of decades of deflation. They have huge government debt (prior to the recent earthquake) of 200% to GDP and an aging population. Just one point - the shipbuilding industry is suffering from massive overcapacity and isn't currently very profitable.
This doesn't seem to matter as long as people have 'real' jobs. It reminds me of my trip to Vietnam, just a little bit commie!
Old Apr 1st 2011, 6:38 am
Proudly Deplorable

What's your solution for the UK then? Or are you happy with the way it is?

I'm sticking up for the UK in this thread - even though it's not my country and I have no intention of living there again. I want to see them being successful - but as it stands, they have no chance.

Over to you
Old Apr 1st 2011, 6:38 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by bcworld
This doesn't seem to matter as long as people have 'real' jobs. It reminds me of my trip to Vietnam, just a little bit commie!
See post #98

Your solution?
Old Apr 1st 2011, 6:43 am
Proudly Deplorable

I design systems that use a lot (and I mean a lot) of electrical equipment that comes from all over the world. Stuff that comes from Germany, France, Sweden, Finland, Spain, USA, Brazil, Japan, Korea, China, Thailand, Singapore, Australia - plus others. I'm racking my brain, but I can't think of anything that comes from the UK - and I'm being serious.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 6:46 am
Frequent Flyer Member

See post #98

Your solution?
The pubic finances need to be put in order. The composition of the economy doesn't necessarily need to change, I don't believe it is as unusual as you seem to. All of these countries: UK, Germany, Japan, Australia - have dominant paper pushing service sectors that make up between 70-80% of their economies. I think there is more high-tech manufacturing in the UK than you give it credit for. The financial services industry isn't going anywhere.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 6:52 am

What's your solution for the UK then? Or are you happy with the way it is?

I'm sticking up for the UK in this thread - even though it's not my country and I have no intention of living there again. I want to see them being successful - but as it stands, they have no chance.

Over to you
You don't appear to be sticking up for the UK other than offering some appreciation of a much maligned ex Prime Minister. Recovery will be slow and dependent on recovery in close bilateral markets in Europe and the US, R&D and a return to lending by the banks - inevitable as bad debts are removed from balance sheets as time goes on. Boom, bust has been the economic cycle for at least a century and it will continue this way - it's human nature.

Personally I suspect the whole world economic model is pretty screwed longer term, there is only a matter of time until the Chinese property bubble pops and with the increase in overpopulation globally together with unsustainable lifestyles will make things pretty unpleasant for future generations.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
The pubic finances need to be put in order. The composition of the economy doesn't necessarily need to change, I don't believe it is as unusual as you seem to. All of these countries: UK, Germany, Japan, Australia - have dominant paper pushing service sectors that make up between 70-80% of their economies. I think there is more high-tech manufacturing in the UK than you give it credit for. The financial services industry isn't going anywhere.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
I blame Bush
Old Apr 1st 2011, 6:55 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
Gold!

Friggen iPhone!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.