Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone from Northern Ireland immigrating to Oz?

Anyone from Northern Ireland immigrating to Oz?

Old Apr 29th 2012, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

GilraenH has a spectacular aura aboutGilraenH has a spectacular aura aboutGilraenH has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Anyone from Northern Ireland immigrating to Oz?

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Pickfords for us, we didn't have a choice as the OH's employers paid for it. They broke 2 of our chest of drawers, brand new too, price in UK - 74 quid, price in Oz $299, so we'd a battle on our hands to get them to cough up! Ikea here is expensive, but since we'd bought the bed in the same range meanwhile, before our stuff arrived, we wanted the matching COD....NIGHTMARE! lol
Thank you! Though sounds awful. Did it take long to get to you?
Old Apr 29th 2012, 9:57 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GilraenH
Thank you! Though sounds awful. Did it take long to get to you?
Left us beginning of Jan, arrived St Paddy's Day! lol
Old Apr 29th 2012, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

elect42 is on a distinguished road

Who did you all use to ship to oz with?
We used Mc Gimpseys, had quite a few quotes but they were the best quote more friendlier with also the professional touch.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

GilraenH has a spectacular aura aboutGilraenH has a spectacular aura aboutGilraenH has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by elect42
We used Mc Gimpseys, had quite a few quotes but they were the best quote more friendlier with also the professional touch.

Thank you, they were very friendly when we met them too.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 8:56 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, they were very friendly when we met them too.
All of these companies are lovely til something goes wrong, then the real battle begins! GRRR LOL
Old May 30th 2012, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

ajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant future

Just want to wish elect42 and family, good luck and best wishes for their journey (3rd June) and new life in Oz
Old Jul 6th 2012, 11:39 am
Adventure sorted

Location: Norn Iron ... Brisbane, and now off to Melbourne East
Hoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
All of these companies are lovely til something goes wrong, then the real battle begins! GRRR LOL
Yip agreed!

We used McGimpseys for the same reason.
Our stuff arrived something crazy like twice that they estimated.
And yes we had plenty of minor damage to furniture . .not even worth the hassle claiming.

They were very unpleasant in their communications once we arrived in OZ.

But like estate agents, lawyers, double glazing sales men, lol I'm sure they are not all the same.

Good Luck! PS: we are going home for our 1st holiday in 2.5yrs this xmas, to sunny Belfast
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Desertwombat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, joined the forum a while back but not posted much. We (me, my wife and 20m old son) submitted our visas at the begining of June. Were from Bangor N.I. and thought we would say hi to everyone.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

H Desert wombat, good luck with visa process, its long & drawn out! We're from Bangor too! Been in Oz on the Sunshine Coast nearly 4 years now. Was back in Bangor last October & then January this year, my! Has it changed! Where are you thinking of heading tio in Australia?

Lynn xx
Old Jul 27th 2012, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

Hey, we originally wanted to go to Melbourne but the reality is that we will go wherever I can get a permenant job. Thought I had one sorted on a business visa in Mackay but fell through at the last minute which was a little disheartening. So the search continues.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 10:18 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Welcome Desert Wombat! I too am from NI, lived in Australia for almost 2.5 years, originally from Lisburn many moons ago, and just before we left I taught in Ards! You will love it here, I was back in NI in March for the first time, and found myself getting homesick for here! Keep us posted along the way, and if there's anything we can do to help you out, give us a shout! Jx
Old Aug 19th 2012, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Hi Lynn & Jen,

Thanks for the kind welcome to the forum. Just a quick update we received an email on 16/08/2012 allocating us with a case officer and requesting medicals and police checks. So hopefully not long now.

Focusing for now on finding a job in Melbourne - so if any one needs an accountant - give me a shout.

How all is well with everyone.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

Happy Days, shouldn't be too long now for you Good luck with the move. Once you get that visa you just want to jump on a plane!

Lynn xx
Old Aug 21st 2012, 6:28 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Desertwombat
Hi Lynn & Jen,

Thanks for the kind welcome to the forum. Just a quick update we received an email on 16/08/2012 allocating us with a case officer and requesting medicals and police checks. So hopefully not long now.

Focusing for now on finding a job in Melbourne - so if any one needs an accountant - give me a shout.

How all is well with everyone.
Brilliant stuff!
Old Oct 13th 2012, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

ajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Desertwombat
Hi all, joined the forum a while back but not posted much. We (me, my wife and 20m old son) submitted our visas at the begining of June. Were from Bangor N.I. and thought we would say hi to everyone.
Hi desertwombat

Havent been on here since july, welcome to the thread. We (us 2 and r 2 daughters) are also from Bangor NI, just moved to Melbourne been here 6 weeks. My husband has been lucky to get two job offers and starts this week, he was working as a temporary contractor since we arrived.

Trying to secure a rental at the minute, not as easy as I thought!!

Good luck with your visa

Andrea

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.