Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone from Northern Ireland immigrating to Oz?

Anyone from Northern Ireland immigrating to Oz?

Old Apr 2nd 2012, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

ajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant future
Default Re: Anyone from Northern Ireland immigrating to Oz?

Hi all

Thanks for the congrats xx

Had a few quotes for shipping ranging from £3700 - £4400, the cheapest one was with packing ourselves, so look like we better get started!

Although I thought i knew all the costs involved in the move, im still shocked everything is getting more expensive, ah well it gotta be paid so no point moaning about it
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Shaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to all

Sure it's all worth it....when it gets to the other end it's like Christmas all over again!! x
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

elect42 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ajmonty
Hi all

Thanks for the congrats xx

Had a few quotes for shipping ranging from £3700 - £4400, the cheapest one was with packing ourselves, so look like we better get started!

Although I thought i knew all the costs involved in the move, im still shocked everything is getting more expensive, ah well it gotta be paid so no point moaning about it
Our boat goes out this month, we got quoted 4k with total loss insurance we pack small stuff with everything provided they pack everything else, didnt take out the other insurance for breakables as its highly unlikely alot can be broke, I take chances lol it also saves quite a few pounds.

Flight in June booked our luggage right through from belfast to perth 40kgs each at no cost, didnt want to take all off to load it all again at Heathrow. Im hoping boat will arrive second week into our arrival.
Rentals are hard to get in Perth my mates say it not easy getting the area you want some people start to bid on them and forking up 6 months rent in advance, crazy times ahead and especially trying to make sure our kids settle and adapt sooner than later.

Its going to be a great adventure.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

ajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by elect42
Our boat goes out this month, we got quoted 4k with total loss insurance we pack small stuff with everything provided they pack everything else, didnt take out the other insurance for breakables as its highly unlikely alot can be broke, I take chances lol it also saves quite a few pounds.

Flight in June booked our luggage right through from belfast to perth 40kgs each at no cost, didnt want to take all off to load it all again at Heathrow. Im hoping boat will arrive second week into our arrival.
Rentals are hard to get in Perth my mates say it not easy getting the area you want some people start to bid on them and forking up 6 months rent in advance, crazy times ahead and especially trying to make sure our kids settle and adapt sooner than later.

Its going to be a great adventure.
Hi elect

Was wondering if you were already away. Fights booked,very exciting

Who are you flying with? Had heard about 40kg allowance but not sure if belfast flight would be ok with it?

I agree its a great adventure
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 3:39 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Currently at George Best City Airport, I've packed the good weather in my suitcase and I'm taking it with me, sorry lol
Old Apr 4th 2012, 8:31 pm
Adventure sorted

Location: Norn Iron ... Brisbane, and now off to Melbourne East
Hoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant future

ahhh - change in plans

I accepted a different promotion and we are of to live in Melbourne East by mid May.

Heading down all exp paid next week, for orientation. It'll be a bit cooler than Brisvegas . . . hurray!! lol

Im also selling our second car a Getz, as we hope not to need it . .if anyone knows anyone that is interested. Its been a great reliable wee one . . which took a while to find here, among the overpriced rubbish . . lol

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...spx?R=12393918
Old Apr 6th 2012, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ajmonty
Hi elect

Was wondering if you were already away. Fights booked,very exciting

Who are you flying with? Had heard about 40kg allowance but not sure if belfast flight would be ok with it?

I agree its a great adventure
Hey AJ

We are flying out with Singapore airlines. Yes I have read many conflicting threads about the 40kgs issue from Belfast. This is the way I did it.

I used skyscanner for flights using Singapore arlines they allow with a few others but singapore was cheapest for 40kgs.
I phoned them with the issue from flying belfast to heathrow, they told me that as long it was stamped on our flight tickets this should be fine with the other airline.
So I phoned the other airline BMI and they said as long its booked through Singapore airlines this should be fine but maybe best to book through a travel agent as they get this verified and stamped on tickets, plus they can if requested get your luggage put straight through.
So I checked for cheapest flight everywhere and approached a couple of travel agents to see if they could match it and one did.
On our tickets which we have yoooohhoooo:thumbsup : LOL
gives our flight times, shows we are on a MIGRANT VISA (mention this also to booking travel agents cheaper flight) and 40 kgs per person, 10 kgs for our 20 month son.
Airlines have an agreement if booked through the company that allocates it.

Hope this helps worth it as we will be living out of our suitcases for 5 weeks, so on 26th April our adventure starts boat goes out.
Kicking off in style 3rd June flight time.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 10:44 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Hey AJ

We are flying out with Singapore airlines. Yes I have read many conflicting threads about the 40kgs issue from Belfast. This is the way I did it.

I used skyscanner for flights using Singapore arlines they allow with a few others but singapore was cheapest for 40kgs.
I phoned them with the issue from flying belfast to heathrow, they told me that as long it was stamped on our flight tickets this should be fine with the other airline.
So I phoned the other airline BMI and they said as long its booked through Singapore airlines this should be fine but maybe best to book through a travel agent as they get this verified and stamped on tickets, plus they can if requested get your luggage put straight through.
So I checked for cheapest flight everywhere and approached a couple of travel agents to see if they could match it and one did.
gives our flight times, shows we are on a MIGRANT VISA (mention this also to booking travel agents cheaper flight) and 40 kgs per person, 10 kgs for our 20 month son.

Hope this helps worth it as we will be living out of our suitcases for 5 weeks, so on 26th April our adventure starts boat goes out.
We too were meant to have a decent luggage allowance the whole way through but got charged excess baggage leaving Belfast, even though we tried to explain we got nowhere, gits! lol

Oh and that was with Qantas, Business class too!
Old Apr 6th 2012, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
We too were meant to have a decent luggage allowance the whole way through but got charged excess baggage leaving Belfast, even though we tried to explain we got nowhere, gits! lol

Oh and that was with Qantas, Business class too!
Hi Jen did you have your luggage booked straight through and have it stamped 40kgs allowance on tickets by airline?

Ill kick a stink lol if there is an issue when we arrive and try to charge us. Which would be quite a wallet opener as we are going to use max allowed lol

I think the key is not to book seperate flights which many have been doing, but book a package from the airline itself that allocates the allowance. That way I dont think it could be an issue as both airlines say get it on tickets to verify.

Ours is straight through from belfast

Time will tell
Old Apr 6th 2012, 1:30 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Hi Jen did you have your luggage booked straight through and have it stamped 40kgs allowance on tickets by airline?

Ill kick a stink lol if there is an issue when we arrive and try to charge us. Which would be quite a wallet opener as we are going to use max allowed lol

I think the key is not to book seperate flights which many have been doing, but book a package from the airline itself that allocates the allowance. That way I dont think it could be an issue as both airlines say get it on tickets to verify.

Ours is straight through from belfast

Time will tell
The ADF booked it as a package I'm afraid...
Old Apr 7th 2012, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Hey AJ

Hi Elect

Thanks for the info, my stomach doing somersaults reading your post, all finally happening for you, very exciting
Old Apr 27th 2012, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

This is how it goes now, house contents all gone, packed up the guys were ace in filling our container. A message to all, shipping contents DO NOT TRY yourselves as after seeing how they did it u haven’t a chance you’ll maybe need two containers or dam good breakable insurance lol. I am in the building trade electrical contractor and wouldn’t tackle this.
Basically what happens we packed all small stuff which the shipping company provides boxes, paper and good sticky tape etc... if more needed which we did just ask, you get, pretty good setup.
We got most things packed, everything out of the kitchen cupboards, clothes, toys, books, office stuff, computers etc... but some small stuff like training weights, my tools, general some stuff that was to us inappropriate to pack we left to the professionals.
They came in four guys and stormed the house very professional and really dead on.
They packed our house in a day with a bit of our help but they were quite happy to do it themselves. We were advised to dismantle some wardrobes on the survey which we didn’t as knew we could do if need on the day, but on the day the packing guys said hold off as if needed they would do it nice one, we ended up not dismantling any wardrobes. Actually they acted as storage for various items which was good for space.
We know that Australia has a lot of built in wardrobes but trying to sell anything here won’t happen unless it’s a bargain, so we took with us, maybe better buyers in OZ in required.

Well anything that did need dismantled they put in little sticky plastic bags stuck to whatever was dismantled and all taped together.
That’s our container heading off out to sea tomorrow we are starting to get excited now, many saying that we didnt seem concerned, but how can someone really when the process has been over nearly 18 months. BUT WE ARE NOW
We are living with pure minimum we kept our mattresses so sleeping rather close to the floor nice when my 2 year comes running in no climbing in the morning lol.
First nite after everything was gone we were all in our main bedroom as nothing else left in the house all gone lying on the bed ipods out, iphones anything trying to amuse us till sleep time lol. Talk about ever starting up Noooooooo.

Well now our stuff has gone since Tuesday its now Friday and we have managed to get three TVs big backed ones lol old as the hills which our out of the local council restore and a suite of furniture all free, I’ll write them a letter thanking them helping a emigrating family which we will also be returning items, (funny as actually when our house was being packed some residences in our development near broke they’re necks never mind bringing in unwanted goods lol ) who cares when we are going to the land of OZ
So all in all us our living quite basic as starting up but excited and the kids like to use the rooms as football courts. If they are happy like this I can’t wait to we get to Australia Perth.

Well I can’t exciting exciting and well more exicting times ahead.

About 4 weeks here we come OZ flight time more fun
Old Apr 28th 2012, 4:48 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

This is how it goes now, house contents all gone, packed up the guys were ace in filling our container. A message to all, shipping contents DO NOT TRY yourselves as after seeing how they did it u haven’t a chance you’ll maybe need two containers or dam good breakable insurance lol. I am in the building trade electrical contractor and wouldn’t tackle this.
Basically what happens we packed all small stuff which the shipping company provides boxes, paper and good sticky tape etc... if more needed which we did just ask, you get, pretty good setup.
We got most things packed, everything out of the kitchen cupboards, clothes, toys, books, office stuff, computers etc... but some small stuff like training weights, my tools, general some stuff that was to us inappropriate to pack we left to the professionals.
They came in four guys and stormed the house very professional and really dead on.
They packed our house in a day with a bit of our help but they were quite happy to do it themselves. We were advised to dismantle some wardrobes on the survey which we didn’t as knew we could do if need on the day, but on the day the packing guys said hold off as if needed they would do it nice one, we ended up not dismantling any wardrobes. Actually they acted as storage for various items which was good for space.
We know that Australia has a lot of built in wardrobes but trying to sell anything here won’t happen unless it’s a bargain, so we took with us, maybe better buyers in OZ in required.

Well anything that did need dismantled they put in little sticky plastic bags stuck to whatever was dismantled and all taped together.
That’s our container heading off out to sea tomorrow we are starting to get excited now, many saying that we didnt seem concerned, but how can someone really when the process has been over nearly 18 months. BUT WE ARE NOW
We are living with pure minimum we kept our mattresses so sleeping rather close to the floor nice when my 2 year comes running in no climbing in the morning lol.
First nite after everything was gone we were all in our main bedroom as nothing else left in the house all gone lying on the bed ipods out, iphones anything trying to amuse us till sleep time lol. Talk about ever starting up Noooooooo.

Well now our stuff has gone since Tuesday its now Friday and we have managed to get three TVs big backed ones lol old as the hills which our out of the local council restore and a suite of furniture all free, I’ll write them a letter thanking them helping a emigrating family which we will also be returning items, (funny as actually when our house was being packed some residences in our development near broke they’re necks never mind bringing in unwanted goods lol ) who cares when we are going to the land of OZ
So all in all us our living quite basic as starting up but excited and the kids like to use the rooms as football courts. If they are happy like this I can’t wait to we get to Australia Perth.

Well I can’t exciting exciting and well more exicting times ahead.

About 4 weeks here we come OZ flight time more fun
Ooooo I remember it well, everything gone, two cardboard boxes stacked into each other as our 'coffee table', two camping chairs, a borrowed old tele and a borrowed bed settee for upstairs. We then kept all of our chilled foods in the downstairs loo because it was colder than an actual fridge would be, and borrowed a little chest freezer. Talk about basics! lol It was all cool though, as it was a means to an end...

I take it you intend to replace the mattresses here in Oz? Just in case you didn't know, beds are different sizes over here...
Old Apr 29th 2012, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

GilraenH has a spectacular aura aboutGilraenH has a spectacular aura aboutGilraenH has a spectacular aura about

Who did you all use to ship to oz with?
Old Apr 29th 2012, 7:04 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by GilraenH
Who did you all use to ship to oz with?
Pickfords for us, we didn't have a choice as the OH's employers paid for it. They broke 2 of our chest of drawers, brand new too, price in UK - 74 quid, price in Oz $299, so we'd a battle on our hands to get them to cough up! Ikea here is expensive, but since we'd bought the bed in the same range meanwhile, before our stuff arrived, we wanted the matching COD....NIGHTMARE! lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.