Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone new to Melbourne?

Anyone new to Melbourne?

Old Nov 5th 2004, 2:28 am
Annie

AnneDyson is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Anyone new to Melbourne?

Hi there! We've been in Melbourne about 4 weeks now - just moved into a rented house at Park Orchards and I wondered if any other newbies were nearby? Not really met anyone yet - on the school run the mums literally drop their kids and go and in a week I've not even seen anyone at the school to say hello to! Apart from shouting at my four year old twins I'm not getting much conversation! Sounds like a terrible sob story doesn't it!!! Anyway thought it was worth checking out if anyone was in the location!

Bye for now
Anne
Old Nov 5th 2004, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

Smudgo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone new to Melbourne?

Originally Posted by AnneDyson
Hi there! We've been in Melbourne about 4 weeks now - just moved into a rented house at Park Orchards and I wondered if any other newbies were nearby? Not really met anyone yet - on the school run the mums literally drop their kids and go and in a week I've not even seen anyone at the school to say hello to! Apart from shouting at my four year old twins I'm not getting much conversation! Sounds like a terrible sob story doesn't it!!! Anyway thought it was worth checking out if anyone was in the location!

Bye for now
Anne
Hi Anne

Have you tried advertising on Brit Vics site as well ? http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...hp?showforum=1

I am aware that there is a BBQ at Cardinia Dam on 20th November @ 2pm being organised by Bordy (http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...topic=38&st=15 see page 2), I am sure if you went there you would meet a few ex pats maybe some in your area

Cheers

Smudgo

ta
Smudgo
Old Nov 5th 2004, 2:51 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Bye for now
Anne

Theres a meet up of Ex Pats at Cardinia Dam on 20th Nov if your interested.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 4:18 am
Annie

Originally Posted by Bordy
Theres a meet up of Ex Pats at Cardinia Dam on 20th Nov if your interested.
Hi! That sounds good - where is Cardinia Dam then? Is it somewhere we should know?!?! I'm guessing it's a bring the kids day too is it?!? I'd actually quite like not to bring them but I'm afraid where we go they have to go too at the moment.

Thanks
Anne
Old Nov 5th 2004, 6:50 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Hi! That sounds good - where is Cardinia Dam then? Is it somewhere we should know?!?! I'm guessing it's a bring the kids day too is it?!? I'd actually quite like not to bring them but I'm afraid where we go they have to go too at the moment.

Thanks
Anne
Hi Anne

We have been here 3 months, so are also relative newbies. Fun, innit?!

If you enjoy 'grown up' company, you may be interested to know that we had a Melbourne Women's Drinking Night out a few weeks back. There will deffo be another one sometime, so keep checking this & the BritVics site.

Loads of us are going to the Cardinia Dam BBQ/meet-up, so maybe we'll see you there. I'm hoping someone will post a Melways ref, but I guess I could always search for the original thread about it.

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 7:49 am
Annie

Thanks Anya - we'll go to the BBQ although I haven't tried to find it yet on the Melway - might have a look in a minute.

Ta.
Anne

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Hi Anne

We have been here 3 months, so are also relative newbies. Fun, innit?!

If you enjoy 'grown up' company, you may be interested to know that we had a Melbourne Women's Drinking Night out a few weeks back. There will deffo be another one sometime, so keep checking this & the BritVics site.

Loads of us are going to the Cardinia Dam BBQ/meet-up, so maybe we'll see you there. I'm hoping someone will post a Melways ref, but I guess I could always search for the original thread about it.

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Anya - we'll go to the BBQ although I haven't tried to find it yet on the Melway - might have a look in a minute.

Ta.
Anne
http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1park_display.cfm?park=88

Meant to add that it says this on the website: The Park is only 45 km from Melbourne, situated on Duffy's Road, off Wellington Road at Narre Warren East (Melway ref: 126 C11).

OzTennis

Last edited by OzTennis; Nov 5th 2004 at 9:06 am.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 8:52 am
Annie

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Oh thanks! Looks great. Will definitely join everyone. If there are kangas my boys will love it!
Anne
Old Nov 5th 2004, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

caz41 will become famous soon enough
Post Re: Anyone new to Melbourne?

Bye for now
Anne
Hi Anne,

Just a quick question, hoping to be in Melbourne in early december, and Park Orchards is one of the areas that we have been looking at, how are you finding it? Are the schools good. Any info would be great.

Caz
Old Nov 5th 2004, 10:57 am
Annie

Hi Caz

Well, we've only been in POrchards for a week tomorrow so not a great deal to say yet! Our 8 year old has started at the Primary School and he seems happy this week anyway! We did a tour round the school and liked the atmosphere, the kids and the teachers. The area is very quiet and has quite a country village feel but seems to have everything you need in terms of little local shops, doctors etc and then the big shops aren't very far away. My husband works down near Albert Park and he's not found the travelling a problem this week. It was actually the house that brought us to the area - we wanted a big garden for the kids and were finding that the houses in our price range nearer the city just didn't have any gardens/pool. If you want any more info just ask and I'll PM you. How did you find Park Orchards? Have you been to Melbourne before? Hope that's of use - might be better to ask me again in a couple of weeks!!!

Regards
Anne

Originally Posted by caz41
Hi Anne,

Just a quick question, hoping to be in Melbourne in early december, and Park Orchards is one of the areas that we have been looking at, how are you finding it? Are the schools good. Any info would be great.

Caz
Old Nov 5th 2004, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

caz41 will become famous soon enough
Post Re: Anyone new to Melbourne?

Hi Caz

Well, we've only been in POrchards for a week tomorrow so not a great deal to say yet! Our 8 year old has started at the Primary School and he seems happy this week anyway! We did a tour round the school and liked the atmosphere, the kids and the teachers. The area is very quiet and has quite a country village feel but seems to have everything you need in terms of little local shops, doctors etc and then the big shops aren't very far away. My husband works down near Albert Park and he's not found the travelling a problem this week. It was actually the house that brought us to the area - we wanted a big garden for the kids and were finding that the houses in our price range nearer the city just didn't have any gardens/pool. If you want any more info just ask and I'll PM you. How did you find Park Orchards? Have you been to Melbourne before? Hope that's of use - might be better to ask me again in a couple of weeks!!!

Regards
Anne
Hi Anne,

thanks for that, never been unfortunately!!, so at the moment feeling a little aprehensive, my husband will be working in the CBD so not sure how long the journey will be. How old are the children and how are they coping I have three very nervous ones at the moment.

Caz
Old Nov 5th 2004, 11:11 am
Annie

Hi! I've got 3 boys - an 8 year old and 4 year old twins. The 8 year old is in an all boys class, just the way it's worked out - he's in with some quite older ones, he was 8 end of June and most of the kids are 9-10!!! He may stay back next year (ie January) but we'll just have to see. Obviously he's got friendships forming. I think the teachers are just trying to see what level he needs to be at and they'll review it. As usual, mums worry about it and he's not giving it a second thought. He seems to have enjoyed this week very much. The school got a couple of buddies for him to look after him and he's been fine. The twins aren't doing anything yet but they're no different from being in the UK - just as naughty!!! Seriously the boys think it's all a big adventure and seem very settled. It's me having the traumas really, not them! Despite any negative vibes you might be getting from me I have to say I'm so glad we came. There isn't anything that makes me want to go back to the UK just yet!

Hope that helps. How old are your children?

Anne

an
Originally Posted by caz41
Hi Anne,

thanks for that, never been unfortunately!!, so at the moment feeling a little aprehensive, my husband will be working in the CBD so not sure how long the journey will be. How old are the children and how are they coping I have three very nervous ones at the moment.

Caz
Old Nov 5th 2004, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to come in here but the area north of the Eastern Fwy which is now Doncaster, Doncaster East, Donvale, and Park Orchards used to be where a large number of apple orchards were. At one stage these areas were on the edge of the city and were out in the country. Starting with Doncaster and moving out towards Park Orchards a lot of the orchards were sold up and subdivided, often in larger blocks such as farmlets and generous sized building blocks, 2 or 3 to the acre. This is why you'll find bigger sized blocks and a country/village feel in Park Orchards.

Once the Eastern Fwy extension is completed beyond Springvale Rd a trip to the CBD or Albert Park should take no time. Indeed, even without the extension it won't take much time to get to the start of the Fwy via Park Rd etc. Probably the greatest time in peak hour will be the part getting from the city end of the Fwy to your destination or vice-versa!

(Good tennis club at Donvale so with that and trips to get apples at Petty's, I know the area quite well!) This might interest you both:

http://www.arts.monash.edu.au/ncas/m...korchards.html

OzTennis
Old Nov 5th 2004, 11:30 am
Annie

Don't apologise - it's interesting. I don't know anything about the area. There are still a fair number of trees around but I've not seen any real orchards yet! There's a lemon tree in our garden - does that count!?!

Jon goes down Park Rd and to the Eastern Fwy - he's leaving around 6.45am and getting in the office for 7.30am. He prefers to go early to miss any traffic - the main traffic though like you say is at the other end of the Fwy.

Think I need to learn to play tennis - there's a club in Park Orchards which seems quite busy. Donvale looks a nice place too. Anyway, I need to get off the computer and get to bed - Coles are delivering in the morning between 7.00am and 9.00am and it wouldn't surprise me if they arrive nearer 7.00 than 9.00!!!

Bye for now.
Anne

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Sorry to come in here but the area north of the Eastern Fwy which is now Doncaster, Doncaster East, Donvale, and Park Orchards used to be where a large number of apple orchards were. At one stage these areas were on the edge of the city and were out in the country. Starting with Doncaster and moving out towards Park Orchards a lot of the orchards were sold up and subdivided, often in larger blocks such as farmlets and generous sized building blocks, 2 or 3 to the acre. This is why you'll find bigger sized blocks and a country/village feel in Park Orchards.

Once the Eastern Fwy extension is completed beyond Springvale Rd a trip to the CBD or Albert Park should take no time. Indeed, even without the extension it won't take much time to get to the start of the Fwy via Park Rd etc. Probably the greatest time in peak hour will be the part getting from the city end of the Fwy to your destination or vice-versa!

(Good tennis club at Donvale so with that and trips to get apples at Petty's, I know the area quite well!) This might interest you both:

http://www.arts.monash.edu.au/ncas/m...korchards.html

OzTennis
Old Nov 5th 2004, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Don't apologise - it's interesting. I don't know anything about the area. There are still a fair number of trees around but I've not seen any real orchards yet! There's a lemon tree in our garden - does that count!?!

Jon goes down Park Rd and to the Eastern Fwy - he's leaving around 6.45am and getting in the office for 7.30am. He prefers to go early to miss any traffic - the main traffic though like you say is at the other end of the Fwy.

Think I need to learn to play tennis - there's a club in Park Orchards which seems quite busy. Donvale looks a nice place too. Anyway, I need to get off the computer and get to bed - Coles are delivering in the morning between 7.00am and 9.00am and it wouldn't surprise me if they arrive nearer 7.00 than 9.00!!!

Bye for now.
Anne
Yeah, I was wondering about the time 12.45 pm'ish in UK, 11.45 pm'ish in PO. I'm a Melburnian (Williamstown) living with Scottish wife in Scotland, going back to Melbourne in the near future, long story, too long for before bed. Hope Coles don't deliver too early!

45 mins house to office is pretty good considering PO is an outer suburb.

It was predominantly apples and other fruit, the lemon tree is certainly local to the area!

Donvale has one of the top tennis clubs in Victoria - they regularly have Men's and Ladies teams in State Grade which is the top level. I don't know much about Park Orchards TC but if it's thriving, like most clubs in Melbourne, it is bound to be good.

Try also:

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~fmesp/manning.htm

Is PO entirely in Manningham? I like their motto - Balance of City and Country.

http://www.manningham.vic.gov.au/

OzTennis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.