Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone new to Auckland or NZ in general?

Anyone new to Auckland or NZ in general?

Old Sep 26th 2004, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

ionaht is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone new to Auckland or NZ in general?

Hi folks, as you can see I'm a newbie on this here forum. So far it's just been brilliant reading everyone's posts.

I moved out to NZ (Auckland) 7 weeks ago and have been finding things quite tough. I was just wondering how other people are managing. I came out by myself and I don't have any family here. I thought I 'd meet people through work etc but I ended up in a nightmare situation where I had to resign from my job after 1 week (it's a long story but even the local Kiwi's can totally understand why I had to resign-in a nutshell, my employer's were less than honest about my job!!!). Luckily I've got a new job and I'm just waiting for my start date.

I'd love to hear any feedback and does anyone know if there are meetings or clubs I could join to meet other expats. It really helps just to have a little support when you are so far away from home.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 10:33 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone new to Auckland or NZ in general?

Originally Posted by ionaht
Hi folks, as you can see I'm a newbie on this here forum. So far it's just been brilliant reading everyone's posts.

I moved out to NZ (Auckland) 7 weeks ago and have been finding things quite tough. I was just wondering how other people are managing. I came out by myself and I don't have any family here. I thought I 'd meet people through work etc but I ended up in a nightmare situation where I had to resign from my job after 1 week (it's a long story but even the local Kiwi's can totally understand why I had to resign-in a nutshell, my employer's were less than honest about my job!!!). Luckily I've got a new job and I'm just waiting for my start date.

I'd love to hear any feedback and does anyone know if there are meetings or clubs I could join to meet other expats. It really helps just to have a little support when you are so far away from home.
Hi
Have you tried this site?:

www.*****.co.uk

Good luck

G
Old Sep 26th 2004, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks a million for that. Will try the website. It would just be nice to meet up with other Brits and other people on their own out here.

I refuse to give up on NZ. To be fair, things are getting a bit easier but the first 5-6 weeks have been really hard. Hopefully this will help me meet other people though.

Thanks, Iona.
Old Sep 27th 2004, 2:06 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Poor old you

Come down to Taranaki for a w/e and we'll show you a good time!

Aren't Gill and Rob in Auckland?
Old Sep 27th 2004, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

One of the reasons i couldnt wait to leave Auckland was the total lack of help or support for new immigrants. I decided that when i came to Australia i would not let that happen a second time, so got involved with AdelaideBrits and offering myself up to help others. Maybe it would be an idea to start something up for Auckland. Surely you cannot be the only Brit there feeling lonely? Helping others is a great way to help yourself and make new friends.
Old Sep 27th 2004, 2:35 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all your replies!!! I've gone and joined the NZ website which is a start.

I guess I need to have a bit patience but I would say to anyone coming out here, think carefully as to where you are going to get support from because, boy have I needed it and it's not really been there.

I know myself I need to give it time and luckily I'm starting my new job in 2 weeks so at least I've got the comfort of knowing I'll be with people and getting to know them. Fingers crossed it works!!! Pollster, when I get to Taranaki (once my bank balance is back into a healthy state again) I may give you a shout as visiting Mount T is top of my list of places to visit. Got a taster when I did a whistlestop tour of the South Island 3 weeks ago-it's truly spectacular in NZ!!!
Old Sep 27th 2004, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Where in Auckland are you living?
Old Sep 27th 2004, 3:10 am

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome and glad someone pointed you to the other site.

You are not alone re problems with employers on arrival to NZ, there are alot of us with the same story.

Good luck and will see you on the other side.
Old Sep 27th 2004, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

westiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to all

Hi there - sorry to hear you're having problems. It gets easier - we've been here 3 years now so if you have any questions....ask away !
I was just browsing this site wondering if there were any NZ ers on here any more, so it was nice to read that there are - the other site mentioned is great too.
Best of luck - shame about, the weather the last weekit doesn't help does it !
Old Sep 27th 2004, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Stuee is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ionaht
Thanks for all your replies!!! I've gone and joined the NZ website which is a start.

I guess I need to have a bit patience but I would say to anyone coming out here, think carefully as to where you are going to get support from because, boy have I needed it and it's not really been there.

I know myself I need to give it time and luckily I'm starting my new job in 2 weeks so at least I've got the comfort of knowing I'll be with people and getting to know them. Fingers crossed it works!!! Pollster, when I get to Taranaki (once my bank balance is back into a healthy state again) I may give you a shout as visiting Mount T is top of my list of places to visit. Got a taster when I did a whistlestop tour of the South Island 3 weeks ago-it's truly spectacular in NZ!!!
Hi there

Me the misses and kids have been here for 4 years, its hard to start with, I remember saying I was going home every other week. I still do actually but I am still here 4 years later. We are in Auckland, Greenhithe, you will meet people i am sure, since I have been here I have found a kid that was in my class at school and another that was in my wifes class. Small world eh!

Your net work of friends will build slowly, the kiwis are great , really nice people. Hey just a thouyght, I have organised a rafting trip for a few expats, mainly for those english cops that came over, but as usual, soon as I booked it all up they all cried off, now there are only 3 of us going. Fancy rafting in Taupo, shouldnt be too hard to squeeze in another, give us a shout.

stuee
Old Sep 28th 2004, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
No, not Auckland, but glorious Rotorua. It does take a while to establish a social circle, but it's not impossible. It's only 15 months later that we are finally having a "history" with people and events in the town.

Rotorua is wonderful, I know people "knock" it, but we love it. Yes, there is a smell, but only in certain parts of the town. It's sort of comforting driving back into town {from a day up at The Mount, Bay Fair or Tauranga,} along Te Ngae road and smelling the sulphur as you drive past Pak n' Save and back into Rotorua.

There are loads of parks and recreational activities for our kids. They start tennis lessons in a couple of weeks, and are both well able to handle a kayak on the Blue Lake. Opportunities they would never have had back in the UK. They've been to school camp and away with the Girl Guide movement. They have made great friends and both have been away with separate friends up to family batches {Lucky them}. For us we came for the lifestyle and the adventure.

Rotorua and we love it
Gill and Rob