Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone moving to rural oz?

Anyone moving to rural oz?

Old Apr 8th 2005, 12:40 pm
Banned

Widdi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really nice
Default Anyone moving to rural oz?

Hi,

We are going to WA about 3 hours north of Perth. (not too far but isolated enough)

I love the aussie laid back attitude in the "bush", I worked there for a few months last year and a year 2 years ago.

My main worry is going a little insane with so little amenities about etc. Its about an hour from the coast so not too bad there and the locals are really friendly but there is just a little nagging feeling that it maybe too much.

I love the expansive open country and space to breath.

any thoughts on this?

cheers
widdi
Old Apr 8th 2005, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Jamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone moving to rural oz?

Originally Posted by Widdi
Hi,

We are going to WA about 3 hours north of Perth. (not too far but isolated enough)

I love the aussie laid back attitude in the "bush", I worked there for a few months last year and a year 2 years ago.

My main worry is going a little insane with so little amenities about etc. Its about an hour from the coast so not too bad there and the locals are really friendly but there is just a little nagging feeling that it maybe too much.

any thoughts on this?

cheers
widdi
I agree with what you've said, and don't think you'll have too much of a problem. It's going to be a trade-off really isn't it? What you want against what you think you need.

Give it a go, and you'll find out whether it's for you.

hope it all works out for you.

jamie
Old Apr 8th 2005, 12:58 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Hi,

any thoughts on this?

cheers
widdi
Passionate hobbies.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:03 pm
Banned

Widdi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Megalania
Passionate hobbies.
??????
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:06 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

cheers
widdi
I "lived" in Geraldton for 6 months and whilst the isolation and ruggedness was a real draw to me, after 6 months i'd really had enough and wanted more stuff around me. Its still one of my favorite places to visit and my bestest Aussie mate lives there, but its not for me.

Its horses for courses, only you can decide
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:08 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by hevs
I "lived" in Geraldton for 6 months and whilst the isolation and ruggedness was a real draw to me, after 6 months i'd really had enough and wanted more stuff around me. Its still one of my favorite places to visit and my bestest Aussie mate lives there, but its not for me.

Its horses for courses, only you can decide
where did you move to?
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

oldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really nice

Hi,

any thoughts on this?

cheers
widdi
Hi Widdi
You say you have worked in the Bush....so you will know to be sure and buy a holding with reliable water provision... you will also know about fire in the bush..water is important... a natural spring or borehole is a real plus point.Relying on rainfall is very important and not to be underestimated but rainfall is fickle is it in your proposed area or reliable.Again if you are going to rear stock or harvest produce water is a key element in your business plan. Good luck with your endeavours
Oldgit (Small bush in Tassie!!! but water is important wherever you are in "bushland" australia)
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:30 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

where did you move to?
Back to the UK to marry my man

But my itch needed scratching so now we are in a semi rural bit of melbourne, JUST outside of the sprawl where its nice and green. (or at least it will be when it can be bothered to rain again)
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:45 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

I hope to move to a ruralish-type bit of Aus. Deffo not a city person. For me, it's all about wide-open spaces and wildlife. I'd better learn to drive mind....
Old Apr 8th 2005, 11:41 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

We're in a rural area I love it, after the yrs I spent in a town after getting married it's nice to be back in the countryside again. We do have to be careful of using to much water as we've only provision to store 18k gallons. Dipping the tank in the dry seasons becomes a weekly event. We've had a large dam dug and that provides all the water for the garden.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 11:50 pm
aussie73

Northern rural WA may be a bit dry, deserty and hot in summer. The best places in rural Australia to live are somewhere in the eastern states, VIC, TAS
or NSW, where the countryside in green and more fertile and cooler climate and probably less isolated.

Old Apr 9th 2005, 9:36 am
Banned

Originally Posted by aussie73
Northern rural WA may be a bit dry, deserty and hot in summer. The best places in rural Australia to live are somewhere in the eastern states, VIC, TAS
or NSW, where the countryside in green and more fertile and cooler climate and probably less isolated.

I Prefer rural WA to rural eastern states anyday! - There are more feral types over there just doing a weeks work before going to the coast for the weekends.

I like all of Oz but wa is for me!
Old Apr 9th 2005, 4:20 pm
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

I Prefer rural WA to rural eastern states anyday! - There are more feral types over there just doing a weeks work before going to the coast for the weekends.

I like all of Oz but wa is for me!
So where are you going, Widdi? Eneabba, Moora, or on the Inland Road, like Mingenew or Coorow? Perhaps Toodyay or Gidgegannup would be more to your liking? Still rural, but with more access to the amenities of the city.

Last edited by TheCrone; Apr 9th 2005 at 4:23 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 4:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by TheCrone
So where are you going, Widdi? Eneabba, Moora, or on the Inland Road, like Mingenew or Coorow? Perhaps Toodyay or Gidgegannup would be more to your liking? Still rural, but with more access to the amenities of the city.
MMM - well we'll see about the exact location. If I can remember Moora is about 3 hours from Perth.

It would be great if there was a proper town in this area rather than a agricultural service town.

I like it on the Victoria plains - anyone got any thoughts?
Old Apr 9th 2005, 4:32 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussie73
Northern rural WA may be a bit dry, deserty and hot in summer.
The contrary actually - northern WA (the Kimberly) is wet in summer and dry in the winter.

Jeremy