Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone moving to Perth with family

Anyone moving to Perth with family

Old Jun 1st 2008, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all
Smile Anyone moving to Perth with family

Hi
My wife, 3 children (ages 1,3 and 5) and I are hoping to be near Secret Harbour, Perth next year some time and wondered if anyone else is in the sme situation and would like to exchange ideas, concerns etc. My wife's main concern is buying a house, schooling and general ammenities for children. My concern is finding permanent work and how much is that bottle of red wine!! ps we currently live in Newcatle, UK.
Please make contact if you are in a similar position.
Alan
Old Jun 1st 2008, 1:30 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone moving to Perth with family

Originally Posted by daddyofthree
Hi
My wife, 3 children (ages 1,3 and 5) and I are hoping to be near Secret Harbour, Perth next year some time and wondered if anyone else is in the sme situation and would like to exchange ideas, concerns etc. My wife's main concern is buying a house, schooling and general ammenities for children. My concern is finding permanent work and how much is that bottle of red wine!! ps we currently live in Newcatle, UK.
Alan

If you are a teacher then finding work may be problematic.

If you want to work in the state sector then you may be expected to work out 'in the sticks' for a couple of years before you would be considered for a job within the metropolitan region.

Private schools work differently but you would be better finding a job before you plan where to live.

G
Old Jun 1st 2008, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Grayling
If you are a teacher then finding work may be problematic.

If you want to work in the state sector then you may be expected to work out 'in the sticks' for a couple of years before you would be considered for a job within the metropolitan region.

Private schools work differently but you would be better finding a job before you plan where to live.

G
Thanks for your reply - much appreciated. I do have a very good contact in Perth and yes I am a teacher (Head of PE and a p/t sports consultant). When you say out in the sticks how far are you talking about, 2 hours drive?
Alan
Old Jun 1st 2008, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

viksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by daddyofthree
Hi
Alan
Hey alan

Yep should be moving from leeds to Perth (hopefully next july)

Hopefully should be moving to either ocean reef,mindarie or hillarys

We're going on my dad's 136 visa as his job (IT Programmer) is quite in demand in Oz meaning that work shouldn't be too hard to get.

All i can advise is keep your eyes open on the job sites eg, www.seek.com.au and a jobs should come up eventually.

As for houses, the property boom seems to have ended in Oz and from what i've seen houses are on the fall now meaning it should be good for us expats to buy a 'decent sized' home, again just keep your eyes open on sites like www.realestate.com.au & www.reiwa.com.au.

Anyway, all the best and hope to meet down under!

Vik
Old Jun 1st 2008, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

westholden will become famous soon enoughwestholden will become famous soon enough

Find work and then work out where to live. Rent a self contained apartments, either at scarborough or como. Then get a feel for the area. Hillarys, mindarie and ocean reef and full of exparts, this is eight good or bad. I live in Duncraig, close to the freeway, train station, city and the coast. Secret Harbour is down south and to drive to the city is a nightmare. You can catch the train. We first rented a self contained apartment to get a feel. We did move the kids to another school after we purchased a home. Walking distance to primary and high school. Good luck.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

westholden will become famous soon enoughwestholden will become famous soon enough

oops spelling mistake. Either good or bad not Eight....
Old Jun 1st 2008, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by westholden
Find work and then work out where to live. Rent a self contained apartments, either at scarborough or como. Then get a feel for the area. Hillarys, mindarie and ocean reef and full of exparts, this is eight good or bad. I live in Duncraig, close to the freeway, train station, city and the coast. Secret Harbour is down south and to drive to the city is a nightmare. You can catch the train. We first rented a self contained apartment to get a feel. We did move the kids to another school after we purchased a home. Walking distance to primary and high school. Good luck.
I've heard a few people say that the drive from Secret Harbour to Perth is a nightmare but it's been ok for us. We don't travel at peak times so perhaps that obviously makes a difference.

I would say finding work before choosing a location would give you more options.

Good luck.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice

Hi Alan and family. We're moving to Secret Harbour in September and can't wait. We decided on the area as it was close to Kwinana, which is hopefully where my OH will be working (Maintenance Electrician). As the others advised, it's best to have an idea where you'll be working then decide on the are you want to live, unless you want a long commute. We didn't want him comuting too far as we want more family time and this wouldn't be possible if he's travelling for hours each day to work and back. Can I ask, why did you decide on Secret Harbour? Will you be working in the area? I believe the place is beautiful, with plenty going on for families, lots of clubs etc. There are 2 good primary schools there, one is called Comet Bay and the other is called Secret Harbour Primary. Others already living there might be able to help you with more local info but if there's anything else you'd like to know, just ask. Good luck x
Old Jun 1st 2008, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Just thinking about secret Harbour or Rockingham but yes it will depend where I get a job. A friend of ours has just returned from Secret Harbour but found it not so good for kids! She didn't like the beach either and preferred Rockingham or Port Kennedy, but that's just her opinion. I'll probably end up somewhere completely different.
Hope ll goes very well for you and have a safe flight in Sept
alan
Old Jun 1st 2008, 5:50 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Alan
We are a family of 4 headed for Perth in January.
We will be north of the river though as we have friends there.

I agree with what's already been said about finding work before you decide where to live.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Sonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really nice

Hi all, we are hoping to move to Perth too, myself, OH and two girls aged 7 & 3. My OH is a bricklayer so we will go where the work is, we do like the secret harbour and scarborough (although i heard its expensive there!). I am interested to know what the place is like for kids.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ShoreyM
Hi Alan and family. We're moving to Secret Harbour in September and can't wait. We decided on the area as it was close to Kwinana, which is hopefully where my OH will be working (Maintenance Electrician). As the others advised, it's best to have an idea where you'll be working then decide on the are you want to live, unless you want a long commute. We didn't want him comuting too far as we want more family time and this wouldn't be possible if he's travelling for hours each day to work and back. Can I ask, why did you decide on Secret Harbour? Will you be working in the area? I believe the place is beautiful, with plenty going on for families, lots of clubs etc. There are 2 good primary schools there, one is called Comet Bay and the other is called Secret Harbour Primary. Others already living there might be able to help you with more local info but if there's anything else you'd like to know, just ask. Good luck x
Thanks Shoreym. Best of luck in Sept and don't forget to make a thread to tell us what it's like
Alan
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Nickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of light

Hi we are moving to Perth as soon as we sell this house.

We are going NOR to ellenbrook, butler way...not too sure.

we have 4 kids......nearly 5yrs, nearly 10yrs, 11yrs and 14yrs.

Kevs a builder and i work in preschool.....did email a guy about rentals and he said to ring him when we are ready to go..

everythings a bit unsettled and its hard to sort things out from so far away isnt it...we are gonna rent first and then think about buying when we are there.

good luck with it all and im sure it will be fine when you get there.

Nickie
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

Uuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the rough

We are booked to fly out 10th July. We have 3 kids. 3yrs and 2 9months. House sold and living with the outlaws at present. Can't wait. Its going to be a great experience and the good weather we have had here in the last few days, just concretes our feeling that it will be soooo much better for the kids. Our toddler just wont come in and watch any TV.. Whats the world coming to
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

jimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nice

hi we are going to NOR hope to be going Aug/Sep . We are a family of 4. 2 boys age 7 and 5 OH is a joiner and i am a nursery nurse we are looking at Kinross ,mindarie or clarkson just waiting for our visa :curse:
kate and family

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.