Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anyone moving/moved with teenage children?

anyone moving/moved with teenage children?

Old Apr 11th 2006, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

flump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the rough
Default anyone moving/moved with teenage children?

Only just started going thru the process of having hubbys skills asessed. is there anyone who is going or has gone who have teenage children? Our eldest is 14 and i think he will find it more difficult than our other 3 children who are 10, 7 and 5. Any advice or how it has work for your kids?

thanks
claire
x
Old Apr 11th 2006, 11:35 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: anyone moving/moved with teenage children?

Originally Posted by flump
Only just started going thru the process of having hubbys skills asessed. is there anyone who is going or has gone who have teenage children? Our eldest is 14 and i think he will find it more difficult than our other 3 children who are 10, 7 and 5. Any advice or how it has work for your kids?

thanks
claire
x

Hi Claire, my girls are 14 and 7, its a nightmare, isn't it,

There has been quite a few threads about teenagers, you can search them using the search thread tools.

It's got to the stage I am beginning to bore myself, coz I've posted every worry about my teen and been through it all with her.

Recently she has got slightly, and i mean slightly better, had to tell her our meds had been requested, and all she said was 'do i get a day off school, so that went ok, lol.

But I fear the worst has yet to come, when the house goes up for sale, I am sure my life will become a living hell :scared:
Old Apr 12th 2006, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

marysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nice

[We moved here when james was 14 , 9 months ago and it was the best thing we could have done We got him into school within days and i think that was the key he settled in staright away and made friends he is very happy here
the gi rls were another tale
But after not wanting to come at all the 19 year old is at last really settling down and the eldest ( at uni in England) cant wait to get back. i think they cannot imagine it till they get here then when they are here it takes a while but they realsie eventually how good it is for them
good luck Mary
Old Apr 12th 2006, 1:04 am
vb2
bradford 2 brissy at last

vb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud of

my son is 14 next we moved out here a month ago, we have settled him into a school and he has made some friends, but its early days yet, because he is an only child, he doesnt venture out much without us especially as he is not that familiar with this area, but hopefully we can introduce him to the local kids as there are plenty around!!
my son has settled well so far, obviously he has moments where he misses england but i guess most people do, he is out in the bush this week for easter where he can drive a car, go shooting, go fishing, pretty much do as he pleases and his loving it, it is a totally different lifestyle out here and the best thing we could have done for him in my opinion, whether or not he feels the same, time will tell in a few years!!!! but he seems fine about it, he is an avid traveller like we are and enjoys checking out new things, he absolutely loves all the big outdoor swimming pools here, especially south bank in brisbane -even has its own beach!!
anyway give them time, its a life experience that not many get to try, as long as you expect bad days to occur (as well as the numerous good ones) then you are prepared and can handle it a little easier.
hope it helps
regards
vb2

thanks
claire
x
Old Apr 12th 2006, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

When we moved here one of our daughters was just turning 18 and fortuanatley was as keen as anybody to make the move. She could see past missing friends etc and knew(or thought) that she would have a better future here. Our 16 yr old wanted to finish her education in the UK and I really felt that she might never come but she has decided that she is not going to apply for uni in the UK as she is coming here so that is really good. I am not sure how she will go once she gets here as being profoundly deaf she finds it slightly more difficult making new friends with hearing people. The eldest one (soon to be 21) will make the move when she is ready but I know she will be here before the visa expires as she will not want to lose the chance of living here, but at the moment works at Eurodisney and is still a kid at heart and having a good time. Our youngest daughter had no choice and had to come but she is now nearly 12 and loves it here.
I think some teenagers come determined that they are not going to like it and then it takes them longer to settle, but I think most do.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 3:55 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

We left in 1999 when our youngest was 16.
I remember the morning we left the house for good to drive to the airport there were a group of around 12 teenagers at the front door crying & hugging her & taking photos etc etc.
They even presented her with a sort of this is your life book that they had all written & added photos.
I of course had something in my eye that made them water a bit

7 years later she keeps in touch with 5 or 6 of those girls, most of the group now have kids, about a third of them are married & on the dole.

Our kid doesn't regret moving here one bit now, shes now a bank clerk for the NAB, on a good wage, parties every weekend & just loves life in Aus.

She is going back though in June with her mum & it will be interesting to see how she gets on after 3 weeks back in Bonnie Scotland.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Bordy].
I remember the morning we left the house for good to drive to the airport there were a group of around 12 teenagers at the front door crying & hugging her & taking photos etc etc.
They even presented her with a sort of this is your life book that they had all written & added photos.
I of course had something in my eye that made them water a bit

we had excactly the same,loades of teens to see our daughter off with a scrap book of memories it was heart rending stuff,she was 17 when we came out here and didnt want to go back to school as she had already left in england,she had also just missed out on the july intake at college so had to wait till january,this did make it hard for her,and she wenrt through a very difficult time,but she has come through it,we ve been here 9 months now i cant believe it,and she has made friends,started college and turned 18 so she cant get in the bars One of her friends who is english and has been here for 3 years who really really missed england has just come back from a visit and kerry asked her how she got on,i was very pleased when she told me that she missed australia and her new friends and she really found out who her friends were back in the uk,something for my daughter to think about now her saving up to go back to the uk has turned into saving up to go to sydney,and im really chuffed.

I think if your son is in school he ll be fine,its a great way to make new friends and the out door lifestyle here lends itself to meeting people also.

tracey
Old Apr 12th 2006, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

Derek Clarke has a spectacular aura aboutDerek Clarke has a spectacular aura aboutDerek Clarke has a spectacular aura about

thanks
claire
x
Hi,

We moved out with Daughter 14 and son 12 7 months ago. They settled and made friends within a day at school. Before we came out my daughter said she would move back to th UK when she was 18, I asked her what she thought the other day and she said she loved it her and will not be going back to the UK.

They both love it out her, they still miss relatives etc and keep in tough with friends back home on the internet. Missing friends and family must not be underestimated, as well as the time and effort parents have to put in taxiing them around.

Derek
Old Apr 12th 2006, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

flump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Derek Clarke
Hi,

We moved out with Daughter 14 and son 12 7 months ago. They settled and made friends within a day at school. Before we came out my daughter said she would move back to th UK when she was 18, I asked her what she thought the other day and she said she loved it her and will not be going back to the UK.

They both love it out her, they still miss relatives etc and keep in tough with friends back home on the internet. Missing friends and family must not be underestimated, as well as the time and effort parents have to put in taxiing them around.

Derek
Hi Derek,

thanks for your info, it is a worry isn't it! We are thinking of moving to oz simply as we think our children will benefit from it in more ways than one long term. There doesn't seem to be much on offer where we live n have thought about moving to a different area but would that really make much difference to their lives long term, Does that make sense? Decisions, decisions. I've read many people are worse off financially but are still v glad they made the move, is this the same for u? What were your reasons for moving there?
Sorry about all the questions.

Claire
x
Old Apr 12th 2006, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Derek Clarke has a spectacular aura aboutDerek Clarke has a spectacular aura aboutDerek Clarke has a spectacular aura about

Hi Derek,

thanks for your info, it is a worry isn't it! We are thinking of moving to oz simply as we think our children will benefit from it in more ways than one long term. There doesn't seem to be much on offer where we live n have thought about moving to a different area but would that really make much difference to their lives long term, Does that make sense? Decisions, decisions. I've read many people are worse off financially but are still v glad they made the move, is this the same for u? What were your reasons for moving there?
Sorry about all the questions.

Claire
x
Hi Clare,

We were very much the same, we had lived in the same part of the UK all our lives. It just sort of happened I was offered a job over here. We had looked at moving within the UK but similar to you would there be any difference. When we looked at how the UK has changed over the last 20 years, we thought how will it be in another 20. Would our children get a decent Job, would they be able to afford a nice home, what about all the crime etc.
I know you can't guarantee that over her, but it is was one of the areas we looked at. We also took the weather into account in the UK we would save up for a 2 week holiday abroad so we could guarantee sun, here we have had 4 days rain in the last 7 months (we are on a drought though) it is now autumn and it is 23 deg during the day dose go cold at night though.
We do miss our family, but not as much as we thought we would, as we keep up to date through the phone and mail.

Generally we moved for a larger house (looking at having one built) land we are looking at 20 acres. Children and their future. Way of life, Weather etc

All the best

Derek
Old Apr 13th 2006, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Latona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud of

hi Clare
we have 3 children 13,10 and 4. they are all very excited about the move to Aus, we have friends that have just gone to Aus and there children are the same age as our oldest two.they had no trouble settling down and love school, from what they have told me the children have a new look on life,i cant wait to get my children settled so they can also enjoy the benefits of a better life style.
good luck with your visa
Denise peter and family