Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone moving to Darwin or Hobart

Anyone moving to Darwin or Hobart

Old Apr 25th 2006, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

loomatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone moving to Darwin or Hobart

I was at the SECC glasgow about a month ago and noticed all the stalls were busy promoting thier regions, the northern territory stall was deserted or should i say desert.
I never hear of people saying that they are emigrating to these places.
Surley these places are not that bad!
then again i can't talk im moving to Brisbane mid July.
matt.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 9:35 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone moving to Darwin or Hobart

Originally Posted by loomatt
I was at the SECC glasgow about a month ago and noticed all the stalls were busy promoting thier regions, the northern territory stall was deserted or should i say desert.
matt.
There are a couple of people on this forum I know of moving to Hobart and it's a destination I am considering also.

The problem with Darwin is getting used to the weather. They have a wet and dry season with temperatures fairly cosntant (27c-35c) all year round. The wet season can really drive some 'troppo' I have heard. Monsoonal rains, storms, humidity. Highest alcohol consumption per capita in OZ! Very mutlicutural place too. It really is a tropical climate tho.

On the plus side, teritorians are a fairly laidback bunch. Don't know much about work opportunities there. Hobart is scenic, cooler climate, some nice beaches and places to visit. Also meant to be quite friendly and about the best quality air in OZ.

Brisbane and surrounds can be lively and fun but also reasonably laidback. I found the locals reasonably friendly. I just couldn't handle the heat n
humidity. 29c at 6am on a sept morning (spring,just)! Nice balmy nights tho.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 9:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loomatt
matt.
There are quite a few people on the forum going to tassie (lucky gits!) and I think there have been a couple heading for the NT, less jobs in those areas of course, which cuts down the numbers going there.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually you would probably find it easier getting work in the NT than anywhere else in Australia. The exception of course would be high level IT workers and workers of that ilk. For tradies, nurses, hairdressers, office workers there is oodles of work in the NT. We moved from Alice Springs last year, and believe me, anyone who arrived in town by 9.00 a.m. could have 3 job offers by 5.00 p.m. if they were seriously looking for work.

The weather in Darwin is difficult if you are not used to humidity. They do like their booze and fags in the NT, but have to say they are the friendliest bunch in Australia. If you can't make friends in the NT there is something wrong with you. However, I would add, most of my friendships were of the convenience type, caused by being thrown together in the location. I found I had nothing in common with most of the locals, but you know I was able to get by, plenty of BBQs and social events if one wanted to get out.

It's actually quite interesting living in the NT, so laid back, no need to wear a suit to work, and generally just a relaxed attitude to life.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

vandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant future

Hi Matt,

Yes there are a few of us heading down to the apple isle !

We are due to get there some time in early September. It is a wonderful city with some great suburbs to live in and plenty of character. Hobart itself has also kept plenty of its old buildings so for australian standards, there is some great history to be seen.

Very underated city I feel especially having been to most cities in Australia. Worth considering as a potential place to move to so don't let the lack of people moving here put you off.... in fact that is a bonus !

All the best

Van
Old Apr 26th 2006, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with vicky on the job side of things. I had an agent who's client (a multi-national consultancy in civil engineering) was begging me to go there and was prepared to pay big bucks too. They were interested because I mentioned we were looking at Cairns and the agent said "why not darwin?"

What's the price of property in Tas/Hobart? I like the idea of Tas but think it would be too cold for us.

andy
Old Apr 26th 2006, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

vandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cadman
I agree with vicky on the job side of things. I had an agent who's client (a multi-national consultancy in civil engineering) was begging me to go there and was prepared to pay big bucks too. They were interested because I mentioned we were looking at Cairns and the agent said "why not darwin?"

What's the price of property in Tas/Hobart? I like the idea of Tas but think it would be too cold for us.

andy
Hi Cadman

Property like most of Australia has rocketed in the last few years. My other halfs parents who still live in Hobart have said that it has slowed down though. We have been looking at houses in areas only 4 or 5 kms from Hobart and you can get a 3 bed house with water views for around $300,000 which isn't too bad. Go slightly further out and that price should come down... plus you will get more land too.

I know what you mean about the cold though. It does get chilly in Tazzy in winter but I think I read somewhere that the record minimum temperature in Hobart was only -2C which is nothing compared to the UK. It is true that it has the most similar climate to the UK but I spent 6 months there over the autumn/winter and the number of clear blue sky days made up for the cold temps.

I would recommed a visit if possible to see for yourself but it is a great place to live.

Your not a Tranny supporter by any chance are you?

Van
Old Apr 26th 2006, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by vandiemen
Hi Cadman

Property like most of Australia has rocketed in the last few years. My other halfs parents who still live in Hobart have said that it has slowed down though. We have been looking at houses in areas only 4 or 5 kms from Hobart and you can get a 3 bed house with water views for around $300,000 which isn't too bad. Go slightly further out and that price should come down... plus you will get more land too.

I know what you mean about the cold though. It does get chilly in Tazzy in winter but I think I read somewhere that the record minimum temperature in Hobart was only -2C which is nothing compared to the UK. It is true that it has the most similar climate to the UK but I spent 6 months there over the autumn/winter and the number of clear blue sky days made up for the cold temps.

I would recommed a visit if possible to see for yourself but it is a great place to live.

Your not a Tranny supporter by any chance are you?

Van
Cheers Van, no, I'm a Man U fan for my sins! (not originally from wirral) I do live just round the corner from Prenton Park and have done for 15 years but to my shame have never been.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers Van, no, I'm a Man U fan for my sins! (not originally from wirral) I do live just round the corner from Prenton Park and have done for 15 years but to my shame have never been.
No problem Cadman,

Yes I saw that yopu had wirral next to your avatar and just thought I would ask. Yes I have a soft spot for them and try and get up to Prenton Park when possible.

Have you decided on where to finally settle yet?
Old Apr 26th 2006, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by vandiemen
No problem Cadman,

Yes I saw that yopu had wirral next to your avatar and just thought I would ask. Yes I have a soft spot for them and try and get up to Prenton Park when possible.

Have you decided on where to finally settle yet?

Yep, Cairns......................or..............er.... ..... Brisbane!

we've only had 2 years to decide ! Wife wants to go to Cairns cos she likes the tropics for some reason (she loved singapore climate) and we both love the lush green hilly environment there but it depends on work among other things. If not then it's probably brisbane - loads of work for me and her, more for the kids to do as they'll be teenagers by then, you can swim in the sea all year unlike cairns. we've got at least another 12 mths while she finishes her nursing before we go anyway (got our PR on my skills but then decided to stay while she did her mental health nurse training).

andy
Old Apr 26th 2006, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Yep, Cairns......................or..............er.... ..... Brisbane!

we've only had 2 years to decide ! Wife wants to go to Cairns cos she likes the tropics for some reason (she loved singapore climate) and we both love the lush green hilly environment there but it depends on work among other things. If not then it's probably brisbane - loads of work for me and her, more for the kids to do as they'll be teenagers by then, you can swim in the sea all year unlike cairns. we've got at least another 12 mths while she finishes her nursing before we go anyway (got our PR on my skills but then decided to stay while she did her mental health nurse training).

andy
Sounds Good Andy.

Yes I have been to both and they are great places. Fantastic scenery and wildlife in and around cairns which was one of the reasons I liked it. Brisbane is great too, particularly the super beaches within an hours drive north or south ! Tazzy ticks the green and lush box ok and I personally think that kids of all ages would enjoy it. My other half had a great time growing up there as you can go to the beach, sail and even when their teenagers, Hobart has got a good nightlife, pubs etc.

Im sure wherever you go, you will settle fine.

All the best

Van