Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone moved out on a buisness visa?

Anyone moved out on a buisness visa?

Old Nov 13th 2002, 10:24 am
Sarah266

Default Anyone moved out on a buisness visa?

Hi, I would like to hear from anyone who moved out on a buisness visa or employer nomination scheme (ES47). I am undecided whether to go on a buisness visa and then apply for residency in 18 months or just take that bit longer and do the ES47 and get permanent from the start.
How easy is it to get permanet residency once you are out there?
thanks,
Sarah

Old Nov 14th 2002, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

dpr21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Business Visa

Hi - to answer your question directly NO.

If you are planning on using a business visa you may have to get a move on. The government are discussing plans to confine the majority of these to SA & NT in a bid to improve the economies of those two states. Under the proposals, getting a business visa for say Sydney would become next to nigh impossible (although with enough money you could still probably get in anywhere?!?). Then again they are politicians so it could all be hot air.

DPR
Old Nov 14th 2002, 6:36 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Business Visa

Hi DPR.

Where did you hear this news about visas being focussed on SA and the NT?

Best regards.

Originally posted by dpr21
Hi - to answer your question directly NO.

If you are planning on using a business visa you may have to get a move on. The government are discussing plans to confine the majority of these to SA & NT in a bid to improve the economies of those two states. Under the proposals, getting a business visa for say Sydney would become next to nigh impossible (although with enough money you could still probably get in anywhere?!?). Then again they are politicians so it could all be hot air.

DPR
Old Nov 14th 2002, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

dpr21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Business Visa

Hi Alan

It was one of the current affairs programs on one of the local channels in Perth (7, 9, 10) a few days ago. Can't remember either the channel or the day as I didn't take much notice of it at the time. Now that I have been thinking about it, I seem to remember something about it coming up for discussion next March? I also think it was the deputy PM or Peter Costello (not Ruddock) talking about it - sorry wasn't listening that closely

DPR
Old Nov 14th 2002, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

dm543 is an unknown quantity at this point

There was an article about this in the Sydney Morning Herald the other day. It was also posted here twice.

Basically it said that the government is going to make it very difficult to immigrate to NSW and especially Sydney for business immigrants.
Old Nov 14th 2002, 10:11 pm
saoirse

Call me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone moved out on a buisness visa?

Originally posted by Sarah266
Hi, I would like to hear from anyone who moved out on a buisness visa or employer nomination scheme (ES47). I am undecided whether to go on a buisness visa and then apply for residency in 18 months or just take that bit longer and do the ES47 and get permanent from the start.
thanks,
Sarah
Hi Sarah
We moved out here on a business visa 457, just so we could be here while our PR was processing. I think it's not too difficult to get a 457 if you can prove you had the same business in the UK. To go on and get the PR through the business though seems VERY difficult, having to employ certain number of people, make $250.000 turnover per year etc
Also rules are being tightened up all the time.
If you can get your PR another way, skills maybe, why not just get the 4 year so you can come over and wait the 2 years for the PR over here.
Good luck, AL

Last edited by Call me AL; Nov 14th 2002 at 10:14 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2002, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future
Default Re: Anyone moved out on a buisness visa?

thanks,
Sarah
We are over on a Temporary Business Visa, whilst awaiting our PR. Having used an Agent to put forward our PR case, I applied for the business visa myself, and found it very straightforward - if you can write a sensible business plan, have an existing (successful) business in the UK, you should have no problems. However, I have to agree with another posting here that it is probably not best to rely on the Temporary Visa becoming PR - there are LOADS of stipulations in the Temp. Visa regulations, and unless you meet them all, you are likely to be on a plane back to the UK as soon as the Temp Visa runs out. Also, the business scene over here is VERY, VERY different to the UK - where we are in Brisbane, business seems to be obtained not by what you can do, but how cheaply you are prepared to do it and if you're not a mate of the person wanting the work done, forget it!!!
Old Nov 15th 2002, 7:21 pm
Sarah266

I am a midwife, so i am looking at it from a nursing point of view. Any nurses done it that way - what's best?

Old Nov 15th 2002, 8:58 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Sarah,

I think you might be referring to the 457-employer sponsored visa, rather than the 457-Independent Executive visa that others have been discussing.

What you could do is apply for the 457-sponsored visa (given that you can find an employer to sponsor you) and move to Australia on this visa while a permanent skilled visa application is being processed ...

Is this the sort of strategy that you are thinking about?

I am a midwife, so i am looking at it from a nursing point of view. Any nurses done it that way - what's best?
Old Nov 15th 2002, 10:09 pm
Sarah266

Originally posted by Alan Collett
Sarah,

I think you might be referring to the 457-employer sponsored visa, rather than the 457-Independent Executive visa that others have been discussing.

What you could do is apply for the 457-sponsored visa (given that you can find an employer to sponsor you) and move to Australia on this visa while a permanent skilled visa application is being processed ...

Is this the sort of strategy that you are thinking about?

Thanks for replying.
I was looking into the ES47 'employer sponsored migration' where you get sponsored by an employer and get permanent residency, however i have been told that some people go out on a buisness visa (the uo to 4 year one) and then apply for residency when they have been there for approx. 18 months. apparently this way is quicker. Any light you could shed on this topic would be really welcome.
Thanks Sarah

Old Nov 15th 2002, 10:16 pm
Migration Agent

Hello again Sarah.

You are referring to the Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) - or the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) that applies in regional or low population growth areas of Australia.

There is more information about both visa categories here:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/employer.htm

The challenge is to find the employer that is happy to enter into the undertakings that come with a sponsorship - but as a midwife you might find it a lot easier to find such a sponsor as compared with other occupations.

Does this help?

Happy to discuss in more detail if you want to contact me or my colleague John Sylvester.