Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone MOved to Ipswich Queensland

Anyone MOved to Ipswich Queensland

Old Feb 12th 2007, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

WILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud of
Default Anyone MOved to Ipswich Queensland

My hubby has a job in the Rocklea area...
Ipswich, Yamonto, Redland Plains, Camira,Redbank Plains etc???
Has anyone moved from the UK to these areas? they seem very affordable but is the education/schooling upto scratch?
Can anyone give any advise on these suburbs?

Keep me posted
JaneW xxxxx
Old Feb 12th 2007, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone MOved to Ipswich Queensland

Originally Posted by WILKINSONS
Has anyone moved from the UK to these areas? they seem very affordable but is the education/schooling upto scratch?

Keep me posted
JaneW xxxxx
Put the Ipswich in the search box, loads will come up. Cheaper than bris as its inland a bit, hotter in summer, cooler in winter, some OK areas some certainly not so nice, like anywhere you really need to see it to decide if its for you.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

dynamite will become famous soon enough

Totally agree, when I speak to people about Ipswich, well the response I get is not so good. I find cheaper housing not so nice area. But thats not always the case, you need to check it out yourself, generally you will know what sort of area it is by having a drive around.
D
Old Feb 13th 2007, 3:36 am
him
token local

him has a spectacular aura abouthim has a spectacular aura abouthim has a spectacular aura about

Keep me posted
JaneW xxxxx
As a former resident of Ipswich, I can tell you that the major problem there is the "Ipswich Motorway" or Ipswich Road.
I moved out of Ipswich about 10 years ago and the only major road connection to Brisbane has not been improved in that time whilst the amount of traffic on it has increased exponentially.
It is a federal road but, as it falls in an area outside of Sydney/Melbourne it has been neglected by the federal govt for years.
Personally I do not mind Ipswich or the people there, facilities are improving and attitudes which once held the place back are being forced to change.
Despite the normal generalisations, crime and gangs are probably worse in Brisbane city or on the Gold Coast.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 2:19 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I've stayed with my friends in Ipswich 3 times, the last time was 3 months ago.

I think Ipswich is great - but it has a bad rep for some reason.

I would have no problem in living there, apart from the fact it is a long way from the beach and also gets very very hot in summer.

Buzzy
Old Feb 13th 2007, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Bogan city. Don't do it.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 2:51 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James516
Bogan city. Don't do it.
Yes. That appears to be the opinion of most people who don't live there.

Buzzy
Old Feb 14th 2007, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

Cardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Yes. That appears to be the opinion of most people who don't live there.

Buzzy
My sister and her family live there, they seem to really enjoy it, they have a nice big block of land, loveley house, pool, room for a pony and the kids enjoy their school..........cant say anymore as I have never been myself.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 8:01 am
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cardos
My sister and her family live there, they seem to really enjoy it, they have a nice big block of land, loveley house, pool, room for a pony and the kids enjoy their school..........cant say anymore as I have never been myself.
Exactly. It's a country town, population about 100,000, great sense of community, lots of space, good transport links to Brisbane. I've met some lovely people there and been surprised how worldly-wise they were and how un-bogan like they were.

There's some info and photos about Ipswich on my Brisbane reccie report here -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412993

Buzzy

Last edited by Buzzy--Bee; Feb 14th 2007 at 8:03 am.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Keep me posted
JaneW xxxxx
Hi
We live in a suburb which is under Ipswich city council control. It is called Karalee, we have an acreage property on the Brisbane river. It is a small community based suburb where people in the street say hello and crime is virtually unheard of. It is however not far from Ipswich city center, about 10 mins drive, but feels hours away in terms of quality. Ipswich has a terrible reputation, much of which is deserved, poverty, no education, hill billy. However the surrounding suburbs can be very nice and a sound investment. As Brisbane struggles to cope with the huge influx of migrants the surrounds become more attractive, hence Ipwich is now going through the boom Brissy did years ago. Our house is just on the Brisbane river across from a suburb called Karanna downs which comes under Brisbane city council so if you work in Ipswich it is not a case of having to live in Ipswich. Consider other areas like, Mt Crosby, Chuwar, Anstead. All these areas though are quite rural and if you enjoy the hustle and bustle of the city will not appeal to you. I would suggest Ipswich city centre may not be the pretty cosmopolitan area you crave though.
All in all we choose to live here, not through financial restrictions as we looked as far apart as Victoria point on the bayside to Kholo in the sticks. It just felt like a wonderful place to live and we have no regrets at all in our decision to live here.
Most of the replies on here will tell you that the only place that exists for migrants from the UK is the bayside but take a look around and make up your mind for yourself.

Last edited by The S's; Feb 14th 2007 at 9:22 am.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Exactly. It's a country town, population about 100,000, great sense of community, lots of space, good transport links to Brisbane. I've met some lovely people there and been surprised how worldly-wise they were and how un-bogan like they were.

There's some info and photos about Ipswich on my Brisbane reccie report here -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412993

Buzzy
I also work with a lot of young guys who live in the Ipswich area and can honestly say what a nice group of lads they are. Remember that it does not seem to matter what area you live in here, or how much you pay for your house you may still get hoons in your street. was in Manly the other day, one of the most up its self areas around, and a bloke in the street puked between his feet then carried on drinking his stubbie, nice. Its not a cut and dried here as it is in the UK, out price the scum and they stay away, nothing here is as easy as that. As the Aussies say " you'll love it".