Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone moved to the Gold Coast from Sydney and then moved back within 6 months?

Anyone moved to the Gold Coast from Sydney and then moved back within 6 months?

Old Jul 18th 2009, 10:34 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone moved to the Gold Coast from Sydney and then moved back within 6 months?

Just wondered if anyone had done this. The reason being that. We moved to the GC 5 months ago. But things haven't worked out the way we had wished. Basically we are not happy. So we have decided to return to Sydney. In our hearts. It's the right decision. We both don't enjoy our jobs up here and in the GC there is not so much scope for getting another job easily. But has anyone else ever done this? Luckily for me . I have managed to get my old job back in Sydney. We both like the GC. But It hasnt worked out and instead of moaning about it. We are taking action. Wish us luck.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 10:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone moved to the Gold Coast from Sydney and then moved back within 6 months?

Gedge did Sydney - UK - Sydney in six months. Is that any use?
Old Jul 18th 2009, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone moved to the Gold Coast from Sydney and then moved back within 6 months?

Ok good luck and hope it all works out for you!
Old Jul 19th 2009, 1:22 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Ok good luck and hope it all works out for you!
So do we. Thanks.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 8:51 am
Freedom!

I somehow thought there would have been more people in my position.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 11:43 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

We moved to the Gold Coast after 2 years in Adelaide.....and I hated it here I missed Adelaide far more than I missed the U.K....it was a strange feeling indeed. My Husbands job turned out to be a nightmare, but after 3 job changes he found a good one.

Once again I'd say it takes a good two years to feel settled in new surroundings...have a close friend or two, go somewhere without looking at the refadex and know which shop sells that unusual item that you need.

I must admit that it doesn't seem as friendly here as it was in Adelaide and the making friends process has been slow BUT after three years (and especially a trip back to the u.k) here I feel really settled and very much at home.

I'd say 6 months was still a bit early to be packing it in ...but good luck with your plans all the same....I admire your conviction.

Jan x
Old Jul 19th 2009, 11:25 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Just wondered if anyone had done this. The reason being that. We moved to the GC 5 months ago. But things haven't worked out the way we had wished. Basically we are not happy. So we have decided to return to Sydney. In our hearts. It's the right decision. We both don't enjoy our jobs up here and in the GC there is not so much scope for getting another job easily. But has anyone else ever done this? Luckily for me . I have managed to get my old job back in Sydney. We both like the GC. But It hasnt worked out and instead of moaning about it. We are taking action. Wish us luck.
Can I ask why did you leave Sydney? I'm sure you've thought about that. Any negatives about Sydney probably still remain, but you will hopefully see them in a new light. With any luck you'll find the good things you feel made you happier here than on the GC. Best of luck.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 6:15 am
Freedom!

Originally Posted by gedge
Can I ask why did you leave Sydney? I'm sure you've thought about that. Any negatives about Sydney probably still remain, but you will hopefully see them in a new light. With any luck you'll find the good things you feel made you happier here than on the GC. Best of luck.
The main reason we left Sydney was that we wanted to buy a house and cant afford it in Sydney. The next thing was that i had a job to come to. The job didnt work out and it will be a few years before we can afford to buy a place. I love Sydney and have nothing bad to say about it. So we are moving back. I have scored my old job back and we know in ours hearts that its for the best. The house can wait. We want to be happy. There are a few other personal reasons that i wont go into on here. Looking forward to it.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 7:54 am
Freedom!

Ok. Maybe rephrase it. Has anyone moved from Sydney to another place in Oz and then moved back to Sydney?
Old Jul 25th 2009, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

This is my view - if I had moved to GC within the last 12 months then I would have questioned the move. Especially if the reason was job. I surely understand where you coming from on cost of living (house) in Sydney but it all cancels out. GC on average, has lower cost of living but lower salary too. And this is macro level.

Property prices in GC are very volatile. I am in banking and I know what kind of losses we were seeing in GC and property in general. One get s paid according to cost of living in that country/city/state - that's economics 1-0-1

I would say - you are in the best position because you have experience living in both places. No matter which city you are now - the situation is tough so I would strongly rec. move once job is in hand...