Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone moved from Brisbane to Melbourne?

Anyone moved from Brisbane to Melbourne?

Old May 7th 2008, 8:46 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone moved from Brisbane to Melbourne?

Originally Posted by cresta57
Maybe that military precision, attention to detail and training means your just expecting to much to quickly.
I know how you feel though, it's really frustrating trying to run a business when suppliers have a "manana" attitude to life, work & clients. :curse:
I just enjoy my very quiet corner, space is what I love most
Go visit, stay a while, find your nook
Oh, have you read that book yet? You could have finished it while you waited for the real estate to get back to you.
Got em both here Sean!! Not sure on the logisitics of getting em back to you - what do you suggest?
Old May 7th 2008, 8:49 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mr Anderson
yep its amazing, the first response i got about redcliffe before i went to look at it(from a guy from brisbane) was....oh.... you mean deadcliffe
i asked why, he said "gods waiting room"!

i admit, nice beach and pier but a bit like morecombe for me
al
Might have been a few years ago, but you can actually watch it changing before your eyes at the moment. Loads of development and 'young trendies' with loadsa cash moving in. Quite amusing to wander through Redcliffe on a weekend and see all the local scrotes (of which there are many as it seems to be a large housing association area) mingling with the monied variety!
Old May 7th 2008, 9:12 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

What is interesting about this thread and others like it is that several people living elsewhere in Oz make the statement "I wish we'd moved to Melbourne". I am yet to see many threads where Melbourne-based expats say they wish they had moved elsewhere in Oz.

Food for thought.

Buzzy
Old May 7th 2008, 9:25 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
What is interesting about this thread and others like it is that several people living elsewhere in Oz make the statement "I wish we'd moved to Melbourne". I am yet to see many threads where Melbourne-based expats say they wish they had moved elsewhere in Oz.

Food for thought.

Buzzy
There's loads glad they didn't move to Melbourne too

Some people move to Aus and find where they've landed is not for them. Some move back to Uk - others move interstate. Sometimes it's for job reasons, other times it's due to wanting a different climate or change of scenery or just to experience the differences in each state.

No one can say anywhere is a better place than another. It's all about taste and differences in opinion. Let's face it, even if you've been to every state and had a good look round, you very rarely get to experience living there or see everywhere within the area as Aus is so vast. Until you live somewhere for a period of time then it's a snapshot of how things are. Having said that, you probably get a "feel" for it.

At the end of the day people find their own happiness. And that can be absolutely anywhere
Old May 7th 2008, 9:38 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Food for thought.

Buzzy
There was an interesting article in the Courier Mail recently regarding interstate migration. Figures quoted were 2000 Victorians arriving in SE Qld per week, predominantly early retiree's.
Looking at the census details it's closer to 20 per week though, that's newspapers for you

For the year ended 31 March 2007, Queensland experienced the highest positive net interstate migration with a gain of 26,700 persons. Other states and territories to experience a positive net interstate migration were Western Australia (4,100 persons) and the Australian Capital Territory (1,300). Negative net interstate migration was experienced by New South Wales (-26,000 persons), South Australia (-3,500 persons), Victoria (-1,800 persons), Tasmania (-520 persons) and the Northern Territory (-180 persons).

Add up the positive, subtract the negative the final figure is how many Aussies are now bartending in London
Old May 7th 2008, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

One fly in the ointment, could be the new bar and club entry times they are trying to bring in. The problem stems from trouble with drunks in certain venues around town, the powers that be, have put forward the possibility of draconian measures of restricting entry to venues after 2am. This will cause big problems for shift workers in this town. There has been a bit of an outcry about this on talkback radio here.

I guess this is one of the major differences between Brisbane and Melbourne, because I doubt if anyone would bat an eyelid about such restrictions in Brisbane ?
Old May 7th 2008, 10:32 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
One fly in the ointment, could be the new bar and club entry times they are trying to bring in. The problem stems from trouble with drunks in certain venues around town, the powers that be, have put forward the possibility of draconian measures of restricting entry to venues after 2am. This will cause big problems for shift workers in this town. There has been a bit of an outcry about this on talkback radio here.

I guess this is one of the major differences between Brisbane and Melbourne, because I doubt if anyone would bat an eyelid about such restrictions in Brisbane ?
These restrictions already exist in Brisbane - no entry (or re-entry) after 3am.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...19/1348244.htm

There has been a rally in Brisbane's Fortitude Valley against plans to introduce a 3:00am AEST nightclub "lockout".

The curfew doesn't bother me...I'm normally ready to stumble home by 3am / fall asleep on the bus. And to be honest the Valley is grim enough without people crawling between bars after 3am! Am I getting old!!???
Old May 7th 2008, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
These restrictions already exist in Brisbane - no entry (or re-entry) after 3am.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...19/1348244.htm

There has been a rally in Brisbane's Fortitude Valley against plans to introduce a 3:00am AEST nightclub "lockout".

The curfew doesn't bother me...I'm normally ready to stumble home by 3am / fall asleep on the bus. And to be honest the Valley is grim enough without people crawling between bars after 3am! Am I getting old!!???
On the very rare occasion I am out late, the 2am restrictions could affect me. Got to admit, I doubt if the 3am one would.
Old May 7th 2008, 11:30 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Anyone moved from Brisbane to Melbourne?

Originally Posted by cresta57
There was an interesting article in the Courier Mail recently regarding interstate migration. Figures quoted were 2000 Victorians arriving in SE Qld per week, predominantly early retiree's.
Absolutely.

If people on this website were retirees looking for somewhere to retire I would definitely recommend QLD (possibly not Brisbane itself) as a good place to go.

But the majority of people on this site need jobs, income, things to do with the kids etc etc which is why I recommend Melbourne so highly.

Buzzy
Old May 8th 2008, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold

Absolutely.

If people on this website were retirees looking for somewhere to retire I would definitely recommend QLD (possibly not Brisbane itself) as a good place to go.

But the majority of people on this site need jobs, income, things to do with the kids etc etc which is why I recommend Melbourne so highly.

Buzzy

And the hot humid weather suits older peoples bones as they feel the cold alot easier so far better equipped to cope with the climate.

So if you enjoy the weather in QLD then you are obviously OLD before your time

Anyway buzzy, stop now as the house prices are high enough!

Any curry nights planned soon as it gets so cold here?

Al
Old May 8th 2008, 1:40 am
Victorian Evangelist

Smile Re: Anyone moved from Brisbane to Melbourne?

Anyway buzzy, stop now as the house prices are high enough!
Higher! Higher! (to quote Bruce Forsyth)

Any curry nights planned soon as it gets so cold here?

Al
I was thinking it was about time.

Do you fancy organising one?

Buzzy
Old May 8th 2008, 2:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
You're in a great position really. Why not spend a year in Melbourne then head back to Brisbane if you want? Best of both worlds
That's what I'd do if I didn't have the kids.

I agree with this totally, move around as much as you can while you dont have kids. You really appreciate that freedom once you have them in highschool and are living in a country with 9 different education systems

Fluffy, Qlds OK Victorias OK, we have to read a lot of reports on major developments, demographics etc , the median age of the population in QLD is 35, in Victoria its 33, not much in it, both are young states with a lot of growth projected.

Be free while you can

Did you get the cheap flights, we did, just! finding 4 seats was a challenge were on 2 different flights on the way back.