Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone moved from Brisbane to Melbourne?

Anyone moved from Brisbane to Melbourne?

Old May 7th 2008, 8:57 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone moved from Brisbane to Melbourne?

It's really all about choice.

Anywhere will get on your tit ends if the place you are living in makes you unhappy.

The reality is you can manage anything and love anywhere if you are happy and it suits you

And THAT'S without mentioning the weather
Old May 7th 2008, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jond
one thing that does get my goat here tho is no one says thankyou if you let them walk past in the street. I sarcastically say loudly "thank you" so that they get it. argghhhhh

Or if you let them out in a line of traffic, I don't bother anymore **** em

I still think that they are without doubt the worst drivers I have ever seen outside of Belgium
I witness far better driving here than I did in Bristol - but then Bristol is notoriously bad. I also think drivers in the hills are pretty polite - actually let you out and thank you most of the time. Not saying that there isn't any silly driving, as, of course, there is - but not as bad as Bristol!
Old May 7th 2008, 9:09 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Yes, have read Buzzy's threads - very informative!

The area around the Dandenongs is somewhere I have identified as a possible!! Only 45 mins to the city but bush on your doorstep!

The weather's not an issue really as we know that Mellie still gets some fine, fine summers - in fact, it would be nice to get 'cold' and chuck a few logs on the fire once in a while!

Still not sure what we are doing yet but never say never!!

Anyone else in a similar boat then? Rest assured I;m gonna keep bumping the heck outta this thread!
I'm not, but kind of wish I was. Our first choice was Melbourne, but for reasons I cannot be bothered to go into after 11 years, we came to Perth. I like Perth and it certainly has some trendy, villagey type 'burbs, but I've had enough. We had friends who lived here for about 10 years I believe and they have moved to Victoria with Hub's job, they are in Berwick and they love it. (Hello E if you're reading).

I would say go for it Rob, you only have one life and at the moment you have no ties. Best of luck to you.

Last edited by St.Georges Girl; May 7th 2008 at 9:18 am.
Old May 7th 2008, 10:48 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Another myth, there is most def a winter here too, winter is dry, very very sunny, a crystal clear type of blue, cool evenings and mornings, lows can be single figures in the evenings. Hinterlands and areas such as amberley, ipswich and towards stanthorpe way can get the odd frost.
Absolutely. I read on here all the time about the 'endless summer' and it just aint true people. I find the winters here pleasant though. It's nice to put a jacket on but I'm not keen on the idea of really having to wrap up!
Maybe the constant heat people were in Darwin, 32 - 34 all year basically.
Not quite. During our year in Darwin, the daytime temps got down to 21-22C (which just happened to be the coldest day on record ) and it night it got down to about 16-17C in the depths of winter.
Old May 7th 2008, 10:55 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

I was standing by for that! You are so predictable, you lot!

Whilst I'm on a roll, another thing that grips our shit, is the way QLD'rs do business! I am seriously surprised that any of the businesses here are still going! Customer Service? What's that?
Is it too much trouble to acknowledge that we exist? Please tell me it's better in Melbourne?
When we came on our recce, we were undecided between Brisbane and Melbourne so we visited both. Our experience of customer service in the shops was that in Brisbane, we ended up in conversations with everybody and it always ended in 'have a nice day'. But in Melbourne, we felt as if everyone was in too much of a hurry for such triviality and just completed the transaction before moving on to the next. There are exceptions, like in the AFL Hall of Fame. It was late in the afternoon when we went in and the place was almost deserted so we got special attention by all the staff

We were due to spend a week in each city but cut Melbourne short as after a couple of days we had decided where we wanted to be, so went back there.
Old May 7th 2008, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
But in Melbourne, we felt as if everyone was in too much of a hurry for such triviality and just completed the transaction before moving on to the next.
Maybe in the city - but this has rarely happened to me in and around my area. Mostly excellent, I would say.
Old May 7th 2008, 11:10 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

When we came on our recce, we were undecided between Brisbane and Melbourne so we visited both. Our experience of customer service in the shops was that in Brisbane, we ended up in conversations with everybody and it always ended in 'have a nice day'. But in Melbourne, we felt as if everyone was in too much of a hurry for such triviality and just completed the transaction before moving on to the next. There are exceptions, like in the AFL Hall of Fame. It was late in the afternoon when we went in and the place was almost deserted so we got special attention by all the staff

We were due to spend a week in each city but cut Melbourne short as after a couple of days we had decided where we wanted to be, so went back there.
It's not shop assistants we have a problem with - it's everyone else. Recruitment agencies, utility providers, real estate agencies etc.......incompetent fools, the lot of em! I am really surprised anything gets done.
Old May 7th 2008, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

mattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bcworld
Hi Fluffy,

I am almost certainly going to make the move from Brisbane to Melbourne at some point this year. You seem a bit reluctant to state your reasons but I'm guessing they're pretty similar to mine. I'm young with no kids and while I think Brisbane is nice I find it incredibly bland and it bores me senseless sometimes - I know plenty of people who feel the same. Trips on the City Cat and visits to South Bank are all very well......but is there anything else!!?

What Brisbane lacks is any suburbs or areas which might fit into the trendy / funky/ just a little bit different bracket. Paddington maybe comes close....but I've never seen the attraction in West End. Melbourne is packed pull of areas where you can see a bit of life.

The weather doesn't come into it for me either....I've spent a lot of time in Melbourne over the last 6 months and believe me, I've seen nothing but wall to wall sun everytime (I know it's not always like this and yes, I have also been in Winter!).

I generally find as well the cost of living is lower down there. Even renting / buying an apartment in the kind of area I'd want to live in is signifcantly cheaper. Eating out is cheaper & definitely better.

I've lived in Brisbane for about 3.5 years all up now and its definitely time to escape! Will be off as soon as I can.

Cheers, B
Agree totally with this post.
I am beginning to think we should have gone to Melbourne.
Old May 7th 2008, 11:18 am
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not shop assistants we have a problem with - it's everyone else. Recruitment agencies, utility providers, real estate agencies etc.......incompetent fools, the lot of em! I am really surprised anything gets done.
Really surprised by this change in your opinion, you always seem to be telling people to come to the Peninsula, cafe atmosphere, et al.

I love visiting the Peninsula, although I wouldn't live there. But until recently, you seemed to be really enjoying living there.

M
Old May 7th 2008, 11:19 am
What's happening dudes?

You should try organising a tradie in Darwin. I'm still waiting for a couple of carpet cleaners and a removalist to call me back from before we moved in September

Mind you, I'm still waiting for that locksmith to get me back into my house in Brisbane from 2006

Laid back indeed. As a fellow forumer once said, if you want the laid-back lifestyle, putting up with laid back people is just a part of it. I know some people are just too damn laid back for their own good but the principle is true.
Old May 7th 2008, 11:23 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Laid back indeed. As a fellow forumer once said, if you want the laid-back lifestyle, putting up with laid back people is just a part of it. I know some people are just too damn laid back for their own good but the principle is true.
You have to draw the line between laid back and taking the p!ss somewhere though.

Like paying top whack rent to live in an apartment, in Summer, with no promised blinds being fitted, broken cooker, non-working phoneline and the agent taking 3 months to do anything about it. Laid back doesn't really come into it.
Old May 7th 2008, 11:49 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Machiavelli
Really surprised by this change in your opinion, you always seem to be telling people to come to the Peninsula, cafe atmosphere, et al.

I love visiting the Peninsula, although I wouldn't live there. But until recently, you seemed to be really enjoying living there.

M
.............and we still do love it here, honestly we do. Just want 'more' though!
Greedy eh?
Old May 7th 2008, 12:07 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe that military precision, attention to detail and training means your just expecting to much to quickly.
I know how you feel though, it's really frustrating trying to run a business when suppliers have a "manana" attitude to life, work & clients. :curse:
I just enjoy my very quiet corner, space is what I love most
Go visit, stay a while, find your nook
Oh, have you read that book yet? You could have finished it while you waited for the real estate to get back to you.
Old May 7th 2008, 12:18 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

You're in a great position really. Why not spend a year in Melbourne then head back to Brisbane if you want? Best of both worlds
That's what I'd do if I didn't have the kids.
Old May 7th 2008, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for that Al!!

It is good for us to hear other people's opinions - we know that only we can decide in the long run but we are slowly formulating a good idea of what Melbourne has that Brisbane doesn't, and vice versa. We are planning a trip down for a long weekend soon and will be checking out a lot fo the places mentioned.

Keep em coming...........
yep its amazing, the first response i got about redcliffe before i went to look at it(from a guy from brisbane) was....oh.... you mean deadcliffe
i asked why, he said "gods waiting room"!

i admit, nice beach and pier but a bit like morecombe for me
al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.