British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Anyone moved from Brisbane to Melbourne? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/anyone-moved-brisbane-melbourne-534124/)

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer May 3rd 2008 10:24 pm

Anyone moved from Brisbane to Melbourne?

We are currently in Brisbane. Moved here from the UK in September last year. Now, as much as we love where we live and have no intention (ever) of going back to the UK, we have been thinking for some time that perhaps Melbourne might be able to offer us more in the way of the lifestyle that we are seeking.....I won't go into the in's and out's of why etc.....there'll only be those who wish to slate me for it and protect QLD blah blah.....:huh:

Nothing is set in stone yet, we are merely going through the 'research' phase and weighing up the pros, cons and the viability of it all.

Is there anyone else on BE who has lived in QLD and moved to Victoria? Would be great to hear your comparisons on the different states/ cities and in particular, your reasons for making the move. Failing that, is there anyone in a similar boat who is also considering making the move?

Over to you..............:)

bcworld May 4th 2008 12:13 am

Re: Anyone moved from Brisbane to Melbourne?

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer (Post 6303779)
Failing that, is there anyone in a similar boat who is also considering making the move?

Hi Fluffy,

I am almost certainly going to make the move from Brisbane to Melbourne at some point this year. You seem a bit reluctant to state your reasons but I'm guessing they're pretty similar to mine. I'm young with no kids and while I think Brisbane is nice I find it incredibly bland and it bores me senseless sometimes - I know plenty of people who feel the same. Trips on the City Cat and visits to South Bank are all very well......but is there anything else!!? :confused:

What Brisbane lacks is any suburbs or areas which might fit into the trendy / funky/ just a little bit different bracket. Paddington maybe comes close....but I've never seen the attraction in West End. Melbourne is packed pull of areas where you can see a bit of life.

The weather doesn't come into it for me either....I've spent a lot of time in Melbourne over the last 6 months and believe me, I've seen nothing but wall to wall sun everytime (I know it's not always like this and yes, I have also been in Winter!).

I generally find as well the cost of living is lower down there. Even renting / buying an apartment in the kind of area I'd want to live in is signifcantly cheaper. Eating out is cheaper & definitely better.

I've lived in Brisbane for about 3.5 years all up now and its definitely time to escape! Will be off as soon as I can.

Cheers, B

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer May 4th 2008 12:36 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 6303958)
Hi Fluffy,

I am almost certainly going to make the move from Brisbane to Melbourne at some point this year. You seem a bit reluctant to state your reasons but I'm guessing they're pretty similar to mine. I'm young with no kids and while I think Brisbane is nice I find it incredibly bland and it bores me senseless sometimes - I know plenty of people who feel the same. Trips on the City Cat and visits to South Bank are all very well......but is there anything else!!? :confused:

What Brisbane lacks is any suburbs or areas which might fit into the trendy / funky/ just a little bit different bracket. Paddington maybe comes close....but I've never seen the attraction in West End. Melbourne is packed pull of areas where you can see a bit of life.

The weather doesn't come into it for me either....I've spent a lot of time in Melbourne over the last 6 months and believe me, I've seen nothing but wall to wall sun everytime (I know it's not always like this and yes, I have also been in Winter!).

I generally find as well the cost of living is lower down there. Even renting / buying an apartment in the kind of area I'd want to live in is signifcantly cheaper. Eating out is cheaper & definitely better.

I've lived in Brisbane for about 3.5 years all up now and its definitely time to escape! Will be off as soon as I can.

Cheers, B

PM'd ya mate! :thumbup:

Anyone else in the same boat?

Pollyana May 4th 2008 1:04 am

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer (Post 6304005)
PM'd ya mate! :thumbup:

Anyone else in the same boat?

Never likely to make the move, but the idea does appeal. I like Melbourne - seems to be more vibrant, just feels more lively. I like the restaurants, bars, and I enjoy the beauty of the Dandenongs. Weather has extremes but is more tolerable than here (in my opinion!)
Definitely worth a go. :)

Have a read of Buzzy--bee's threads when he did his reccies there and up here, lots of good stuff in there.

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer May 4th 2008 4:32 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 6304062)
Never likely to make the move, but the idea does appeal. I like Melbourne - seems to be more vibrant, just feels more lively. I like the restaurants, bars, and I enjoy the beauty of the Dandenongs. Weather has extremes but is more tolerable than here (in my opinion!)
Definitely worth a go. :)

Have a read of Buzzy--bee's threads when he did his reccies there and up here, lots of good stuff in there.

Yes, have read Buzzy's threads - very informative! :)

The area around the Dandenongs is somewhere I have identified as a possible!! Only 45 mins to the city but bush on your doorstep!

The weather's not an issue really as we know that Mellie still gets some fine, fine summers - in fact, it would be nice to get 'cold' and chuck a few logs on the fire once in a while! :p

Still not sure what we are doing yet but never say never!!

Anyone else in a similar boat then? Rest assured I;m gonna keep bumping the heck outta this thread! :p:devil_smile:

nightnurse2 May 4th 2008 5:08 am

Can't offer any advice, other than go for it!
You're young, have no children so are free to up sticks. If it isn't right, you can always move back or try somewhere else.

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer May 4th 2008 7:59 am

Originally Posted by nightnurse2 (Post 6304485)
Can't offer any advice, other than go for it!
You're young, have no children so are free to up sticks. If it isn't right, you can always move back or try somewhere else.

That's exactly right nursie, and pretty much the way we view life right now. There's nothing (except jobs) tieing us to anyone place and, hey, life is for living right? :thumbsup:

wmoore May 4th 2008 9:48 am

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer (Post 6304839)
That's exactly right nursie, and pretty much the way we view life right now. There's nothing (except jobs) tieing us to anyone place and, hey, life is for living right? :thumbsup:

Too right. That was kinda what moved us to Darwin in '06. That move didn't work for us but Brisbane to Melbourne is a different proposition. I'm not too fussed on Melbourne to be honest, just didn't get a feel for the place but good luck to you, I hope it all falls nicely into place ;) So don't ask me specific questions about the move, except maybe regarding actual logistics of it. Having moved inter-state twice, I'm quite an authority on the subject :D

PS How dare you slag off Queensland. Brisbane is centre of the universe and the Gold Coast is God's tropical resort :p

Geelong Gent May 4th 2008 12:14 pm

Not sure if you have been to Melbourne yet?, but perhaps a starting point might be a long weekend break down here?

Catch up with some of us for a coffee or cold one? and we can show you places that might be of interest to you & family.

Just for some balance we recently stopped off in Brisbane on a business trip further up the coast :

Wife was well impressed with the retail shopping
City was much cleaner and vibrant than when I was last up that way.
Still was not impressed by the beach side mangrove swamps:p
Somehow the airport felt much more organised and more food options than Melbourne????

Stitch May 4th 2008 12:17 pm

Would love to move but to Adelaide...with hubby and kids, but can't afford to. I can see what you mean.

One life and all that. If you have the opportunity to give it a go then off you go. ......WHat about the inlaws??

Cheers

Ginny

chels May 4th 2008 12:38 pm

I moved from Sydney to Brisbane, after 3.5 years in Sydney. For me, it was the right thing to do (for now). I'd recommend a similar course of action if Brisbane isn't doing it for you - try somewhere else. You've got nothing to lose. QLD isn't everyone's cup of tea.

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer May 4th 2008 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by wmoore (Post 6305067)
Too right. That was kinda what moved us to Darwin in '06. That move didn't work for us but Brisbane to Melbourne is a different proposition. I'm not too fussed on Melbourne to be honest, just didn't get a feel for the place but good luck to you, I hope it all falls nicely into place ;) So don't ask me specific questions about the move, except maybe regarding actual logistics of it. Having moved inter-state twice, I'm quite an authority on the subject :D

PS How dare you slag off Queensland. Brisbane is centre of the universe and the Gold Coast is God's tropical resort :p

You may well be a good bloke to know then! :)
We were discussing the logisitics of it all yesterday arvo in the pub - have yet to work out the best way to find a rental ready for us to move into the day we arrive (if we decide to go) without having to put furniture into storage and get short term accom!! Removals aint a problem as I have my truck license so we'll do it ourselves and hitch a trailer on the back for the car - will probably sell the other one and buy new when there.

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent (Post 6305543)
Not sure if you have been to Melbourne yet?, but perhaps a starting point might be a long weekend break down here?

Catch up with some of us for a coffee or cold one? and we can show you places that might be of interest to you & family.

Just for some balance we recently stopped off in Brisbane on a business trip further up the coast :

Wife was well impressed with the retail shopping
City was much cleaner and vibrant than when I was last up that way.
Still was not impressed by the beach side mangrove swamps:p
Somehow the airport felt much more organised and more food options than Melbourne????

Yep, we have a long weekend planned in the very near future. Dates TBC. Will definitely give you a nod, a kind gesture, thanks. :)

Originally Posted by Stitch (Post 6305555)
Would love to move but to Adelaide...with hubby and kids, but can't afford to. I can see what you mean.

One life and all that. If you have the opportunity to give it a go then off you go. ......WHat about the inlaws??

Cheers

Ginny

The in-laws can go n stuff themselves!!!
What, between hating it here, it being boring, wanting to go back to the UK (the place they hated so much and couldnt wait to leave) and at the same time still looking at real estate in QLD constantly - god knows what they are doing!!!!????
We mentioned Melbourne to them thinking they would approve (bear in mind they have never been and know jack about it), were met with, "the weather is the same as England, it's too cold there, full of wogs and aboriginals, it's just like the UK, why would we want to go there - we may as well go back to the UK as it's just the same". I honestly despair with em! :curse:

jad n rich May 4th 2008 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer (Post 6303779)
We are currently in Brisbane. Moved here from the UK in September last year. Now, as much as we love where we live and have no intention (ever) of going back to the UK, we have been thinking for some time that perhaps Melbourne might be able to offer us more in the way of the lifestyle that we are seeking.....I won't go into the in's and out's of why etc.....there'll only be those who wish to slate me for it and protect QLD blah blah.....:huh:

Nothing is set in stone yet, we are merely going through the 'research' phase and weighing up the pros, cons and the viability of it all.

Is there anyone else on BE who has lived in QLD and moved to Victoria? Would be great to hear your comparisons on the different states/ cities and in particular, your reasons for making the move. Failing that, is there anyone in a similar boat who is also considering making the move?

Have you checked out airfares, seats look a bit patchy but SC to melb, may june is only $74 each way. We go down a couple of times each winter, plus occasional summer, thats a very good fare.

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer May 4th 2008 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 6307511)
Have you checked out airfares, seats look a bit patchy but SC to melb, may june is only $74 each way. We go down a couple of times each winter, plus occasional summer, thats a very good fare.

Thanks for the tip guys - which airline/ website do you book through? :)
How do you guys compare Melbourne to Brisbane - noted that you're not entirely happy here.

jad n rich May 4th 2008 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer (Post 6307556)
Thanks for the tip guys - which airline/ website do you book through? :)
How do you guys compare Melbourne to Brisbane - noted that you're not entirely happy here.

www.jetstar.com.au

www.virginblue.com.au

We lived in melbourne, parents in law ( well just one now ) still live there.

I like melbourne, the biggest problem for us, was the bits I like are inner city, and the nice inner city suburbs are mega seriously expenisve, rents in kew, hampton, brighton, even balwyn type areas, rents alone can be $600 - $1900 :eek::rofl: a week. Houses, knockovers start around $700,000 to a million, nice houses are easily 2 million, and most of that is on tiny ( now subdivided land ) they call 750sq extra large :blink: thats basically a double block now.

If your happy to live a hour out rents are much the same as here, but for us, with traffic down there even 20 klms can be a long commute, even drive on the weekend. Brissie traffic is bad enough.

So in a nutshell, for us, to capture melbs advantages we would want inner city and quite frankly for the money that would cost we can buy a palace here with a huge amount of land. Our house down your way, well it cost about a quarter of what the parents in laws place is worth in melb but with similar distance to city and beach. Actually its better than than that ours is right opposite the water :thumbup: theirs is 3 streets back and you cant see it.

I dont mind the weather down there, last 2 years its been particuarly dry, it is in drought, more often its a bit wetter/less sunny than that, nothing to put me off, the only part of melb weather I cannot stand, is around december jan etc, the flies, we found it simply revolting to to go outside, and thats a big consideration for rich who has to work outside, he cant stand it, but hes a whinging aussie :rofl: whos from melb.

I think our problem with OZ now, is not any particular place, it has some great places - for a while, we just get bored, miss the diversity of europe/usa. But with high school age kids we are hardly in a postion to flit around, and travel is maga expensive from OZ.

Anyway grab those airfares they probably wont last long . :thumbup: