Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone move to Oz with a job already?

Anyone move to Oz with a job already?

Old Mar 5th 2007, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

delama is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone move to Oz with a job already?

Hi there,
I'd love to hear from people who managed to get a job before moving to Australia. Is this a realistic goal? Did it take long to find the job? Did you have to go over for interviews, or was it all on the phone? How long between getting the job offer, and actually moving?
I find it quite daunting thinking about leaving 2 good jobs to go over to nothing!!

M
Old Mar 5th 2007, 1:38 pm
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone move to Oz with a job already?

Originally Posted by delama
Hi there,
I'd love to hear from people who managed to get a job before moving to Australia. Is this a realistic goal? Did it take long to find the job? Did you have to go over for interviews, or was it all on the phone? How long between getting the job offer, and actually moving?
I find it quite daunting thinking about leaving 2 good jobs to go over to nothing!!

M
Hi, I had a job lined up even before getting the visa!!! I am a nurse so I think it was relatively easy for me compared to some professions.

I looked on seek.com and had an agency ring me within 2 hours but ended up emailing my current job direct and pestering until they gave in!!!!

Hubby was different - -he had to be here already before he could apply - -got in no problem though - -he's a paramedic.

Hope this helps.

xRachx

Good luck
Old Mar 5th 2007, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there,

M
Both myself and my wife have secured jobs prior to going out there in 1 month's time. Both got our jobs with about 9 months to go.
The key thing I think is to already have your visa, have a date when you'll be landing in OZ AND have jobs that are in demand.
I contacted technical job agencies initially to enquire about availability of work in my field (usually sourced off seek.com.au) and contacted firms in Cairns direct. I had 4 firms interested and had a phone interview with 2 of them. (both offered me the job). another firm couldn't commit so 9 mths before I arrived and the other wanted me to go to London for interview at their London office. As I had already been offered 2 positions I declined to go.
I'm a CAD drafter, wifey is MH nurse (newly qualified). We're going to Cairns and were worried about the work prospects up there so for us it was essential to find work prior to going.

Andy
Old Mar 5th 2007, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Willij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura about

Hi,

My husband had lined his job up in the U.K. with a European company that also has an Australian arm. He met his Australian manager when he came over on business a number of months before we moved.

We had already arranged our visa and had a provisional move date.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Hi there,

M
It can be done, but it probably depends on your skills.

My husband is in IT and he got his job before we left the UK. Once we had validated our visas and had a provisional departure date for the move, he started looking out for possible employment opportunities (this was about 6 months before our intended departure date). He found his job on seek.com - first interviews were conducted by telephone and final interviews by video conferencing.

We moved to Oz about 3 months after he got the job offer and he started the job about a month after that.

Best of luck with your job hunting.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

kirrane is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

M
i got a job before the visa . just waiting for it to come through . i went to australia needs skills in manchester and got sorted . through the western australia government association. so it is possible . most firms who sponser also offer help with rempoval costs and sort the visa out. its a temp visa to start with you can apply for permament when you get there
hope this helps
Old Mar 6th 2007, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

TheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really nice

Originally Posted by kirrane
i got a job before the visa . just waiting for it to come through . i went to australia needs skills in manchester and got sorted . through the western australia government association. so it is possible . most firms who sponser also offer help with rempoval costs and sort the visa out. its a temp visa to start with you can apply for permament when you get there
hope this helps
I arranged an interview in January and am starting on 2 April. It can be done, but what sealed the deal in my case was that I could actually go to a face to face interview rather than over the phone as by pure dumb lukc, I was going to be in Aus when they wanted to interview.

I would also say that it depends on the industry you are in. IT is less comfortable with recruiting from overseas and phone interviews than oil & gas or construction.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 10:06 pm

Alana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to behold

I posted my CV on the QLD health website.I was contacted by a nurse manager and offered a job after a telephone interview.I then applied for my visa.
Whole process took 6 months but my employers were happy to wait until I was ready to start and have held the job for me.
Good Luck
Andy
Old Mar 9th 2007, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

vopxxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alana and Arrons mum
I posted my CV on the QLD health website.I was contacted by a nurse manager and offered a job after a telephone interview.I then applied for my visa.
Whole process took 6 months but my employers were happy to wait until I was ready to start and have held the job for me.
Good Luck
Andy
I'll be going to Sydney in April 07 under 457 visa with my wife as the main applicant (her company sponsored her) - could you guys give me any pointers as to what Agencies i should start and any ideas on I can covert my CV from UK what usuallly 2 pages into 3-4 pages to suit the Oz market - I am looking to work in the IT Project Management using Prince 2 methodology.

Thanks.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

we came with job too and yes I completely with you, couldn't come with just a hope of finding work ... mind you I wouldn't have moved in UK to new area without a job there first either!

we're sponsored in (couldn't get enough points any other way)

we had telephone interviews, lots of emails, came for reccie and face to face in May, application all in in July, approval end of August, here October! Funny to think this time last year we'd not even got very far!
Old Mar 9th 2007, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Speargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really nice

Hi there,

M
This is a nightmare and im firmly in your camp...after trying loads of job vacancies and having loads of non replies...it seem to be if you arent there with a visa you have no chance of getting a job!! Scary to think we are going to leave a good job here and become unemployed to try and start again all over there! I guess we just have to not doubt our own abilities!