Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Melbourne???!

Anyone in Melbourne???!

Old Feb 8th 2008, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone in Melbourne???!

Originally Posted by hereshoping
We're moving over in July (hopefully, got the visa need to sell the house) and also heading to CBD or the surroundings.

Sounds like we like the same kind of things, maybe I can pick your brains when you get out there?
just ask questions on here mate. Loadfs of people willing to give info

best of luck

al
Old Feb 8th 2008, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mr Anderson
just ask questions on here mate. Loadfs of people willing to give info

best of luck

al
Yes but normally when I ask questions about areas of melbourne etc people say 'information of a forum is no substitute for visiting the areas'

I'd love to visit the areas we're considering but it's a little far from essex

Anyway if anyone has any advice on good areas for a couple in their late 20s close to the CBD with good public transport (especially trams). We want a cafe culture, good restaurants, and to be able to buy a 2 bed appartment for about $450,000.

Would ideally like an area we can stay in for 5 years or so, by which time we might have a little un or two so ideally would be good for young kids too. Don't know if that is possible to match with our current needs though. If we did find an area that match current and future needs we would prob look for a 3 bed place for about $500,000 to $550,000.

Any help much appreciated.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold

Yes but normally when I ask questions about areas of melbourne etc people say 'information of a forum is no substitute for visiting the areas'

I'd love to visit the areas we're considering but it's a little far from essex

Anyway if anyone has any advice on good areas for a couple in their late 20s close to the CBD with good public transport (especially trams). We want a cafe culture, good restaurants, and to be able to buy a 2 bed appartment for about $450,000.

Would ideally like an area we can stay in for 5 years or so, by which time we might have a little un or two so ideally would be good for young kids too. Don't know if that is possible to match with our current needs though. If we did find an area that match current and future needs we would prob look for a 3 bed place for about $500,000 to $550,000.

Any help much appreciated.
i mate

just have a look on realestate.com.au for what you can afford.

Click to searcxh by map, then click on Melbourne cbd. then click on "all melbourne suburbs" Then type in min 2 bed and your price max and click ok. Sort them by price. All areas of melbourne are good inner city and centraL.

dEPENDS WHAT YOU WANT.
RICHMOND CARLTON FITZROY BRUNSWICK- studenty/grungy/live bands/restaurants

Kew/malvern/armidale/toorak upper end of market upmarket areas

Elwood/st kilda/brighton/sandringham/hampton slightly leafy to vdery leafy beach suburbs

Williamstown/yarraville/seddon/neweport/spotswood all trendy up and coming suburbs

but all have good and bad streets, great and crap cafes and loads of parks. You name it melbournes got it

Its a small city

Rent a ccar when you get here, have a map of the areas ands just drive. Mininmise it to high street in the town to get a feel for the place. believe me its a good start. Only you know what you like. No one person can tell you whats good otr bad, rough or posh, its all a matter of your own judgement and people will disagree with my comments obn the above areas probably but its a loittle start for you.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mr Anderson
Rent a ccar when you get here, have a map of the areas ands just drive. Mininmise it to high street in the town to get a feel for the place. believe me its a good start. Only you know what you like. No one person can tell you whats good otr bad, rough or posh, its all a matter of your own judgement and people will disagree with my comments obn the above areas probably but its a loittle start for you.
See I said everyone always said to go look for myself

been on domain.com.au and realestate.com.au practically everyday for about the past 6 months

Thanks for the list though, It really really is useful to get other peoples opinions as a starting point.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

Anyway if anyone has any advice on good areas for a couple in their late 20s close to the CBD with good public transport (especially trams). We want a cafe culture, good restaurants, and to be able to buy a 2 bed appartment for about $450,000..
SOunds like someone needs to live in sunny South Yarra....!!!!
Old Feb 11th 2008, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pommy Dan
SOunds like someone needs to live in sunny South Yarra....!!!!
South Yara hey... tis on my list of places to check out when we finally get out there

ta muchly
Old Feb 11th 2008, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

South Yara hey... tis on my list of places to check out when we finally get out there

ta muchly
I am biased cos i have lived there for nearly 5 years, now. Nice area, tree lined streets, only 5km from the CBD, great Tram and train links, good shopping, nice cafes, lots of pubs, bars and clubs....

Need i go on?
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pommy Dan
I am biased cos i have lived there for nearly 5 years, now. Nice area, tree lined streets, only 5km from the CBD, great Tram and train links, good shopping, nice cafes, lots of pubs, bars and clubs....

Need i go on?
No, sign me up